• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Death of Bob Gibson.

centerdeac

Reaction score
RIP sir. A good commentary on his pitching is on rjkarl's thread.

Last edited:
Another giant of baseball gone. A man who was so good at what he did that they literally changed the playing field. The mound was lowered from 15 inches to 10 inches above the height of the plate after his amazing season in 1968.

Condolences to his family, friends and all baseball fans.

Another giant of baseball gone. A man who was so good at what he did that they literally changed the playing field. The mound was lowered from 15 inches to 10 inches above the height of the plate after his amazing season in 1968.

Condolences to his family, friends and all baseball fans.

Pretty good basketball player too. I assume RJ's thread covers that.

Would hit a dude too close to plate then dare them to visit mound. Very few ever did.

He was a total stud and this is coming from a Dodger fan.

Saw him pitch in person several times as a kid. Saw him pitch a shutout against the Red Sox in the 1967 World Series in St Louis. Man was tough as nails.

A true baseball legend. He was he definition of the “hard throwing right hander”.
He stared you down, then mowed you down.
Nothing pissed him off more than when his catcher came out to talk to him.
“Leave me alone, I pitch, you catch” he would say to McCarver.
My top three Starting pitchers has always been Cy Young, Walter Johnson and Sandy Koufax.
Gibson was on the second rung along with Tom Seaver and Christy Mathewson.
Third rung; Spahn, Marichal & Grover Cleveland Alexander.
Some great ones after that but those are my Everest.

Last night I heard a funny story about Gibson, I assume it is true.
Apparently his last official pitch as a ML pitcher was a grand slam...not exactly how you want to go out. Several years later he faced that same batter in an old timers' game...and dinged him. He never forgot. That is ole school.

Last night I heard a funny story about Gibson, I assume it is true.
Apparently his last official pitch as a ML pitcher was a grand slam...not exactly how you want to go out. Several years later he faced that same batter in an old timers' game...and dinged him. He never forgot. That is ole school.

I read this as well. If true, its about the best baseball story I ever heard and so typical Gibson.

Back