• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Campbell at Wake Forest (-33.5) 7 pm Tonight (10/2) - ACCN

I noticed all that too. And the announcers talked about Boogie wanting to come back - when he could have been a first round draft pick - because he wanted to finish with the guys he came in with. Said they would be his friends for life. He’s having a great time and wants it to last a little longer.
Haha, love how dumbfounded the announcers were. But....money! They loved it

Do coaches have such pregame “mindsetting” discussions with refs? That would help explain some of the weird officiating historically vs. certain opponents.

Yes if there's a trick play set up or a weird formation, somebody will check in with the refs on it before the game to let them know so they don't whistle the play dead.

Haha, love how dumbfounded the announcers were. But....money! They loved it

Speaking of dumbfounded announcers, I think EMac only referred to Hartman as Howell twice in the broadcast. Conor's replacement John Dell of the WS Journal also referred to Sam as Howell in his article. They are both white QBs named Sam but it's not that hard.

Speaking of dumbfounded announcers, I think EMac only referred to Hartman as Howell twice in the broadcast. Conor's replacement John Dell of the WS Journal also referred to Sam as Howell in his article. They are both white QBs named Sam but it's not that hard.

All white people look alike. Moreso than other races I think. But still, they should've done 2 minutes of research to understand there are 2 QB's named Sam in the ACC.

All white people look alike. Moreso than other races I think. But still, they should've done 2 minutes of research to understand there are 2 QB's named Sam in the ACC.

Especially for the ACC's own announcers. One Sam gets the slurpy tarhole marketing push and then our Sam has his beat guy getting fired. Howell is so overrated.

Our Sam frankly has a much better arm than Howell. Our Sam has great movie star hair, and Howell has a very hairy back and ass from the look of him. No comparison in any way.

Our Sam frankly has a much better arm than Howell. Our Sam has great movie star hair, and Howell has a very hairy back and ass from the look of him. No comparison in any way.

I'll just take the better arm and leave the other body observations to you.

Still gave up damn near 400 yards of Offense to Campbell. Lots of work to do in preparation for Virginia's Steve Young.

The complete absence of defense is what led to my "douchey take" last week that Campbell would be our only win. Seriously, we gave up 400+ yards of total offense to Campbell? Our remaining conference opponents must be giddy about playing us.

The complete absence of defense is what led to my "douchey take" last week that Campbell would be our only win. Seriously, we gave up 400+ yards of total offense to Campbell? Our remaining conference opponents must be giddy about playing us.

Maybe, this is Clawson's worst WF team at WF and they finish 1-10. Don't think so, but we will see.

No doubt that the WF defense has sucked and is a big-time concern. OTOH, so far, WF lost to the #1 team in the country, at State by 3 and annihilated Campbell (who did score in the 20s against the other 3 FBS teams they faced). Again, no one is predicting an epic season for WF football, but the take that WF is going to go 0-10 against ACC opponents, seems a bit dire, and douchey.

Defense has not been a strength as expected. We actually gave up 362 yds. Campbell had 12 possessions because of our offensive efficiencies so some yardage was inevitable. So roughly 30 yds/pp. 66 yds on first possession with missed fg. 75 yds on their first half TD. That leaves 221 yds for the other 10 possessions. Not the shit show some seem to reflect.

How many returning starters on D? 8?

Looks like 7. The four up front and the three linebackers. Assuming Treveon Redd moving from "Rover" to OLB counts as the same. All four guys who started against Campbell in the back are different from the four who started the Syracuse game at the end of last season.

On offense, only two guys who started against Syracuse started against Campbell. And, both of them have new positions. Loic Ngassam Nya, LG to RG. Zach Tom, C to LT. In essence, Wake has 11 new starters on offense from final game of regular season in 2019 to Campbell.

Looks like 7. The four up front and the three linebackers. Assuming Treveon Redd moving from "Rover" to OLB counts as the same. All four guys who started against Campbell in the back are different from the four who started the Syracuse game at the end of last season.

On offense, only two guys who started against Syracuse started against Campbell. And, both of them have new positions. Loic Ngassam Nya, LG to RG. Zach Tom, C to LT. In essence, Wake has 11 new starters on offense from final game of regular season in 2019 to Campbell.

Technically accurate that the Cuse 2019 game and the Campbell 2020 had offensive starters at different spots, but that stat is not representative of the offense as the games were played to end last season.

Donovan Greene did not "start" against Cuse, Waydale Jones did, but Greene received the vast majority of the snaps in that game, and caught 7 passes for 172 yards and a TD. Greene also did start the last game of the season -- the Pinstripe Bowl versus Mich State. Same with Sean Maginn who didn't start the Cuse game, but played in that game, and started 11 other games, including the final game of the 2019 season against Michigan State. 3 of the offensive line starters in the 2019 Bowl Game (Tom, Nya and Maginn) are starting this season. Also, every offensive starter for the Campbell game played against Michigan State in the Pinstripe Bowl except for Christian Beal-Smith who was hurt, but he did play in 9 games last year, and OT Je'vionte Nash. Since WF played a lot of a different players on offense, particularly at the end of last season; the offense is not as "inexperienced" as it seems by just looking at the "starts" from 2019.

Don’t think Beal Smith was hurt for the bowl against Michigan State. Pretty sure he was suspended at some point last year for breaking team rules.

Technically accurate that the Cuse 2019 game and the Campbell 2020 had offensive starters at different spots, but that stat is not representative of the offense as the games were played to end last season.

Donovan Greene did not "start" against Cuse, Waydale Jones did, but Greene received the vast majority of the snaps in that game, and caught 7 passes for 172 yards and a TD. Greene also did start the last game of the season -- the Pinstripe Bowl versus Mich State. Same with Sean Maginn who didn't start the Cuse game, but played in that game, and started 11 other games, including the final game of the 2019 season against Michigan State. 3 of the offensive line starters in the 2019 Bowl Game (Tom, Nya and Maginn) are starting this season. Also, every offensive starter for the Campbell game played against Michigan State in the Pinstripe Bowl except for Christian Beal-Smith who was hurt, but he did play in 9 games last year, and OT Je'vionte Nash. Since WF played a lot of a different players on offense, particularly at the end of last season; the offense is not as "inexperienced" as it seems by just looking at the "starts" from 2019.

Replacing Gilliam and Freudenthal were pretty "easy" I would say. Gilliam was fantastic but they brought in Davis(who is unfortunately out this year), but had the luxury of Loic being a good Run blocker off the jump, so they could just split him and Maginn and not be overly concerned.

However players replacing,
Scotty: AT Perry 78 snaps(42 of them came against Clemson and MSU)
Sage: Greene 214 snaps(but we can see he's been slightly inconsistent because he's a RS-FR)
Kendall: Roberson 182 snaps(but only 31 total from Clemson on) Morin 2 snaps
Zach Tom moving to LT: Jurgens 45 snaps
Benzinger: Nash 38 snaps
Claude(who played a TON): Nolan Groulx 6 snaps, Donald Stewart 20 snaps

Starts dont tell all of the story but when someone like Steven Claude who, love him to death, had 2.5x the snaps as Greene and it felt like Claude never saw the field. There is and was a lot of inexperience on the offense, and while there's been a lot of positives, you can still see the inconsistencies from the outside receivers and at the OL meshing. But all in due time

Replacing Gilliam and Freudenthal were pretty "easy" I would say. Gilliam was fantastic but they brought in Davis(who is unfortunately out this year), but had the luxury of Loic being a good Run blocker off the jump, so they could just split him and Maginn and not be overly concerned.

However players replacing,
Scotty: AT Perry 78 snaps(42 of them came against Clemson and MSU)
Sage: Greene 214 snaps(but we can see he's been slightly inconsistent because he's a RS-FR)
Kendall: Roberson 182 snaps(but only 31 total from Clemson on) Morin 2 snaps
Zach Tom moving to LT: Jurgens 45 snaps
Benzinger: Nash 38 snaps
Claude(who played a TON): Nolan Groulx 6 snaps, Donald Stewart 20 snaps

Starts dont tell all of the story but when someone like Steven Claude who, love him to death, had 2.5x the snaps as Greene and it felt like Claude never saw the field. There is and was a lot of inexperience on the offense, and while there's been a lot of positives, you can still see the inconsistencies from the outside receivers and at the OL meshing. But all in due time

Defense certainly has to stand up but I fully expect the O to keep improving.

I mean yeah literally we gave up almost 400 yards to Campbell and I think the defense is bad, but that's a bit overstating the case on the former. We had allowed under 200 yards when the game entered garbage time (Wake up 45-7 in the third quarter). The two long drives in the first half aren't great though (responsible for like 130 of the 180 yards Campbell had before garbage time).

Back