• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vizio vs TCL

GoDeacsGo

Reaction score
I've got a 65" LG Plasma TV that really heats up our finished basement. Works great and still has a great picture but just too warm once its been on for a while. Looking to replace with either of these:
Costco....Vizio V655-H19 65" for $460 which includes a 3 year mfg warrantee.
Walmart..TCL 65". $428 + $54 for 3 year warrantee.
Pretty much identical extras (Smart TV, 3 HDMI inputs, LED, 4k....) but the TCL comes with a pretty user friendly Roku remote although we'd mostly use the Spectrum Universal or Fire Stick remotes.
Both are free delivery.
Pretty much used for TV, DVR and movie streaming.........not gaming.
Any comments? I'd like to stay under $500 'cuz I'm a cheap bastard.

If I remember correctly last year the TCL Roku TV was a Cnet editor's choice last year. I want to say the R series but can't remember exactly

The Roku TCLs are fantastic. Amazing value. You may be able to get two 55” for around $500 by the holidays.

The Roku TCLs are fantastic. Amazing value. You may be able to get two 55” for around $500 by the holidays.

Good idea but don't think I can last that long. Been working from home since Feb and will continue to do so until the end of the year. The plasma is fine when the AC is on but this time of the year it just gets to damn hot down here. Haven't really heard anything negative on the TCL's since they came out a couple of years ago. TCL is how I'm leaning.

I’m looking to add two TCLs before the PS5 comes out and the latest price I saw was $279 at Target.

I’ve had a TCL since late 2017. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Choosing to use the Roku interface rather than building their own was also a stroke of genius. It’s easily the best tv I’ve ever had.

I own a 55" TCL and plan to buy another one soon. Excellent TV and consistently top rated by most review sites.

The TCL has to be a 4 Series at that price. My daughter has one and it is an excellent TV. The 6 Series is considerably better, but also almost twice as expensive. Here's a site where you can compare tv's.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl

How’s the speed of the Roku interface vs. a dedicated Roku / Amazon?

How’s the speed of the Roku interface vs. a dedicated Roku / Amazon?

Do you mean the TV interface vs. streaming stick? No real difference except the TV takes a few seconds to connect to the internet when you turn it on.

Do you mean the TV interface vs. streaming stick? No real difference except the TV takes a few seconds to connect to the internet when you turn it on.

Do you have your TV on WiFi? Mine has ethernet and it just starts up instantly.

I have mine on WiFi. It’s a patio TV.

There’s no point in getting an “outdoor TV” when these are so good and cheap.

chiming in to give another positive review for the Roku TCL

got it from Costco

like the Roku TV better than hooking Roku up to a different TV as I can do everything with the one remote

Can't believe we've gone this far without someone linking The Wirecutter

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/guides/buying-a-tv/

Here’s a CNET piece: Best 4K TV for 2020: LG, Vizio and TCL compared

We have a 65 inch Vizio in our semi-finished basement that’s been a great budget TV. Never had a TCL.

WRT the wirecutter piece, we’ve had two Sony LEDs—the second was a replacement of the first when it failed under non-extended warranty. Sonys are nice and the picture is great but the second one failed too soon as well—did turn out to be a power supply failure so easily fixable. But I’m kind of down on Sony reliability.

We now have an LG OLED...so far really happy with it. Fantastic picture.

TCL Roku tv here too & I love it. I also have a Vizio SmartTV from 2017 in a bedroom. I am unsure if it is just old or if it is how Vizio's are, but they are extremely lacking in the apps that they have available. Basically need to add a Roku stick or chromecast or something to get anything not Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. No ESPN or Disney+.

Back