• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No Solicitation Signage

ChrisTheDeacm89

Reaction score
Quick question for some of the legal Deacs here. What are the legal backings of "No Solicitation" signage? Here's my issue:

I live in a neighborhood with "No Solicitation" signage posted at both entrances (not a gated community). I also have "No Solicitation" signage posted in my front yard. Like many of you, I've had to make a lot of adjustments to the work at home lifestyle. I've basically turned my library into a makeshift office, where I take a lot of conference calls and video conferences. Even though the signage is posted, as I mentioned before, it seems that this has not stopped incessant door to door salesmen from continuously ringing my doorbell multiple times in the middle of the workday throughout the week. I pointed to my "No Solicitation" signage to one of them yesterday, and the smartass replied with a "I have a Constitutional right to free speech and do this if I want." I told him, he was trespassing and to scram before I called the cops.

This brings me to my question. Since there is signage posted on my property and by my HOA, does this put them in any type of legal violation? I don't plan on calling anyone, but I was curious as to what sort of legal backing the posted signage has in this matter.

Remember stand your ground. 2nd amend carries as much weight as 1st. But you'd likely miss some calls with all the cops and stuff.

Just buy the steaks. They aren't bad for the money.

I hope you actually used the word "scram".

not sure but you're free to stop answering your door.

this. There is no world you're living in that people are continously knocking on your door. You're just being a grouchy old man. Glad you have a room in your house dedicated as a library. These handful of people knocking on your door are working way harder for a pittance compared to you.

Quick question for some of the legal Deacs here. What are the legal backings of "No Solicitation" signage? Here's my issue:

I live in a neighborhood with "No Solicitation" signage posted at both entrances (not a gated community). I also have "No Solicitation" signage posted in my front yard. Like many of you, I've had to make a lot of adjustments to the work at home lifestyle. I've basically turned my library into a makeshift office, where I take a lot of conference calls and video conferences. Even though the signage is posted, as I mentioned before, it seems that this has not stopped incessant door to door salesmen from continuously ringing my doorbell multiple times in the middle of the workday throughout the week. I pointed to my "No Solicitation" signage to one of them yesterday, and the smartass replied with a "I have a Constitutional right to free speech and do this if I want." I told him, he was trespassing and to scram before I called the cops.

This brings me to my question. Since there is signage posted on my property and by my HOA, does this put them in any type of legal violation? I don't plan on calling anyone, but I was curious as to what sort of legal backing the posted signage has in this matter.

Fucking white people are the worst sometimes.

this. There is no world you're living in that people are continously knocking on your door. You're just being a grouchy old man. Glad you have a room in your house dedicated as a library. These handful of people knocking on your door are working way harder for a pittance compared to you.

I've had someone come here every single day for the past three weeks. The one I'm referencing from yesterday rang the doorbell three separate times while I was in the middle of a conference call, so excuse me if I come off a little annoyed.

Get rid of traditional doorbell, don't answer the door. You didn't need to crowd source the boards for simple solutions. Technically some cities and counties will have solicitation ordinances that require registering a work permit with the city and other rules but who is going to enforce it. Also if it is a big company like ATT, Comcast, etc... they probably do have the proper permit to go door to door anyways.

I sold office supplies and had to go business to business. It was the absolute worst job I have ever had. People suck.

I'm in B2B sales and get to avoid knocking on residential neighborhoods, but of course I encounter no solicitation signs everywhere I go. I spend 4 days a week on the road dropping in businesses across the southeast and with COVID restrictions, standard no solicitation signs, etc., it's been a pain in the ass. However, I take the signage as a suggestion and rarely will a gatekeeper give me any hell...Maybe 1 out of 20 businesses will ask me if I saw the sign and I'll just say "whoops, I sure didn't" and I'll leave. Most folks sympathize with a traveling salesman and will at least give me the info I need for follow-ups, etc.

I say all of that to say that the dude who dropped the "it's my constitutional right" is a total toolbag and shouldn't be in Sales.

well clearly the HOA has no authority, if they can't even enforce a simple no solicitation policy

Put up a "Beware of Unleashed Doberman" sign

Back