Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4989949596979899
Results 1,961 to 1,979 of 1979

Thread: the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Which will ultimately amount to a meaningless gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    So is Roberts going to write his own opinion, go along with ending Roe, or try to put something together with the left?
    I think it will be 5-3-1, with Sotomayor, Kagan and Breyer dissenting (with Sotomayor likely writing the “main” dissent - the other two may write their own dissents as well, and all 3 will join in all of the dissents) and Roberts writing an opinion concurring in the judgment (i.e., the statute stands), but not the reasoning (i.e., the statue is OK under Roe/Casey and Roe/Casey should not be overruled). Unfortunately, the 5 is the only thing that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakelaw2006 View Post
    I think it will be 5-3-1, with Sotomayor, Kagan and Breyer dissenting (with Sotomayor likely writing the “main” dissent - the other two may write their own dissents as well, and all 3 will join in all of the dissents) and Roberts writing an opinion concurring in the judgment (i.e., the statute stands), but not the reasoning (i.e., the statue is OK under Roe/Casey and Roe/Casey should not be overruled). Unfortunately, the 5 is the only thing that matters.
    If one more person joined Roberts, what would be the next result of a 4-3-2 vote?

Message Board Genius
    4-3-2-1

Quote Originally Posted by deactherunner View Post
    If one more person joined Roberts, what would be the next result of a 4-3-2 vote?
    While it wouldn't be the opinion of the court, the Roberts opinion would essentially control - Roe/Casey stand and so does the statute.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post
    To reiterate the point that Roberts is by no stretch a moderate...
    Last edited by Wakelaw2006; 05-16-2022 at 02:30 PM.

Dickie Hemric
    We’re being ruled by assholes and idiots.
    I love mankind...it’s people I can’t stand!!

Zero chance the Pelosis, Schumers or Clyburns of the world have any problem with this

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Seems like it shouldn’t be hard to make a simple case for government.

“In a capitalist country, government protects individual rights and the public good. Without government protections, wealthy people can do whatever they want to violate your rights for their own benefit.”

The dismantling of the United States is well on its way. Thanks, Republicans!

Yeah, the republic is ending. It’s been a descent run… the late 1960s though the late 1990s were good at least.
    Birds are real.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    It's been a descent
    Freudian.
    Last edited by Shooshmoo; 05-18-2022 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooshmoo View Post
    Freudian.
    Lol, whoops.
    Birds are real.

It is insane, but it's not surprising. There has been chatter and speculation ever since Trump started ramming through far-right federal judges in 2017 that severely restricting the ability of federal agencies to do their jobs would be a part of their agenda. Turns out the speculation was accurate.