• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

yeah, i participate in an online community. something i value and there for contribute to in content (FWIW) and monetarily.

even the mosquitos of the world like you contribute in your own way, too. don't diminish that fact.

If District and others want to be in Brad’s proud company, I guess that is their call. It’s not like Ph donated to DeSantiss campaign fund and then jumped 37 million spots in the vaccine line. He heard that FEMA sites were considering college teachers as teachers, which they are, then went and showed his ID and got the shot. The reaction here is a bit ridiculous. I’m happy for the guy, and I’m going to try it myself.

Again, Ph this is how you do it. If you're going to jump the line, publicly be a proud douchbag about it. Don't try to blame it on the TROOPS.

Of course not, although there are some relatively simple checks some of the vaccination sites here will do. Continuity of government and critical Fed personnel are just like the Ph example. Tons of people have a badge or ID that fits the bill for what you might be asked for to "prove" you're in that category, but not everyone with that ID actually is. We just talked to a rep running one of the vaccine sites here - they'll let people in who didn't bring ID's too just on their word. The messaging has been flawed at best, the groups are vague in places, and people are skipping out on appointments or just not getting the vaccine at all. Throw in the "smokers" conundrum and a bunch of unplanned deliveries of large quantities of J&J vaccines to rural areas... Just get the damn vaccine. If you're kinda/sorta close enough to a group, just go get it if you can get an appointment.

This is kinda where I am on all this- at this point let 'er rip- go get one if you can. They called "guidelines" and not "laws" for a reason. All this hemming and hawing does is slow down the process of getting more people vaccinated.

Let's just say there are a lot of situational ethics and rationalizing at play here.

The best part is it's from posters who aren't shy in calling out and blaming #privilege when it suits their narrative.

Just a perfect fucking encapsulation of many on the Tunnels Left.

Such bullshit. He's not qualified under the terms of the law, and he knew it. And neither are you, and you know it. If an officer lets you get away with doing something illegal, that doesn't make it legal. If everyone behaved like that, there would be anarchy, and the people that the legislature has deemed most vulnerable won't be vaccinated. But I guess you guys are special, so go right ahead.

DeSantis doesn't post on this board.

This is definitely a goal post shift. Your first post accused him of lying and cheating, and now there is some sort of law that he broke. The legislature hasn't done shit here, it's all by Desantis decree.

I don't think there's an actual legal framework for getting vaccines you technically aren't eligible for. Most states pretty much have statements that everything is on the honor system. Also sites aren't designed to police peoples actions and rarely, unless completely obvious, would turn someone away because they don't fit a criteria. With a patchwork of vaccine providers, state level, federal level, pharmacy level, hospital level, it doesn't surprise me that a particular site is doing something different that a bunch of others. Hell some sites get instructions and have openings for anyone and then need to roll it back when told, yeah that wasn't suppose to happen.

The problem here is just own what you did and recognize that it does not fall into some gray area, by the states decree you were not eligible. Should people that work at universities be eligible with other teachers, yes. Is that what the current guidelines show, no. Is that obvious if you look at any state website, read any newspaper article, wonder why university unions and others are bitching, yes. Does your ability to get a vaccine change any of the previous points, no.

Well is does when you're accusing someone of breaking a law.

Frankly, the utter lack of ethics and social responsibility is more bothersome to me than the technicality of whether you are breaking a law or a governor's order.

I’m of the belief that the more shots in arms now, the better. Particularly if you have other health issues or work with the public in any way. My mom is 64 with asthma but rigidly ethical and refusing to get the shot until it’s her turn. Meanwhile my dad is in better health than here but 65 so he arbitrarily gets access to the shot. It’s noble but she needs to just go get it.

Frankly, the utter lack of ethics and social responsibility is more bothersome to me than the technicality of whether you are breaking a law or a governor's order.

What's next for you...first lying and cheating accusations didn't pan out so we turned to law breaking, which wasn't true either, now it's ethics and social responsibility! What about the ethics of forcing professors into the class room with 20 years olds that are blatantly disregarding masking social distancing decrees (or are they laws?!?!) but then intentionally leaving those professors out of the eligible group when you admit "teachers"?

What's next for you...first lying and cheating accusations didn't pan out so we turned to law breaking, which wasn't true either, now it's ethics and social responsibility! What about the ethics of forcing professors into the class room with 20 years olds that are blatantly disregarding masking social distancing decrees (or are they laws?!?!) but then intentionally leaving those professors out of the eligible group when you admit "teachers"?

No, I'm sticking with lying and cheating.

If you have a problem with the qualifications, take it up with your governor. If you can look yourself in the mirror knowing that you lied, cheated, and cut in line--and maybe kept someone who was actually eligible from getting vaccinated that day--that's between you and your conscience. Obviously, nothing I say is going to do anything to your ability to rationalize your behavior.

Now that all the university professors are getting vaccinated maybe some of you can talk with a professor of Ethics and Moral Philosophy. Also maybe read something on the issue, I suggest starting with "Practical Ethics and Their Application in the Modern World: Moral Reasoning and the Human Paradox of Self Preservation in relation to the Social Contract: a Treatise on the Value of Universal and Mutually Beneficial Ethical Responses, as Displayed in Everyday Interactions".

Now that all the university professors are getting vaccinated maybe some of you can talk with a professor of Ethics and Moral Philosophy. Also maybe read something on the issue, I suggest starting with "Practical Ethics and Their Application in the Modern World: Moral Reasoning and the Human Paradox of Self Preservation in relation to the Social Contract: a Treatise on the Value of Universal and Mutually Beneficial Ethical Responses, as Displayed in Everyday Interactions".

Oaqcxj4.png

But Ph didn’t lie or cheat. He went to the site, showed his ID and they determined that he qualified. Where is your outrage over DeSantis trading money for shots?

I can 100% confirm this happened. I have a friend who's in-laws are crazy loaded and own a vacation home in Florida. They had the vaccine at their private community clinic well before the general public got it. Desantis needs to go jail for this bullshit.

Back