• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

interesting thread re: the "Bad News Bias" in national Covid-19 reporting

b/c no one gives a fuck about good news

Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.

I've been on the boards too long. With no context of who posted it I never would have identified that quote but when I saw ITC posted it I thought "I bet that's Tolkien" (it is).

Covid cases are rising in Florida again, including the more contagious variant from the UK.

"Scientists view Florida — the state furthest along in lifting restrictions, reopening society and welcoming tourists — as a bellwether for the nation. If recent trends there are any indication, the rest of the country may be in trouble. The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Florida has been steadily rising, though hospitalizations and deaths are still down. Over the past week, the state has averaged nearly 5,000 cases per day, an increase of 8% from its average two weeks earlier.

“Wherever we have exponential growth, we have the expectation of a surge in cases, and a surge in cases will lead to hospitalizations and deaths,” said Bill Hanage, a public health researcher at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Florida has had one of the country’s most confusing and inefficient vaccination campaigns and has fully vaccinated about 15% of its population — well below what top states, like New Mexico and South Dakota, have managed.

At least some of the cases in Florida are the result of the state’s open invitation to tourists. Hordes of students on spring break have descended on the state since mid-February. Rowdy crowds on Miami Beach this month forced officials to impose an 8 p.m. curfew, although many people still flouted the rules. Miami-Dade County, which includes Miami Beach, has experienced one of the nation’s worst outbreaks and continues to record high numbers. The county averaged more than 1,100 cases per day over the past week. In Orange County, cases are on the rise among young people. People 45 and younger account for 1 in 3 hospitalizations for COVID, and the average age for new infections has dropped to 30.

Gov. Ron DeSantis has rejected stringent restrictions from the very start of the pandemic. Florida has never had a mask mandate, and in September DeSantis banned local governments from enforcing mandates of their own. Among his scientific advisers now are architects of the Great Barrington Declaration, which called for political leaders to allow the coronavirus to spread naturally among young people, while the elderly and those with underlying conditions sheltered in place."

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/cases-florida-national-covid-bellwether-115340644.html

Wait a second, are you saying being open for Spring Break was a bad idea?

Said it ain't so!

Covid cases are rising in Florida again, including the more contagious variant from the UK.

"Scientists view Florida — the state furthest along in lifting restrictions, reopening society and welcoming tourists — as a bellwether for the nation. If recent trends there are any indication, the rest of the country may be in trouble. The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Florida has been steadily rising, though hospitalizations and deaths are still down. Over the past week, the state has averaged nearly 5,000 cases per day, an increase of 8% from its average two weeks earlier.

“Wherever we have exponential growth, we have the expectation of a surge in cases, and a surge in cases will lead to hospitalizations and deaths,” said Bill Hanage, a public health researcher at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Florida has had one of the country’s most confusing and inefficient vaccination campaigns and has fully vaccinated about 15% of its population — well below what top states, like New Mexico and South Dakota, have managed.

At least some of the cases in Florida are the result of the state’s open invitation to tourists. Hordes of students on spring break have descended on the state since mid-February. Rowdy crowds on Miami Beach this month forced officials to impose an 8 p.m. curfew, although many people still flouted the rules. Miami-Dade County, which includes Miami Beach, has experienced one of the nation’s worst outbreaks and continues to record high numbers. The county averaged more than 1,100 cases per day over the past week. In Orange County, cases are on the rise among young people. People 45 and younger account for 1 in 3 hospitalizations for COVID, and the average age for new infections has dropped to 30.

Gov. Ron DeSantis has rejected stringent restrictions from the very start of the pandemic. Florida has never had a mask mandate, and in September DeSantis banned local governments from enforcing mandates of their own. Among his scientific advisers now are architects of the Great Barrington Declaration, which called for political leaders to allow the coronavirus to spread naturally among young people, while the elderly and those with underlying conditions sheltered in place."

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/cases-florida-national-covid-bellwether-115340644.html

we'll see - i guess i always assumed once vaccination started happening we would see a case spike as people/yahoos "returned to normal". however i also assumed that cases would primarily be in low risk groups (read: dumb college kids) and therefore hospitalizations and deaths would continue to drop - sort of finally becoming "just the flu"

Got shot#1 today. Pfizer. Campus basketball gym had some leftovers, so I got a text and headed over. Was in and out in 35 minutes, including the 15 minute monitoring time at the end. The place is busy enough during peak hours that they had port-a-potties on the outside because people would wait in line for hours. Is there anything I should not do (i.e. drink, run, smoke crack, etc) over the next few days?

Got shot#1 today. Pfizer. Campus basketball gym had some leftovers, so I got a text and headed over. Was in and out in 35 minutes, including the 15 minute monitoring time at the end. The place is busy enough during peak hours that they had port-a-potties on the outside because people would wait in line for hours. Is there anything I should not do (i.e. drink, run, smoke crack, etc) over the next few days?

Exercise your arm. Probably should leave the crack pipe alone for a day or so.

Got Moderna shot #2 Friday. Round 1 was nothing at all aside from a slightly sore arm. Round two really knocked me on my ass, though. Started feeling bad Friday night before bed, and from then until Sunday morning it was waves of nausea, chills, headaches, and the entire right side of my torso feeling like I slammed into a wall. All better on Sunday.

Got Moderna shot #2 Friday. Round 1 was nothing at all aside from a slightly sore arm. Round two really knocked me on my ass, though. Started feeling bad Friday night before bed, and from then until Sunday morning it was waves of nausea, chills, headaches, and the entire right side of my torso feeling like I slammed into a wall. All better on Sunday.

Yikes - not looking forward to anything like that - though it sounds like your symptoms lasted a little longer from others that I know that have gotten both Modernas. A golf buddy said he started feeling kind of cruddy the evening of the second dose, went on to bed, and then woke-up in the AM with a terrible headache. Said he felt like he had a bad hangover, but then started feeling almost 100% by mid-day. Hope I end up on the one night/half day program and not the 2-3 day program. I guess I will l know in 3 weeks.

I've had two Moderna shots. My arm stung a little and I was minorly tired the next day after #2, but that could have been for a lot of reasons.

I've had two Moderna shots. My arm stung a little and I was minorly tired the next day after #2, but that could have been for a lot of reasons.

Old people generally have lesser reactions to the second shot because their immune systems are weakened and don't respond as strongly as young people's.

I got dose 2 pfizer on Saturday - woke up feeling like you would after a terrible night of sleep on a bad mattress. Noticed on my tracker I got only 20 minutes of REM sleep when typically I get almost 2 hours. A couple extra hours of sleep and I think I would have been fine, but with 3 really young kids Sundays are not a day for rest. Midafternoon I had a low grade fever and full body aches, then at 6PM everything lifted and I didnt even feel tired anymore. I think old people generally have lesser reactions because they can lay in bed all day.

Old people generally have lesser reactions to the second shot because their immune systems are weakened and don't respond as strongly as young people's.

My immune system is apparently still robust. Received my second Moderna shot yesterday - my arm feels like I was beaten with a nightstick and I generally feel like I have the hangover from hell.

I might be able to keep some chicken and noodles down this evening.

My immune system is apparently still robust. Received my second Moderna shot yesterday - my arm feels like I was beaten with a nightstick and I generally feel like I have the hangover from hell.

I might be able to keep some chicken and noodles down this evening.

You live too well and healthily. I eat like shit, drink and have done many things over the decades. Last year, I was sick for about half a day which was the first time in at least ten years that I've been sick at all.

Back