• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

plama

Reaction score
So for those of us who don't know, what are we looking at here for the next few decades? Certain States can outlaw abortion? Hymen monitoring devices now allowed? 3/5ths of a person coming back? Solar Energy deemed unconstitutional?

How is life in America actually about to change? For the first time and first thread in the boards' history.... lawyer talk is actually encouraged.

People smarter than me...

Could the dems impeach kavanaugh based on his lies to congress? The huge number of complaints against him Roberts dismissed once he was confirmed?

I think you'd need a two-thirds vote in the Senate to remove any SC justice, and even if the Dems win a majority they won't have nearly that many seats, so the answer is almost certainly no.

I'm going to try and stay relatively apolitical in this post, but there are some issues now at play in the immediate short-term.

First, I don't think the seat gets filled prior to the election. Murkowski supposedly (someone on Fox News mentioned this tonight) that she won't vote on a nominee until after the election (it was unclear if that meant after the election or after a new president has been inaugurated). Susan Collins is in a very tight race in Maine and her vote for Kavanaugh is a major issue in that Senate race, so I don't think she would vote prior to the election.

Now, if something comes to the Supreme Court with this election, we have eight justices. I think Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh vote as a bloc towards Trump. Same with Breyer, Kagan and Sotomayor. John Roberts has been the swing vote of the court lately; if he sides with the liberal bloc, we have a 4-4 decision in a case that might not have a legal precedent to side on. That could cause some major disruption in the case of a dispute in the election.

That being said, if Trump and McConnell do move ahead with a nominee, I see him nominating Amy Coney Barrett.

She's kinda hot, probably Trump's type.

There won't be a confirmation vote until next term. Romney, Collins, murkowski and mcsalley. There are more. Average Supreme Court nominations takes ten weeks.

But trump just got handed an issue and he is trailing. He will challenge Biden to name his nominee so this will be on the ballot.

I mean evangelicals were locked the fuck in already to vote trump in the hopes that RGB died so not much ground to gain there, it’s also kinda sad how you think republicans have any morals to not hold a vote.

There won't be a confirmation vote until next term. Romney, Collins, murkowski and mcsalley. There are more. Average Supreme Court nominations takes ten weeks.

But trump just got handed an issue and he is trailing. He will challenge Biden to name his nominee so this will be on the ballot.

Yeah?

This is a. 200 year old controversy Read about the midnight judges and how it shaped American legal history.

It blows my mind that people think republican senators will do anything other than fall the fuck in line. How much more evidence do you assholes need?

This is a. 200 year old controversy Read about the midnight judges and how it shaped American legal history.

You think the current Republican Party gives any fucks about something that happened 200 years ago? They want to stay in power and they don’t care how the fuck it happens.

This aged well.

Romney, Collins and murkowski still all no. One more kills conformation.

Back