• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

front 7 on defense

berneses

Reaction score
Hugely disappointing so far and Clawson said so after the game last night. No pash rush, can't stop the run. Tons of returning players, probably one of the best returning groups in WFU defensive history. Any thoughts are why they have been so bad this year. Bad coaching? Is the DC in over his head? Did like Miles Fox at the end of the game and feel like he needs more playing time.

Only positive is I’m happy for Ja’Sir. He’s certainly paid his dues, still has some burn scars form his first couple of seasons, but he’s developed into a nice corner. The pick 6 last night got us back in it the 2nd time we went down 14 and really setup our comeback to take the lead before losing it.

Our LB's are no where to be seen. Play like they are carrying a load in their pants. Either get pancake blocked, take bad angles or are too slow to get to the corners.

Our LB's are no where to be seen. Play like they are carrying a load in their pants. Either get pancake blocked, take bad angles or are too slow to get to the corners.

Need to play the young athletic linebackers Zack Ranson, AJ Williams, and Chase Jones.

With our schedule, good or bad defense we were looking at a 1-2/0-3 start. We may get 2-3 wins at best now.

Not being able to see games in person, I can't tell from TV if we're just slow, out of position or if it's poor schemes installed by the DC. Or is it all of the above?
I've never understood the cushions that we give on defense. I get that the goal is to keep your man in front of you but there are times our defender isn't even in the frame and receivers are wide open.

On these 'stretch' running plays that tend to turn toward the outside, our LBs and Secondary seem to be unable to fight off blockers and get to the ball carrier. It almost seems to me that some of them think it's OK to stay tangled with their blocker and let someone else make the tackle after a huge gain. (I know that I'm probably wrong about that conclusion, but I swear that's what it looks like). I noticed it last year in the VT and Mich. St. games.

I'm planning to watch some of the 10:00pm replay tonight on ACCN (as much as I can stand) and focus in on some of those long running plays by State.

On these 'stretch' running plays that tend to turn toward the outside, our LBs and Secondary seem to be unable to fight off blockers and get to the ball carrier. It almost seems to me that some of them think it's OK to stay tangled with their blocker and let someone else make the tackle after a huge gain. (I know that I'm probably wrong about that conclusion, but I swear that's what it looks like). I noticed it last year in the VT and Mich. St. games.

I'm planning to watch some of the 10:00pm replay tonight on ACCN (as much as I can stand) and focus in on some of those long running plays by State.

Thanks. I am interested in this too.

Ralph Friedgen first did this to us years ago. We make stretch run plays look like Tommie Frazier triple option unstoppable.

My only guess is the safeties are supposed to come up and bust the running back. Masterson is not the answer.

Back