• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson should be fired for this effort

Hockman (the backup QB) started 12 for 12. Some of those passes were two RBs, but I would say the corners had some responsibility for allowing that to happen.

Not really. State's top two receivers in yardage were their tight ends. No State wideout had more than 24 yards receiving. WF CB Ja'Sir Taylor had more yards on his INT than any State WR had. Not defending the pathetic WF defense, but to claim it stemmed for poor CB play could not be more wrong.

WF Conference Winning %
Rogers (5) .389
Amen (4) .278
Hildebrand (4) .222
Tate (4) .391
Stoll (3) .500
Harper (1) .167
Mills (5) .216
Mackovic (3) .389
Groh (6) .211
Dooley (6) .326
Caldwell (8) .188
Grobe (14) .404
Clawson (7) .320 (.333 to start season)

to start the season, Clawson also had the 2nd highest overall winning% (.474) since ACC inception (behind Grobe's .484)

WF's corners played decently Saturday night, even outside of the Pick 6. The problem on Saturday night was not the cornerback play.

Congrats, if you could predict that WF's front 7 with essentially everyone returning, including a projected #1 pick, would massively regress to start the season. Last year, it was essentially the same front 7 for WF (plus Miles Fox) and the same OL and RBs for State, and they ran for 116 yards. This year, they ran for 271 yards, with a backup QB running the Pack offense. I applaud all those who could see this coming. I did not.

Interesting. D sucked, out of position, late, bad angles. Not breaking down blocks. Pathetic effort. Not physically beaten, COACHING seems the issue.

I would have thought that Clawsen would outwork and out coach Everyone else in this weird time, that we would be mentally sharp while others may not be. Just the opposite. Dave needs to get this team together.

[/B]

The ACC is not the Lake Woebegone of college football. Teams will have down years, some more than others. Wake will always have to count on a lot of things going right (including things going wrong at other schools) to contend for the title.

This. We are lucky that FSU is still a complete show right now. When they get it together, it's going to be tough to win more than three games a year in the division.

Interesting. D sucked, out of position, late, bad angles. Not breaking down blocks. Pathetic effort. Not physically beaten, COACHING seems the issue.

I would have thought that Clawsen would outwork and out coach Everyone else in this weird time, that we would be mentally sharp while others may not be. Just the opposite. Dave needs to get this team together.

In Clawson’s defense I don’t think he’s been able to even touch his wife in weeks because of the quarantine thing they’re doing, so he may not be at his best.

Team not prepared.

Clawson should be told do not put another team on the field that unprepared. It appeared that the defense didn't have a clue what to do. Is it time for a complete defense shakeup? These are Clawson's recruits and a shakeup needs to be done. I have been a Deacon fan for sixty years and have seen many Deac games, but TO ME this could have been the worst I have ever seen. The defensive backs looked totally lost. I will not call the players names and humiliate them, but I would blame it on poor coaching. Yes the circumstances are most difficult and I realize that, but it is what it is!

I’m back! Obviously this was a huge overreaction post sponsored by copious amounts of Eagle Rare but boy was that one of the most disappointing games I’ve seen under Clawson. Just looked like a completely different team than we are used to seeing considering quality of opponent. I know covid, 2020, Surratt, etc but that was not promising in the least.

I’m back! Obviously this was a huge overreaction post sponsored by copious amounts of Eagle Rare but boy was that one of the most disappointing games I’ve seen under Clawson. Just looked like a completely different team than we are used to seeing considering quality of opponent. I know covid, 2020, Surratt, etc but that was not promising in the least.

I watched a replay of some the game. I can't tell if we're out of position on defense because we're slow or if it looks like we're slow because we're so out of position. Somewhere in all that lies the truth I guess. Need to take advantage of not playing for two weeks and get a ton of things fixed. But if it's truly a talent issue, I don't think that can be fixed.

WF Conference Winning %
Rogers (5) .389
Amen (4) .278
Hildebrand (4) .222
Tate (4) .391
Stoll (3) .500
Harper (1) .167
Mills (5) .216
Mackovic (3) .389
Groh (6) .211
Dooley (6) .326
Caldwell (8) .188
Grobe (14) .404
Clawson (7) .320 (.333 to start season)

to start the season, Clawson also had the 2nd highest overall winning% (.474) since ACC inception (behind Grobe's .484)

Whenever Clawson leaves WF, he won’t leave with anything close to the win percentage of Grobe.

Threads like this are annoying because of their predictability. Of course someone posts this in the middle of a game like last week’s. Of course people take the argument seriously and actually debate the topic. Of course the poster later comes back and sheepishly admits it was alcohol-fueled. Who could have guessed?

It’s like the familiar sitcom trope where a male protagonist does something dumb and goes through an episode of folly and by the end he’s confessing to what lessons he’s learned. And the whole thing could’ve just been avoided from the beginning.

Yes I do think Clawson has some things to address. No, he should not be fired.

“Demon Deacons Don’t Drink and Post”

(That said, appreciate your passion.)

Threads like this are annoying because of their predictability. Of course someone posts this in the middle of a game like last week’s. Of course people take the argument seriously and actually debate the topic. Of course the poster later comes back and sheepishly admits it was alcohol-fueled. Who could have guessed?

It’s like the familiar sitcom trope where a male protagonist does something dumb and goes through an episode of folly and by the end he’s confessing to what lessons he’s learned. And the whole thing could’ve just been avoided from the beginning.

Yes I do think Clawson has some things to address. No, he should not be fired.

“Demon Deacons Don’t Drink and Post”

(That said, appreciate your passion.)

Agree.

WRS - how about changing the title of this post. We all agree that our defensive effort last week was awful and needs to be fixed. However, firing our coach now is not the solution.

Wake ran 85 offensive plays (49 rush, 36 pass) in the loss to State TOP: 29:01
Today Wake ran 66 offensive plays (49 rush, 17 pass) TOP: 29:42

So Clawson's offense ran 19 less plays in 41 more seconds today

Glad to see that he is listening to those of us who recognized that his fast paced offense was suicide with this thinly garrisoned defense.

If you told me that we would win 2 ACC games after the NCSU performance I would have said you were coo coo for cocoa puffs. Happily proven wrong, again!

Love me some Clawson!! Great win and great night!

Back