• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson should be fired for this effort

Claswon is building a program that will last. We need to stick behind these kids and coaches.

Claswon. I see what you did there. Sounds like a star wars character.

As for this game, tough loss and our defense needs much improvement. I can’t remember a Wake defense allowing these kinds of running lanes against a mediocre team. Also very disappointed in our d line.

Morin is going to be so, so good for us. Perry will continue to get better. Greene has to give a star effort every night and make more plays for us. Walker is an absolute BEAST and will only get better. He needs the lions share of the touches.

This thread is moronic. We are coming off of 4 bowl games and this is our first loss to state since 2016 and it was by 3 points AND this season doesn’t even really count. Clawson makes some questionable calls but he’s a calculated genius and usually wins these kinds of games. Going to be a long season. If we get through all 11 games I would consider 5 wins to be our ceiling. Most likely this will be a down year with 3 or 4 wins.

Everyone take a deep breath and try to realize the insignificance of this season, given the shitty times we are living in.

Hemphill 100% needs to go. Any DC and Safety coach who trots Masterson out there is rookie-Madden level bad. Not to mention the complete lack of DL stunts/twists/anything to not look like a JV squad.
Masterson is the only one we have...

I am very disappointed and would be pretty angry if this were a "normal" season. But Dave has earned the right to preside over a shitshow or two this year (and that's what tonight was) given the circumstances and the limited prep time. Let's move on.

Hemphill 100% needs to go. Any DC and Safety coach who trots Masterson out there is rookie-Madden level bad. Not to mention the complete lack of DL stunts/twists/anything to not look like a JV squad.

Lol yea Masterson is the only problem with that pathetic D. Was he even playing at the end of the year last year when the defense was just as pathetic? Pretty sure he was out injured.

I am very disappointed and would be pretty angry if this were a "normal" season. But Dave has earned the right to preside over a shitshow or two this year (and that's what tonight was) given the circumstances and the limited prep time. Let's move on.

TITCR

The defense is trash this year. No way around that. It's both scheme and execution as far as I can tell but it's also in such bad shape it's hard to tell what exactly the issue is. We haven't stopped Clemson or State so far this year and honestly haven't been close enough to doing so to tell how we even can with our current decisions.

Our linebackers continue to miss tackles and be out of position. Masterson tries but the fact he continues to start shows how bad our defense is. Did we really wait around for 6 year DT fox for this? Basham isn't dominant either. A couple big plays after 2 games is not enough for this team.

I disagree about Boogie. There have been times he's single handedly made a difference. I think he's surrounded by such mediocrity it's hard to make much happen.

I disagree about Boogie. There have been times he's single handedly made a difference. I think he's surrounded by such mediocrity it's hard to make much happen.

I think you meant “incompetence” instead of “mediocrity”.

Remember when people started defending Grobe by claiming he’d “earned” the right to preside over a shitshow or two? That usually doesn’t go well.

There are some similarities between Grobe's 2009 season and Clawson's 2019 season. In 2009, the Deacs started 4-2 with 3 point losses to RGIII's Baylor squad and to BC. That run ended with a win against a bad MD team in which we got up 35-10 early and then let off the gas to finish 42-32. Then we went 1-5 the rest of the season with a lone win against Duke. That's when the cracks in the Grobe approach started to become obvious but there were plenty of people who stuck with "In Grobe I Trust." We started 2010 with lackluster wins against Presby and Duke then lost 9 straight before beating Vandy to end the season. Never had a winning season again.

In 2019, we started 7-1. That run ended with a win against a bad State team in which we got up 21-0 early and then cruised to a 44-10 win. Then we went 1-4 the rest of the season with a lone win against Duke. A 3 win season this year looks likely.

Now Clawson shouldn't be fired for this. But he definitely shouldn't escape criticism either.

Let's see how the rest of this season unfolds before we conclude that Clawson's best days at WF are behind him. I think that's a little premature. Fix the defense (easier said than done after last night) and I feel pretty good about where we are.

Just stop with all the “this season doesn’t count” b.s.
Using that excuse is just trying to makes yourselves feel better about a bad team.

Just stop with all the “this season doesn’t count” b.s.
Using that excuse is just trying to makes yourselves feel better about a bad team.

I agree. Before the season started I honestly wished it would just get canceled with the Covid situation screwing it up. However, we are playing, there will be a conference champion and league standings, so to say this isn’t a real season is BS. Teams like Campbell, The Citadel or even a BYU can say this is an exhibition season, but we can’t and it should be judged accordingly.

This season does count! and this team is really shitty

Coaches don't get "passes". That team was completely unprepared for that game last night.

We don't need to lose Clawson but the defense has not been good in a long while.

That has to get fixed. Scoring 42 should be enough to beat State without a top QB.

That was an extraordinarily bad defensive showing last night but still far from the worse one in the Clawson era.

Back