• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Amy Coney Barrett

I want a better world for my kids and grandkids and if that means sweeping changes to social security Mx Medicare, then so be it. You are such a self important, presumptive, fucking asswipe.

unregulated and unrestrained capitalism is a much, much bigger threat to your kids and grandkids than social security and Medicare. So you want some "sweeping changes" to SS and Medicare, but you also want to vote for the Party who want your kids drowning in student loan debt, making minimum wage forever, with unabated sea level rise and increasing frequency of natural disasters threatening their existence.

Cool cool cool.

unregulated and unrestrained capitalism is a much, much bigger threat to your kids and grandkids than social security and Medicare. So you want some "sweeping changes" to SS and Medicare, but you also want to vote for the Party who want your kids drowning in student loan debt, making minimum wage forever, with unabated sea level rise and increasing frequency of natural disasters threatening their existence.

Cool cool cool.

So making "sweeping changes" to Social Security and Medicare (i.e. cutting, gutting, or privatizing) is going to make the world better for kids and grandkids (what about when they get old enough to receive these benefits and they aren't there anymore?), but not dealing with the issues you mentioned is irrelevant? Well, I guess the GOP has got to compensate for those tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations somehow, so we'll just take it from the olds. Cutting that social safety net is such fun!

Yep

If you hope to vote for a better future, definitely don’t vote for Republicans.

Is there a first world country that doesn't provide income and healthcare support for its elderly population. The US has the bare minimum.

Yes, my daughter’s eighteen and she’s been advising me for years.

That’s great. We don’t talk enough about how parents vote on behalf of their kids.

Cool cool cool.

Abed?

sweeping changes to something my 4 yr and 9 mo old won't peak at for 60 years !

do you fucking conservative nuts realize how much stuff changed in the last 60years?

People of Praise, the charismatic Catholic group that Barrett and her husband belong to, has been scrubbing their records of any references to Barrett or her husband. She's declined to say anything about her membership, and People of Praise has declined to say whether she and her husband are members, but this AP article found that Barrett had sat on the Board of Trustees of a People of Praise sponsored school (only members can serve as trustees.) The AP article gives an extended discussion of life in the group and praise from current members and criticisms from former members who quit. Some samples are below:

"...at People of Praise the leadership structure is largely segregated by gender. And as they become adults, members frequently live together in same-gender communal houses sometimes owned by the group, or they are invited to live with a family within the community. Articles in the People of Praise magazine frequently note when young single members get married to each other. Multiple birth announcements often follow...The group’s magazine also offers insights into the group’s views on marriage, community and members’ finances. A 2007 issue discusses how the 17 single women who live together in a household, called the Sisterhood, had their paychecks direct deposited into a single bank account. One member said she had “no idea” what the amount of her paycheck was. The pooled money was managed by one woman, who budgeted for everyone’s clothing and other expenses, including $36 weekly per person for food and basics like toilet paper."

"As part of spiritual meetings, members often relay divine prophecies and are encouraged to pray in tongues, where participants make vocal utterances thought to carry direct teachings and instructions from God. Those utterances are then “interpreted” by senior male leaders and relayed back to the wider group...A 1969 book by Kevin Ranaghan, a co-founder of People of Praise, dedicates a chapter to praying in tongues, which he describes as a gift from God."

"While People of Praise portrays itself as a tightknit family of families, former members paint a darker picture of that closeness. Theill, who converted to Catholicism after getting married, said in her People of Praise community women were expected to live in “total submission” not only to their husbands, but also the other male “heads” within the group.

In a book she wrote about her experience, Theill recounts that in People of Praise every consequential personal decision — whether to take a new job, buy a particular model car or choose where to live — went through the hierarchy of male leadership. Members of the group who worked outside the community had to turn over their paystubs to church leaders to confirm they were tithing correctly, she said.

Theill says her “handmaid,” to whom she was supposed to confide her innermost thoughts and emotions, then repeated what she said to the male heads, who would consult her husband on the proper correction.

“There’d be open meetings where you just have to stand for the group and they’d tell you all that was wrong with you,” Theill recounted to the AP last week. “And I would ask questions. I was a critical thinker...When she told her husband she wanted to wait to have more children, Theill said, he accompanied her to gynecological appointments to ensure she couldn’t get birth control."

“I was basically treated like a brood mare,” she said, using the term for a female horse used for breeding. During her 20-year marriage, Theill had eight children from 11 pregnancies.

“A married woman is expected always to reflect the fact that she is under her husband’s authority,” Reimers wrote. “This goes beyond an acknowledgment that the husband is ‘head of the home’ or head of the family; he is, in fact, her personal pastoral head. Whatever she does requires at least his tacit approval. He is responsible for her formation and growth in the Christian life...Though women are allowed to serve in some administrative roles within the community, Reimers wrote that no woman is allowed to hold a pastoral position of leadership in which she would oversee or instruct men."

"Lisa Williams said her parents joined the Minnesota branch of People of Praise in the late 1970s, when she was a fourth-grader...I remember my mother saying a wife could never deny sex to her husband, because it was his right and her duty,” said Williams, 56. “Sex is not for pleasure. It’s for as many babies as God chooses to give you...Women had to be obedient. They had to be subservient.”

An interesting article about our next Supreme Court justice, for sure: https://apnews.com/article/new-orleans-donald-trump-amy-coney-barrett-us-supreme-court-courts-1be61f7c3427e41326038e5cdab54839

Here's the article about People of Praise scrubbing all mention of Barrett from their public records: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/30/people-of-praise-amy-coney-barrett-website

Remember when a video surfaced showing Obama’s pastor saying the United States has done a lot of bad things and Obama took so much heat about it that he made a speech?

Yeah. That actually happened. Because the pastor spoke truth about our history.

Remember when a video surfaced showing Obama’s pastor saying the United States has done a lot of bad things and Obama took so much heat about it that he made a speech?

Yeah. That actually happened. Because the pastor spoke truth about our history.

Muslim Obama’s Christian Pastor*

So I got to believe that Trump's been in contact with Republican Senators over the last couple of days. Better shut down the whole US Senate for a few weeks

Well that definitely sounds like a cult. Barrett should definitely be asked about it. If she refuses to denounce those practices then bring in women who have left the cult and have them testify. I don’t want a fucking doomsday misogynistic cult follower on the Supreme Court.

Well that definitely sounds like a cult. Barrett should definitely be asked about it. If she refuses to denounce those practices then bring in women who have left the cult and have them testify. I don’t want a fucking doomsday misogynistic cult follower on the Supreme Court.

Or just bring in her husband for the seat since he'll be making all the decisions anyway.

elections have consequences, brasky

Or just bring in her husband for the seat since he'll be making all the decisions anyway.

That question needs to be asked but it would be horrible to ask it in a hearing.

There's an angle there to exploit. Is she going to evaluate the Pope's and the "PoP"s position on all matters? If so, isn't that forcing Roman Catholic beliefs on our country? If not, why not? How do you decide which of God's laws you choose to judicially enforce?

If you're going to obey your husband, shouldn't we have him answer questions? Or does your faith stop mattering once you get to the office? If that's the case, then why should your faith have a role in your decisions?

She testified in her 7th Circuit Confirmation that judges should not impose their own religious beliefs on the laws and that she could remain impartial.

I think that’s probably not true, but the question was asked.

Back