• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vizio vs TCL

So with a Roku TV I don’t have need a cable hookup?
Can I use it outside on my patio?
Thanks.

Yes. That’s where I have one of my Roku TVs.

I highly recommend the 55". Good size for outside. Great bang for the buck.

to clarify, you do need to have decent wifi signal on your patio for it to work

antenna will all depend on your proximity to broadcast towers and obstructions around your house

you can google antenna maps to find out how far you are from various channels and buy an antenna with those ranges in mind

based on your stated location in your profile, it may not work for you, but I pay $5 a month for an app called Locast that gets me all the local Chicago channels without an antenna because I have a bad physical setup for using one

locast.org

think you have to verify your location to access it, but might be able to manipulate something with a VPN in your chosen network, not sure

I've got a 65" LG Plasma TV that really heats up our finished basement. Works great and still has a great picture but just too warm once its been on for a while. Looking to replace with either of these:
Costco....Vizio V655-H19 65" for $460 which includes a 3 year mfg warrantee.
Walmart..TCL 65". $428 + $54 for 3 year warrantee.
Pretty much identical extras (Smart TV, 3 HDMI inputs, LED, 4k....) but the TCL comes with a pretty user friendly Roku remote although we'd mostly use the Spectrum Universal or Fire Stick remotes.
Both are free delivery.
Pretty much used for TV, DVR and movie streaming.........not gaming.
Any comments? I'd like to stay under $500 'cuz I'm a cheap bastard.

Got the 65" TCL. Looks and sounds great. Noticed when I took down the Plasma it is actually a 60", not 65" so I feel like a got a bit more TV. All in with a 3year WM warranty it was about $515. As with my other Roku TV set up was a snap. Hooked up my sound bar using the optical cable. The only thing I noticed "off" was for the first day the voices seemed to sound like they were in a can with a slight echo. Turns out the sound bar was on and I had the volume up on the TV and it made it should funky. Easy fix, just listen through the TV or Sound Bar, but not both...duh. Very happy with it so far. Produces almost no heat, which is good.

What a time to be alive! $515 for a 65” TV plus warranty and you can watch whatever you want in a few minutes without having to call a cable company.

Best Buy is selling 75” TCL 8 series for $1,500.

https://apple.news/ALrFs3zpZSGmXKXMusOx5aQ

Went for a walk and ran into some friends who were going to Best Buy to get a new TV. I made a hard pitch for the 55” TCLs.

Last edited:
Don’t buy a Vizio. 2 years ago I bought a P65-E1 because it was a well reviewed 4k HDR TV. A month ago, it stopped powering on. It’s out of warranty by a few months (Amex double warranty). Vizio doesn’t have a repair service for out of warranty. They don’t sell parts directly, instead sending you to 3 web sites.

I took my TV to a repair shop locally who diagnosed a bad main board. But, they can’t get a replacement part from any of the Vizio approved sites. They’ve been trying for nearly a month. Vizio has just thrown their hands up. They don’t have parts to sell and they admit the sites don’t have my part in stock.

Maybe other companies are the same, but the LG and 2 Samsungs I have are much older (one Samsung is fluorescent back lit) and are working just fine.

The best thing is Black Friday is just a week away, so I should be able to get a deal on a Samsung or Sony.

Don’t buy a Vizio. 2 years ago I bought a P65-E1 because it was a well reviewed 4k HDR TV. A month ago, it stopped powering on. It’s out of warranty by a few months (Amex double warranty). Vizio doesn’t have a repair service for out of warranty. They don’t sell parts directly, instead sending you to 3 web sites.

I took my TV to a repair shop locally who diagnosed a bad main board. But, they can’t get a replacement part from any of the Vizio approved sites. They’ve been trying for nearly a month. Vizio has just thrown their hands up. They don’t have parts to sell and they admit the sites don’t have my part in stock.

Maybe other companies are the same, but the LG and 2 Samsungs I have are much older (one Samsung is fluorescent back lit) and are working just fine.

The best thing is Black Friday is just a week away, so I should be able to get a deal on a Samsung or Sony.

So...TCL?

About 10 years ago, I was looking to buy I new TV. I really liked the Vizio and it was a great price. But a friend who does home A/V setups for wealthy people said to get an RCA that was a bit more expensive but a much better made and longer lasting TV. He said that Vizio is basically a crap TV. Good picture but they aren't well made, they don't last long, and the can't be repaired if they break. I bought the RCA and have been completely happy with it. Added Roku a few months ago.

I have an old Vizio 42" I got when I graduated in 07 that still works fine but is massive. replaced it with a 49" Samsung my uncle gave to me when he moved. dunno what to do with the TV, I guess I should give it away on Facebook or something.

Vizios allow you to both Cast and Airplay to the TV, which is a nice feature to have.

About 10 years ago, I was looking to buy I new TV. I really liked the Vizio and it was a great price. But a friend who does home A/V setups for wealthy people said to get an RCA that was a bit more expensive but a much better made and longer lasting TV. He said that Vizio is basically a crap TV. Good picture but they aren't well made, they don't last long, and the can't be repaired if they break. I bought the RCA and have been completely happy with it. Added Roku a few months ago.

Almost 2 month in and my TLC is holding up fine. I would have never thought of an RCA. I would have thought they went by the wayside with Zenith and Curtis Mathis. I guess with so many foreign products out there I don't even think about the old traditional brands as my first thought.

Almost 2 month in and my TLC is holding up fine. I would have never thought of an RCA. I would have thought they went by the wayside with Zenith and Curtis Mathis. I guess with so many foreign products out there I don't even think about the old traditional brands as my first thought.

I wouldn't have either. But almost 10 years later, I have no complaints. Great picture and sound.

My mom bought a TCL a couple of months ago. She is very happy with it.

Any links to good deals on a TCL coming up this week or next?

Looking for around a 65", but not sure whether to go older generation to reduce cost or reduce the size and get a current gen version.

Back