Page 98 of 99 FirstFirst ... 488893949596979899 LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 1979

Thread: the official new supreme court thread - Very political

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacsPop View Post

No; this is how the world operates. Especially politicians.
    Well now who's being cynical?

[QUOTE=DeacsPop;3881875]
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Pop, why would Roberts reveal results of an investigation that hurts his side? Thatís now how conservatives operate.

No; this is how the world operates. Especially politicians.
    BOTH SIDES!
    Birds are real.

I bet SCOTUS is pretty ugly right now. Also not going to be much fun at the neighborhood cookouts this year in the Kavanaugh and Alito neighborhoods now that the neighbors are feeding and helping the protesters. I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Well now who's being cynical?
    No, thatís fact.

I haven't had a chance to read much about why it was leaked. What's the prevailing thought?

Smokescreen by conservatives to take heat off the actual issue of the decision?

Some altruistic motive by a clerk who feels his side has lost their way? 🤣

Roberts working behind the scenes to try to secure the legacy he cares about?

Basically what was posted above now that there have been other leaks. Iím sure Fox News is still saying it was Sotomayor and KBJ though.

Well yeah, but they told on themselves with how quickly they tried to pimp the leak as the real story. They knew it was coming.

Never Murdered My FIL
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Karma View Post
    I haven't had a chance to read much about why it was leaked. What's the prevailing thought?

Smokescreen by conservatives to take heat off the actual issue of the decision?

Some altruistic motive by a clerk who feels his side has lost their way?

Roberts working behind the scenes to try to secure the legacy he cares about?
    Prevailing thought seems to be that it was leaked to lock in support from some of the less radical yes votes. Basically to force Roberts specifically to hold the line rather than come to some independent thought. Robertsí legacy of being a horrible leader who falls in line with the right wing of trumpís GOP remains intact.

No, it has to be the liberals who broke decorum.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    Prevailing thought seems to be that it was leaked to lock in support from some of the less radical yes votes. Basically to force Roberts specifically to hold the line rather than come to some independent thought. Robertsí legacy of being a horrible leader who falls in line with the right wing of trumpís GOP remains intact.
    I may be misunderstanding your point, but I think this was way more about making sure Kavanaugh (and maybe Gorsuch) couldnít be swayed to a more ďmoderateĒ (though still significantly curtailing abortion rights) opinion that Roberts would/will write (something like keeping the Casey undue burden standard (presumably doing away with viability) under the due process clause, but holding that a ban at 16 weeks does not impose an undue burden), rather than trying to get Roberts in line with Alitoís opinion. If no one can be flipped, they donít need Roberts. Alito, Thomas and Barrett (and probably Gorsuch and Kavanaugh) donít give a damn if itís 5-4 or 6-3. I will be pretty surprised if Roberts is in the majority if the Alito draft opinion (or the bulk and substance of it) ends up being the majority opinion. Roberts is not a moderate by any stretch and Iíll eat crow if Iím wrong, but this one just feels like one where Roberts will try to pretend like he is (similar to the ACA and LGBTQ Title VII cases).

If Kavanaugh was on the fence about moderate or not heís definitely not after the protests at his house. Heís a vindictive asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakelaw2006 View Post
    I may be misunderstanding your point, but I think this was way more about making sure Kavanaugh (and maybe Gorsuch) couldnít be swayed to a more ďmoderateĒ (though still significantly curtailing abortion rights) opinion that Roberts would/will write (something like keeping the Casey undue burden standard (presumably doing away with viability) under the due process clause, but holding that a ban at 16 weeks does not impose an undue burden), rather than trying to get Roberts in line with Alitoís opinion. If no one can be flipped, they donít need Roberts. Alito, Thomas and Barrett (and probably Gorsuch and Kavanaugh) donít give a damn if itís 5-4 or 6-3. I will be pretty surprised if Roberts is in the majority if the Alito draft opinion (or the bulk and substance of it) ends up being the majority opinion. Roberts is not a moderate by any stretch and Iíll eat crow if Iím wrong, but this one just feels like one where Roberts will try to pretend like he is (similar to the ACA and LGBTQ Title VII cases).
    Agree with all of this.

I think you're exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post
    He's so obviously just a bitter, bitter dude who wants revenge for all of the slights and liberal criticism he's gotten ever since the Anita Hill hearings. No doubt he's a right-wing ideologue, but that anger and resentment just seems to be the major part of his temperament. In that sense he's the perfect #MAGA judge.

Who placed the justices over the last 30 years?
    Letís get this done!

Balls and strikes, huh?

This makes sense.

So is Roberts going to write his own opinion, go along with ending Roe, or try to put something together with the left?

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

So is Roberts going to write his own opinion, go along with ending Roe, or try to put something together with the left?
    I think he will dissent from the complete overturn and try to write his way through the ďmoderateĒ path.