• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Amy Coney Barrett

A friend of mine from my law school class is the dean of the Notre Dame law school. He thinks very highly of her. Went to DC for the announcement of her nomination. All I can add is anyone who graduates first in their class from the Notre Dame law school has more than enough intellect.

Scalia (for whom she clerked and admired) was also lauded for his brilliant intellect while on the Court. And if he had his way gays still wouldn't be allowed to marry in most states, Roe would have been overturned, and other culturally conservative and Religious Right values would have been imposed on us all. I don't think anyone is going to challenge her on her credentials, but her decisions, writings, speeches, beliefs and ideology is entirely another matter.

Last edited:
A friend of mine from my law school class is the dean of the Notre Dame law school. He thinks very highly of her. Went to DC for the announcement of her nomination. All I can add is anyone who graduates first in their class from the Notre Dame law school has more than enough intellect.

Great. So she'll have some great arguments for why millions should be stripped of their health insurance.

Jesus loves when the best minds in his flock work hard to make the life of poors harder so as to teach them the lesson of hard work and whatnot

Figures lawyers would think lawyering is the only job that matters.

Figures lawyers would think lawyering is the only job that matters.

When your wife becomes one of the nine most powerful people with control over all of the academia in the United States I’m sure we will address its impact on you.

This is quite the circle jerk thread, which is quite the lawyer thing to do so congratulations you all qualify for the Supreme Court.

That People of Praise group that Barrett and her husband belong sounds weird as fuck. It's not the inspiration for Handmaid's Tale like originally reported, but still sounds damn extreme. Men are head of households and have authority over wives, personal advisors that tell you who to marry , where to live, what job to take (former called, wait for it....handmaids if they were women). Barrett seems like one of those highly successful , independent women who support the idea that other women need to submit to their husbands.
Yea totally submissive women that worked her way to a SCOTUS nomination.
Checks out

Yea totally submissive women that worked her way to a SCOTUS nomination.
Checks out

Or just parroted every item on the Federalist Society's hit list, while pretending to have a Ouija board that allowed her to see what the real intent was of the writers of the Constitution, because she truly understands what they really meant. Her Seventh Circuit position was pushed by Mitch after he blocked the Obama candidate, and now she is getting pushed on the SC, because the Federalist Society knows she will rule exactly as they want and it will push the anti-abortion crowd to vote for Trump. So lets not pretend she is getting this job because of her brilliance.

Or just parroted every item on the Federalist Society's hit list, while pretending to have a Ouija board that allowed her to see what the real intent was of the writers of the Constitution, because she truly understands what they really meant. Her Seventh Circuit position was pushed by Mitch after he blocked the Obama candidate, and now she is getting pushed on the SC, because the Federalist Society knows she will rule exactly as they want and it will push the anti-abortion crowd to vote for Trump. So lets not pretend she is getting this job because of her brilliance.

Op Ed from somebody that clerked for Souter while she was clerking first Scalia.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-supreme-court

also number one in her law school class, obviously not smart,

lubes only consider other lubes "smart", everyone else is dumb

I don't give a shit what this lady's qualifications are.

Guys, people can be super smart and also be crazy/evil. That seems to be what we are dealing with here. She's obviously qualified from an academic standpoint -- she's not qualified from a mental standpoint given her membership in a weird religious cult, but most of Christianity is a weird religious cult anyway, so no one will care.

Marty Ginsburg moved to Washington when his wife got a good job there. (From his bio at the beginning of his M&A treatise.) His bio legit cracks me up. You know, I'm just going to post the whole thing here to prove that it's possible for tax people to have a sense of humor:

Martin D. Ginsburg was Professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C. His professional corporation was of counsel to the firm of Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP.

Professor Ginsburg attended Cornell University, stood very low in his class, and played on the golf team. He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School which, in those years, did not field a golf team.

Professor Ginsburg entered private practice in New York City in 1958. Although beloved by partners, clients, and opposing counsel, including Mr. Levin, he withdrew from full-time practice when appointed the Beekman Professor of Law at Columbia Law School. He moved to Georgetown University in 1980 when his wife obtained a good job in Washington.

In the interim, Professor Ginsburg served as Chairman of the Tax Section of the New York State Bar Association, Chairman of the Committee on Taxation of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Chairman of the Committee on Simplification of the Section of Taxation of the American Bar Association, Member of the Advisory Group to the Commissioner of Internal Revenue, and Member of the Advisory Group to the Tax Division of the Department of Justice. In 1974 Professor Ginsburg became Consultant to the American Law Institute's Federal Income Tax Project on the revision of the corporate and partnership tax laws. From 1984 to 1987 he was a member of the ABA Tax Section Council where he performed no useful service at all; celebrating that unique achievement, in 2006 the Tax Section gave Professor Ginsburg its lifetime Distinguished Service Award.

In addition to Columbia and Georgetown, he taught at New York University School of Law (Adjunct Professor 1967–79 and Visiting Professor 1993), Stanford Law School (Visiting Professor 1978), the University of Leiden in Holland (1982), the Salzburg Seminar in Austria (1984), Harvard Law School (Visiting Professor 1986), and the University of Chicago Law School (Visiting Professor 1990).

In 1986, someone who probably prefers never to be identified endowed a Chair in Taxation in his name at Georgetown. In 1993 the National Women's Political Caucus gave Professor Ginsburg its “Good Guy” award; history reveals no prior instance of a tax lawyer held to be a “Good Guy,” or even a “Decent Sort.”

In 2010, the publication Best Lawyers named (1) Professor Ginsburg the best tax lawyer in Washington, D.C. and (2) Mr. Levin the best tax lawyer in Chicago. Marty and Jack each responded that the publication had gotten it at least half right.

Professor Ginsburg was a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel, a frequent speaker at tax seminars, mainly in warm climates, and the author of a ghastly number of articles on corporate and partnership taxation, business acquisitions, and other stimulating things. Professor Ginsburg's spouse was a lawyer before she found better work. Their older child was a lawyer before she became a schoolteacher. The younger child, when he feels grumpy, threatens to become a lawyer.

Professor Ginsburg, the finest tax lawyer and human being of all time, passed away on 6/27/10.

Back