• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

COVID Thread 2: I Like Soldiers Who Don't Get My COVID! (Super Political!!!)

My wife and I often go places and find that none of the people there are wearing masks, especially outdoor places. Public playgrounds are the worst. No one there wears a mask, the parents or the children. It’s frustrating as shit. I can’t go to a fucking gas station without seeing a half dozen rough looking white dudes ignoring the mask rule.

Last edited:
That’s the thing that gets me, MHMD. How are we supposed to have any hope when people aren’t doing the obvious things we need to do to get through this?

There’s no simple policy that’s going to change that. I don’t know how you get that portion of the population to just put on their masks. Their leaders won’t do the right thing. Celebrities won’t do the right thing. SNL cancelled the country artist they booked for this week because there was a TikTok of him partying maskless is Tuscaloosa.

https://apple.news/AbZjbh3lZT6mlqXs7qwdydg

I just don’t see an end because we can unify to do the simplest things. And even when things improve, politicians rush to get things back to normal. And guess what? Cases and deaths go back up. So many countries, “developed” and otherwise have contained this because their leaders and their people are willing to do the basic work necessary. But we are looking at kids missing a full school year.

And >50,000 BENGHAZIs

Yes, but at least the Trump administration didn't lie to the American people about the causes and the severity of the Corona Virus, like Hillary did about the BENGHAZI incident.

Yes, but at least the Trump administration didn't lie to the American people about the causes and the severity of the Corona Virus, like Hillary did about the BENGHAZI incident.

This point really stands. Strong!

Americans who are still anti-climate change and anti-mask are fucking trash people. Their ignorance and selfishness is actively harming people and their behavior will make this pandemic last longer and kill more people. And when the pandemic is finally over their actions will lead to a decrease in everyone's quality of life and for the planet to self-destruct much earlier.

There is no reason to respect these people or treat them with kid gloves any further. We should actively engage them and work to ruin their lives until they get the message and grow the fuck up. I will never respect their opinions again.

My wife and I often go places and find that none of the people there are wearing masks, especially outdoor places. Public playgrounds are the worst. No one there wears a mask, the parents or the children. It’s frustrating as shit. I can’t go to a fucking gas station without seeing a half dozen rough looking white dudes ignoring the mask rule.

Some of those folks don't even own, or haven't worn a mask. Just walk into stores or whatever, with no mask. Outdoors is free space where the virus cannot live or be transferred (duh).

I've heard (rumor, rumor no facts just rumor) some other countries, they basically have police walking the street and if you don't wear a mask, they handle it. I'm definitely not approving HOW they handle it at all, but they handle it.

saw a video from Taiwan or something where stores have scanners that literally won't open the door if you're not wearing a mask. these cletuses are all so dumb. was at a brewery here a week or so ago and a buncha rubes walked in sans masks and the manager asked if they had masks and they all made a big deal about you can't make me and there's no law (narrator: there is a law). they pointed to all the people at their tables not wearing masks saying why aren't you making them wear masks?!?! then they stormed out saying the brewery just lost a lot of good customers and they're telling all their friends.

We go for walks on trails outside and generally don’t wear our masks then but have. Then with us in the event we would be interacting with anybody for any significant amount of time.

That’s the thing that gets me, MHMD. How are we supposed to have any hope when people aren’t doing the obvious things we need to do to get through this?

There’s no simple policy that’s going to change that. I don’t know how you get that portion of the population to just put on their masks. Their leaders won’t do the right thing. Celebrities won’t do the right thing. SNL cancelled the country artist they booked for this week because there was a TikTok of him partying maskless is Tuscaloosa.

https://apple.news/AbZjbh3lZT6mlqXs7qwdydg

I just don’t see an end because we can unify to do the simplest things. And even when things improve, politicians rush to get things back to normal. And guess what? Cases and deaths go back up. So many countries, “developed” and otherwise have contained this because their leaders and their people are willing to do the basic work necessary. But we are looking at kids missing a full school year.

I've thought a lot about this question - how to improve our status and get through this. I'm not sure how effective it would be, but I would recommend 30 minute national briefings every night, Monday through Friday, and always at the same time. The format for each briefing would be similar (update on the numbers over the past 24 hours, identification of hot spots and areas that are improving, updates on new research, and then re-enforcing of the current recommendations). Different scientists/physicians/task force members would lead each night, which might prevent the crazies from generating consistent conspiracy theories. Andrew Cuomo did this in New York and I think it was generally well received.

Maybe this is on me, but I don't wear a mask when pumping gas either, though I am very conscious about doing so indoors and/or when I am interacting with people. I don't get in close proximity to anyone while filling my tank, and it is outside. I suppose there could be considerations of the people before and after at the same pump, but I assumed the air would circulate enough to clear out.

what is the current understanding on the viral spread because from what I understand it would be very hard to transmit between two unmasked people passing by outside

There is a group that is use to being told fairytales and will gladly take it all in without questioning anything they see right in front of their own eyes, including the sickness or death of a family member.

For those interested to hear about my individual COVID sitch...

I think I had it at least a week before I realized it. I had a wicked cough and was drained, but I wrote that off as seasonal allergies and me drinking too much.

I believe I'm probably day 8 or 9 at the moment. I no longer have a fever. My oxygen dipped to 90 Wednesday but is back to 96 now. My headache was slight last night but nothing this morning. I'm still a little weak and very congested, however I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones who will make a full recovery and the worst is behind me.

My baby tested negative, as did my mom and in laws, which were around me over the last couple of weeks. My wife has cold symptoms and got tested yesterday, so we are hoping for her results today.

Wanted to share my account, as I know everyone's is different. I also recognize I'm not out of the woods yet, but things are seemingly getting better.

Maybe this is on me, but I don't wear a mask when pumping gas either, though I am very conscious about doing so indoors and/or when I am interacting with people. I don't get in close proximity to anyone while filling my tank, and it is outside. I suppose there could be considerations of the people before and after at the same pump, but I assumed the air would circulate enough to clear out.

Wearing a mask while You pump gas I’m not super concerned about, though I think you should. I’m really referring to public places and events where people move around and share space. It’s the adults who don’t wear masks inside businesses that really piss me off. If you can’t wear a mask for 5 minutes to buy cigs, you’re just an asshole, plain and simple.

Wearing a mask while You pump gas I’m not super concerned about, though I think you should. I’m really referring to public places and events where people move around and share space. It’s the adults who don’t wear masks inside businesses that really piss me off. If you can’t wear a mask for 5 minutes to buy cigs, you’re just an asshole, plain and simple.

it goes back to the people like those arrested yesterday for trying to kidnap Whitmer. they're the ones taking to the streets pitching a damn fit about reopening states so they can go to Applebee's. and it's like, ok we will, but you have to do this one slightly different behavior, and that's a bridge too far for these morons.

what is the current understanding on the viral spread because from what I understand it would be very hard to transmit between two unmasked people passing by outside

So I think this is where a huge failure occurred that was an indirect consequence from lack of leadership and proper messaging. When the pandemic first started there was nobody telling anyone what the proper thing to do was, hell there still isn't really. The only thing you got was oh things are fine its not that bad from the administration and then what people saw with their eyes and the reality of the situation was not good. Additionally, you then had conflicting messaging because of politics.

What ended up happening was people did the normal thing where they looked to reaffirm something they already believed, super cautious or super reckless. People also started to do their own "research" as well as the media looking for any information they could get, including deep diving into non-reviewed scientific articles, random "experts", and a whole bunch of unfiltered complicated things were disseminated to the public. For example, the original study that showed that the virus was found on different surfaces for ridiculously long times, like days. That study was real, the science was real, the group was NIH and collaborators, the results didn't mean what people thought they meant. Result the public took away, people are spraying down their groceries with disinfectant and leaving packages out in the sun for an RNA virus.

It also wasn't just the public, because the virus was new and had such a spotlight on it scientists decided that all previous virology and immunology knowledge apparently should just be forgotten and everything had to be reinvented, then after the studies were done surprise surprise it acted like a virus. For example like it was some earth shattering finding that duration of illness, level of sickness, and course of infection is tied to initial viral load. With all that said, and it may be too late with credibility just shot, there should be public messaging everyday about the realities of the virus and what to do.

Anyways personal opinion on messaging should be that face mask coverings should be required whenever indoors, additionally facemask coverings should be required when outdoors in a crowd of people greater than 5 that can not maintain 6 feet distancing and the time in said crowd will exceed a short period of time. The mask at a gas pump, unnecessary, mask while on a trail unnecessary, mask while sitting next to someone on a scenic hayride to the apple orchard, necessary.

1. It affects Democrat run California.
2. He thinks he understands it and believes there is a simple solution.

Because forest management is the answer to all the symptoms of what the liberals call "climate change."

Nevermind that there are tons of federal lands where there is almost no controlled burning in California, including big parts of the current fires.

just posted a good article on the Trump and the Environment thread on the wildfires

Back