• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

Not really.

They are physicians.

Some I’ve worked with are some of the best.

Now, anyone desiring to be the WH physician under Trump has to have screw loose.

Hadn't seen this posted here:
[h=1]The White House relied on a rapid test, but used it in a way it was not intended.[/h]
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/...but-used-it-in-a-way-it-was-not-intended.html

For months, the White House’s strategy for keeping President Trump and his inner circle safe has been to screen all White House visitors with a rapid test.
But one product they use, Abbott’s ID Now, was never intended for that purpose and is known to deliver incorrect results. In issuing an emergency use authorization, the Food and Drug Administration said the test was only to be used by a health care provider “within the first seven days of symptoms.”
The ID Now has several qualities in its favor: It’s portable, doesn’t need skilled technicians to operate and delivers results in 15 minutes. Used to evaluate someone with symptoms, the test can quickly and easily diagnose Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.
But in people who are infected but not yet showing symptoms, the test is much less accurate, missing as many as one in three cases.

Sure, there can be good ones. But their practice was still founded on the theory that massage can cure all disease, and if I'm going to get COVID odds are it's going to be from my secretary who also thinks enough vitamin D can cure all disease and takes public transit every day. Just cause you know some good DO's it doesn't mean that anything associated with quack science should be the lead doctor taking care of the POTUS. Is it better than nothing in rural areas or in a world with more patients than real doctors? Sure.

It's interesting that Trump is not taking hydroxychloroquine. I guess he gave up on that idea but forgot to tell his supporters?

Obviously the medical community mainly moved on from hydroxychloroquine months ago (because there is no evidence that it works), but there are still studies being completed and published. Last week a study came out in Lancet Rheumatology that looked at 30,000 patients with rheumatologic disease - 10,000 on hydroxychloroquine for their rheumatologic disease and 20,000 not on hydroxychloroquine. The percent that became infected with COVID did not differ between the two groups. A randomized trial also came out in JAMA last week looking at hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic medication in healthcare workers, and no benefit was detected.

If the President Trump would just consult Dr. Knowell, he would already be healed!

Some good analysis here:

[h=1]How the White House is trying to convince America that Trump’s illness isn’t a big deal[/h]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ce-america-that-trumps-illness-isnt-big-deal/

Very few are going to think he's fine until he spends some time talking to people live, because he loves talking to people live and because it's so close to the election.

I also found it interesting today that the doc admitted there were two separate times his oxygen levels dropped, as there was also a good 8 hour break from tweeting yesterday, so if I had to guess it's happened to him two days in a row.

Very few are going to think he's fine until he spends some time talking to people live, because he loves talking to people live and because it's so close to the election.

I also found it interesting today that the doc admitted there were two separate times his oxygen levels dropped, as there was also a good 8 hour break from tweeting yesterday, so if I had to guess it's happened to him two days in a row.

I agree. That's why it's important to call out these futile attempts by the administration to make it seem like it's not a big deal.

Look, I don’t have a dog in this fight other than attempting to correct misperceptions.

It’s absolutely an error to assume that DO’s are inferior physicians or surgeons.

————

From everything I’ve seen, Trump seems like he’s probably doing reasonably well. Odds are he gets through this OK.

But that’s not a certainty, for sure.

We’ll see.

Well that's one way to change the no income tax story

Reasonable well for you meaning he’s not going to die because that’s about as far as I’d go, and even that isn’t like 100%. He’s now taken two experimental drugs and a third that would only be given if he has progressed to pneumonia.

Reasonable well for you meaning he’s not going to die because that’s about as far as I’d go, and even that isn’t like 100%. He’s now taken two experimental drugs and a third that would only be given if he has progressed to pneumonia.

I suspect his treatment isn’t exactly conforming to usual protocols.

Which could actually work against him.

What's the 2nd experimental drug? Isn't Dexa and remdesivir both the most two commonly prescribed/understood drugs?

It's really telling about how even most of the media has grown weary of this White House that on the Sunday morning talk shows they were pretty openly discussing how difficult it is to know the president's actual condition because nobody trusts anyone in this administration to tell the truth about his condition. I think Peggy Noonan on MTP said something like "well, we don't really know how the president is doing because we can't trust the information that they are sending out, and the information we are getting is contradictory."

What's the 2nd experimental drug? Isn't Dexa and remdesivir both the most two commonly prescribed/understood drugs?

I’m counting Remdesivir as experimental since it was technically never designed for Covid and still operates under a EUA. In the we will give things the antiviral and antibodies are fine throw it all the wall but I think steroids isn’t something that any one of his doctors is going to give lightly, you are now playing the immune modulatory game and it’s not something to play with unless necessary.

Back