• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson should be fired for this effort

You can find lots of overweight people. The question is ..."Can they play football in the ACC?"

Boogie Basham, Tyler Williams, Sulaiman Kamara, Jacory Johns are our starters, those guys should be able to play football in the ACC.

Boogie Basham, Tyler Williams, Sulaiman Kamara, Jacory Johns are our starters, those guys should be able to play football in the ACC.

That's the plan but getting pushed all over the field by NCSU is concerning. Now, is it poor technique and lack of coaching? I have no idea. Guess we'll know more in 5-6 weeks.

That's the plan but getting pushed all over the field by NCSU is concerning. Now, is it poor technique and lack of coaching? I have no idea. Guess we'll know more in 5-6 weeks.

Yeah, it's very concerning that a perceived strength coming into the season (D-line) is showing itself to be a major weakness so far. It was to say, "well it was Clemson" after the 1st game, but no reason that unit shouldn't have been able to play well against State.

Clawson shouldn't be fired (not that I think WRS even believes that in the light of day). He will, on average, win enough games to get us to a bowl more often than not. We will usually be competitive with the middle of the conference. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle in a season like last year, but where injuries don't stack up and we win 10 games.

That's really all that I ask for out of Wake football. We will suck this year for a variety of reasons, but that is going to happen with Wake football every so often.

Duke scored 6 points on 5 turnovers against BC just for some perspective on what truly awful is.

Clawson shouldn't be fired (not that I think WRS even believes that in the light of day). He will, on average, win enough games to get us to a bowl more often than not. We will usually be competitive with the middle of the conference. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle in a season like last year, but where injuries don't stack up and we win 10 games.

That's really all that I ask for out of Wake football. We will suck this year for a variety of reasons, but that is going to happen with Wake football every so often.

Spot on with reasonable expectations. Also current CFB trends hurt Wake worse than other teams. It was frustrating to watch Lawrence and Etienne carve us apart while our two best offensive threats from last year are no longer on our team to prep for the NFL. Even if Clemson's entire senior class sat out to get ready for combines they would still have beaten us, but Wake can't afford for our several draft potentials to sit out.

unfortunately this is correct

I don't disagree with most of that, but what was so troubling to me after watching Saturday night was our defense was supposed to be better than this. We lost to Clemson, everybody expected it, no big deal. A loss to an inspired State team while not acceptable, would've been a little easier to stomach if we'd turned it over 3 times or whatever. However, to get totally dominated by their offense the way we did, to just get totally outcoached was very troubling.

I don't disagree with most of that, but what was so troubling to me after watching Saturday night was our defense was supposed to be better than this. We lost to Clemson, everybody expected it, no big deal. A loss to an inspired State team while not acceptable, would've been a little easier to stomach if we'd turned it over 3 times or whatever. However, to get totally dominated by their offense the way we did, to just get totally outcoached was very troubling.

I'm not sure who, outside of Clawson and Pilch, actually thought our D would be better this year. I will agree that the front 4's troubles are mystifying, but we are basically playing the same LBs that were awful last year and replacing 2 sr.'s at cornerback. This team does not, on paper, project to be any good on D.

I'm not sure who, outside of Clawson and Pilch, actually thought our D would be better this year. I will agree that the front 4's troubles are mystifying, but we are basically playing the same LBs that were awful last year and replacing 2 sr.'s at cornerback. This team does not, on paper, project to be any good on D.

The front 4 is really what I'm talking about. That was supposed to be a strength and it has been nothing but a weakness. Even the secondary seemed to played a halfway decent game Saturday night, given who we had back there. The defensive line was awful. Yeah stopping the run falls on the LB's too, but the defensive line can't allow themselves to be pushed around to the point of creating huge running lanes and expect our subpar LB's to make plays. They've also got to get pressure on the opposing QB. Boogie hasn't been a force and he hasn't been. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with teams doing everything they can to stop him, but that's where the others have to step up and win their one on one battles to help open things up for him. Extremely disappointed in the d-line so far.

The ACC is not the Lake Woebegone of college football. Teams will have down years, some more than others. Wake will always have to count on a lot of things going right (including things going wrong at other schools) to contend for the title.

I doubt its long now until Claswon starts putting out fillers in the coaching community lookinf for something else. If something happens and Frost doesnt last at Nebraska I think youll see Jim there next year.

WF's corners played decently Saturday night, even outside of the Pick 6. The problem on Saturday night was not the cornerback play.

Congrats, if you could predict that WF's front 7 with essentially everyone returning, including a projected #1 pick, would massively regress to start the season. Last year, it was essentially the same front 7 for WF (plus Miles Fox) and the same OL and RBs for State, and they ran for 116 yards. This year, they ran for 271 yards, with a backup QB running the Pack offense. I applaud all those who could see this coming. I did not.

Last edited:
WF's corners played decently Saturday night, even outside of the Pick 6. The problem on Saturday night was not the cornerback play.

Congrats, if you could predict that WF's front 7 with essentially everyone returning, including a projected #1 pick, would massively regress to start the season. Last year, it was essentially the same front 7 for WF (plus Miles Fox) and the same OL and RBs for State, and they ran for 116 yards. This year, they ran for 271 yards, with a backup QB running the Pack offense. I applaud all those who could see this coming. I did not.

Hockman (the backup QB) started 12 for 12. Some of those passes were two RBs, but I would say the corners had some responsibility for allowing that to happen.

Duke scored 6 points on 5 turnovers against BC just for some perspective on what truly awful is.

They scored 6 and committed 5 TOs....for clarification. BC's point total greatly impacted by that fact. Without them, they probably still win but more like 17-6. BC's D looked better vs Duke than ND's.

Back