• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Amy Coney Barrett

That People of Praise group that Barrett and her husband belong sounds weird as fuck. It's not the inspiration for Handmaid's Tale like originally reported, but still sounds damn extreme. Men are head of households and have authority over wives, personal advisors that tell you who to marry , where to live, what job to take (former called, wait for it....handmaids if they were women). Barrett seems like one of those highly successful , independent women who support the idea that other women need to submit to their husbands.

If anybody's actually read the novel they'll remember that an important woman character is partly responsible for the violent "return to traditional values" and stripping of rights for women but is in older age (perhaps) super resentful that she gave up her own successful career to do it

Yeah, it's definitely odd that she's part of a group that believes that women should submit to the rule and authority of their husbands, and that women generally should submit to the rule of men, yet she clearly doesn't seem to subscribe to that belief herself. Do as I say, not as I do type of thing. I'm wondering how much of that "do as I say, not as I do" attitude spills over into her judicial decisions.

How is that clear?

Back on topic, what are the general feelings on here as to what the qualifications should be?

Top of class at Ivy League school only? Notre Dame is a good law school, but not in same class as Harvard/Yale/Stanford. Although, according to colleagues, she is brilliant.

Is judicial experience a must? For me, I like to see a decent track record of decisions at the Federal Circuit level. 5-10 years is preferred.

At the end of the day, I want to see someone with impeccable academic credentials, has experience litigating as an attorney and did not just do clerkships and academia, and then a number of years on the Federal bench. In addition, judicial temperament is important to me, and that is something I would look to, as well. If the nominee hits those marks, regardless of their ideology, I would always vote to confirm.

How is that clear?

What I meant was that despite being a woman involved with this patriarchal group she's a judge with her own career, which sort of implies that she doesn't depend upon her husband's will and support. As other posters have noted, it would seem that the beliefs of her group are for other women to follow, not herself. Unless she's allowing her husband to tell her what to do, which I doubt.

Back on topic, what are the general feelings on here as to what the qualifications should be?

Top of class at Ivy League school only? Notre Dame is a good law school, but not in same class as Harvard/Yale/Stanford. Although, according to colleagues, she is brilliant.

Is judicial experience a must? For me, I like to see a decent track record of decisions at the Federal Circuit level. 5-10 years is preferred.

At the end of the day, I want to see someone with impeccable academic credentials, has experience litigating as an attorney and did not just do clerkships and academia, and then a number of years on the Federal bench. In addition, judicial temperament is important to me, and that is something I would look to, as well. If the nominee hits those marks, regardless of their ideology, I would always vote to confirm.

Their ideology is the only thing that matters. The rest of it is just window dressing.

What I meant was that despite being a woman involved with this patriarchal group she's a judge with her own career, which sort of implies that she doesn't depend upon her husband's will and support. As other posters have noted, it would seem that the beliefs of her group are for other women to follow, not herself. Unless she's allowing her husband to tell her what to do, which I doubt.

Her move to the Supreme Court also has people raising questions about its impact on his career. Both Roberts and RBG had spouses who were attorneys who stopped practicing. (Marty Ginsburg has started the shift to academia.)

He’s going to have to leave his practice in Indiana.

From the evangelical wing of the Catholic Church? No, thanks.

Unfit to carry RBG's briefcase.

Her move to the Supreme Court also has people raising questions about its impact on his career. Both Roberts and RBG had spouses who were attorneys who stopped practicing. (Marty Ginsburg has started the shift to academia.)

He’s going to have to leave his practice in Indiana.
I mean, this doesn't seem unusual. It's objectively the more prestigious job. Let him take care of the kids.

What kind of questions does it raise? And what "people" do you mean?

I was pointing it out as support for Highland’s point that she clearly isn’t wholly subservient to her husband.

I never said it was unusual either. I pointed out a couple of examples where it happened before. The “questions” are more along the lines of what’s next for him.

Apparently, Sandra Day O’Connor’s husband had difficulty finding a spot in DC based, in part, on potential conflicts.

I mean, this doesn't seem unusual. It's objectively the more prestigious job. Let him take care of the kids.

What kind of questions does it raise? And what "people" do you mean?

Except that she belongs to an Evangelical Catholic group that believes that it is the wife's job to stay home and take care of the kids while the hubby goes out into the world and has a career and does the work. And that the wife should submit to her husband's rule and authority. It's a little odd to belong to such a group and then not really abide by what they're preaching.

Except that she belongs to an Evangelical Catholic group that believes that it is the wife's job to stay home and take care of the kids while the hubby goes out into the world and has a career and does the work. And that the wife should submit to her husband's rule and authority. It's a little odd to belong to such a group and then not really abide by what they're preaching.

Look at Jim Baker, Jerry Falwell Jr and other religious zealots. It’s always, “the rules apply to thee, but not to me.”

Sure. But I was thinking more about DeacCav's mentioning of Roberts' and RBG's s.o.s and that people were interested in the effect of promotion to SCOTUS for working partners

In this era of no accountability or oversight, would we be shocked if her husband didn’t resign?

In this era of no accountability or oversight, would we be shocked if her husband didn’t resign?

I think the bigger issue is that his practice is located in Indiana, and I imagine that they’ll be moving to DC.

I don’t think he has an obligation to resign. The obligation would be on her to recuse herself.

I don’t remember having this discussion about Kavanaugh or Gorsuch’s spouses.

A friend of mine from my law school class is the dean of the Notre Dame law school. He thinks very highly of her. Went to DC for the announcement of her nomination. All I can add is anyone who graduates first in their class from the Notre Dame law school has more than enough intellect.

Kooky religious freak. Hard to comprehend super smart people behaving so stupidly about religion

Back