• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vizio vs TCL

The only weird thing with my TCL is like 20% of the time when I turn it on it isn't connected to the wifi, so I have to go into settings and click check connection, and then it connects right away every time. Weird, but not a major issue.

Yeah. That’s what happens to me.

The only weird thing with my TCL is like 20% of the time when I turn it on it isn't connected to the wifi, so I have to go into settings and click check connection, and then it connects right away every time. Weird, but not a major issue.

Similar happens with my LG. It will drop connection with the wifi and the only way to get it back is reconnect through settings. I turned off the auto-detect location feature and that seemed to have mostly solved the problem though. Seems to be a very common issue.

Yeah if you're not going to go OLED might as well go TCL imho. Incredible value. That being said, OLED is simply amazing and definitely worth the splurge.

fortunately in current place the ethernet jack is right by where I put the TV, so I can hard connect to the TV -- this stopped the internet connection issue

recommend that route if it's available to you

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like there is nothing to worry about going with a TCL. I did notice Walmart now has a Hisense brand pretty much identical but a 6 series (vs TCL's 4 series). Any experience with this brand? I'm just trying to avoid some "off brand" like Coby or some of the others out there.
I see the higher the series number the better the TV but is a Hisense 6 series better than a TCL 4 series? Is the Series grading universal across brands or can anyone call theirs a 6 for whatever reason?

All I know about Hisense is they were the headline sponsor for the 4K presentation of World Cup 2018, and failed to have their sets on the market by the time it started.

Have a 55" TCL 6 series and love it. Only regret is that I should've gone 65". I haven't looked at prices lately, but I got it a couple of years ago when they were the latest model with a 20% off eBay coupon. Bought it from an electronics chain in Nashville and no tax and free shipping so it was a great deal.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like there is nothing to worry about going with a TCL. I did notice Walmart now has a Hisense brand pretty much identical but a 6 series (vs TCL's 4 series). Any experience with this brand? I'm just trying to avoid some "off brand" like Coby or some of the others out there.
I see the higher the series number the better the TV but is a Hisense 6 series better than a TCL 4 series? Is the Series grading universal across brands or can anyone call theirs a 6 for whatever reason?

Just get the TCL -- easily the best value for the price. If you can spring for the 6 series (particularly if you can still find last years model at a reduced price), probably want to do that.

Just get the TCL -- easily the best value for the price. If you can spring for the 6 series (particularly if you can still find last years model at a reduced price), probably want to do that.

TCL is the way to the kids have them and one outside. Since they are spectrum app compatible I was able to get rid off all the boxes and just plug the tv's in the wall no other connections or remotes.

So...sort of related question.

I get a better quality picture watching Spectrum TV channels via the Spectrum app on Apple TV. Main drawback seems to be, as opposed to the DVR, I can't pause, rewind etc. live TV. I can with stuff I stream (like an on Demand movie).

Are there services or devices that will stream a 4k HDR live TV image that also allow that kind of (DVR-like) functionality?

Thx.

So...sort of related question.

I get a better quality picture watching Spectrum TV channels via the Spectrum app on Apple TV. Main drawback seems to be, as opposed to the DVR, I can't pause, rewind etc. live TV. I can with stuff I stream (like an on Demand movie).

Are there services or devices that will stream a 4k HDR live TV image that also allow that kind of (DVR-like) functionality?

Thx.

I think the general answer is no, but mainly because there's no live 4k tv anywhere so there's no need for live 4k tv DVR. There's plenty of 4k streaming services, Vudu has the occasionally 4k live event but no DVR due to the bandwidth. Otherwise you're just pausing/reminding a stream which is a different thing.

I think the general answer is no, but mainly because there's no live 4k tv anywhere so there's no need for live 4k tv DVR. There's plenty of 4k streaming services, Vudu has the occasionally 4k live event but no DVR due to the bandwidth. Otherwise you're just pausing/reminding a stream which is a different thing.

I know FuboTV has live 4K, but I know nothing about their DVR type services if any. Otherwise, what DC said.

FubuTV has a very limited number of live 4k broadcasts, but when they do have them you can't use their cloud DVR (unless something has recently changed). In other words, the leading live provider of 4k can't get 4k DVR working yet, so I'd assume we're a ways off from others getting it working short of extreme compression.

I'd guess once the NextGen OTA/ATSC 3.0 stuff actually becomes a thing we might get there, but the built-in DRM is no bueno for DVR so who knows.

Most 4K stuff is actually processed and up-converted 1080p stuff. Why don't they make it possible to dvr the 1080p stream, then convert it when you want to view it? I know many 4K TVs do the conversion on the fly as you view stuff.

To the original question I'd go with the TCL but be sure to also purchase whichever extended warranty is available (I'd suggest this for any brand.) I do quite a bit of TV repair as a side gig and spend a lot of time swapping out boards on TCL units (along with Vizio, Samsung, LG, etc. for that matter.) As the prices on these units drop so does the quality of the internal components. Given all of that, the next TV I purchase will undoubtedly be a TCL; their software is unparalleled at their price point right now.

So with a Roku TV I don’t have need a cable hookup?
Can I use it outside on my patio?
Thanks.

Back