• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

we have a factory in rural Illinois and their county dept of health is going to let the factory workers get vaccinated in the next couple of weeks, and so far we've had only about 30 out of 100 workers sign up to do so.

we have a factory in rural Illinois and their county dept of health is going to let the factory workers get vaccinated in the next couple of weeks, and so far we've had only about 30 out of 100 workers sign up to do so.

Mandate that shit. Legal to do it as long as you are providing required religious/disability accommodations.

state of Illinois just announced that the vaccine will be available to everyone beginning May 31

seems kinda late

but good to start having a picture of timing for me

Gottlieb had a pretty interesting theory that getting 100-120 million people to get vaccinated will be fairly easy, as that was the number of people who got flu shots for this flu season. After that, you'll have to do some convincing.

The messaging will have to change. We are doing a piss-poor job of broadcasting the best part about the vaccine: If you get the shots and wait for the immunity kick-in time, you're not going to get seriously ill from COVID. Instead, we're hearing stuff about "you may still have to wear a mask and social distance." I'm fine with doing those measures once you essentially prevent covid from fucking you up.

lead story from yesterday's NYT daily email was exactly that

compared it to the confusion around the messaging related to the benefit of masks early on

lead story from yesterday's NYT daily email was exactly that

compared it to the confusion around the messaging related to the benefit of masks early on

We can blame messaging but the big problem is people who are so poisoned by right wing disinformation and anti-vax. I also think there’s a problem with people’s risk assessment. Too many people still thin COVID is no big deal.

From this CNN article, the Biden admin goal is:

Biden has made clear that slowing down the spread of Covid-19 and getting 100 million vaccine shots into Americans' arms in his first 100 days in office are of utmost priority -- goals that will shape whether Biden's first years in office are ultimately deemed successful.

I am...uninspired by this goal. 100 million shots in 100 days is obviously 1 million shots per day. Over the past 7 days, we're averaging 832,000 doses administered per day. The old administration was clearly on track to reach 1 million per day pretty soon.

We need faster improvement. I don't know where we are in the supply chain pipeline, other than the fact that CDC says we currently have 19 million doses delivered and ready to be administered.

We need to move faster. Much faster.

Maybe try putting shots into both of a person's arms at the same time to double the rate.

Maybe try putting shots into both of a person's arms at the same time to double the rate.

1fx.jpg

From this CNN article, the Biden admin goal is:

I am...uninspired by this goal. 100 million shots in 100 days is obviously 1 million shots per day. Over the past 7 days, we're averaging 832,000 doses administered per day. The old administration was clearly on track to reach 1 million per day pretty soon.

We need faster improvement. I don't know where we are in the supply chain pipeline, other than the fact that CDC says we currently have 19 million doses delivered and ready to be administered.

We need to move faster. Much faster.

1 million people receiving their first dose and 1 million receiving their second dose per day seems ambitious but possible

why is it still the message that it's unknown whether people with vaccines are also carriers?

didn't trials start like six months ago?

why is it still the message that it's unknown whether people with vaccines are also carriers?

didn't trials start like six months ago?

I think that's doctors being careful and erring on the side of caution until the information comes out

or the deep state wants us all to wear masks in perpetuity and knows the gig is up if they release the info that we aren't carriers ;)

Back