• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eddie Van Halen dead at 65

FUUUUUCK. RIP GOAT, time for a VH-athon.

A great light among us has gone out

When I need a shot of adrenaline, a pick me up, that song, Eruption, is my go-to. Has been for a loooong long time. That particular video above is peak Eddie.

dad took me to see the OG lineup with lil halen on bass

that show fucking rocked and was defs a reason I got into music even if it wasn't 70s/80s hard rock

I enjoyed Van Halen back in the day.

They weren't my favorite, but I had a cassette tape or 3 of their music that I thoroughly enjoyed while riding around in my car.

Grew up listening to Van Halen and going to see their 1984 show in high school is still a favorite memory. Can't even imagine how much time I've spent listening to him play the guitar over the last four decades.

Horrible day. Fuck Cancer.

RIP

he made it look easy

always loved this tune

great pickin' from the Hagar era

Last edited:
the first time hearing Eruption was an amazing experience

RIP Eddie

2020 takes another great guitar player from us. Condolences to his family, friends and fans of his music.

May he rest in peace.

I have been fortunate enough to see 3 of the great guitarists in concert- Prince, Eddie Van Halen, and Eric Clapton. Having lost Prince and now Eddie, I'm starting to get a little worried about Clapton. And he's the oldest one of the 3.

You can argue for days over who was actually the best player, but I think you'll get little argument over who was the most influential. EVH inspired so many kids to pick up a guitar so they could play like EVH. Most (like me) never even sniffed his talent, but a few did, and every heavy metal/hard rock/hair rock guitarist owes a debt to EVH. Even those (again, like me) who draw on other influences because we long ago realized we would never be able to play like EVH owe him a debt because EVH is the reason we wanted to play guitar in the first place. He was a guitar god, THE MAN when I grew up.

Glad I got to see them when they first reunited with Roth, even though DLR couldn't sing and Wolfie was on bass. It was just a glimpse of what I'd missed, but it took me back to a good place.

RIP EVH.

Back