• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Airline Travel

I flying to western NY in a couple weeks for a fishing trip. Thought about driving but that would be miserable (2 hour flight v. 10 hour drive). Not looking forward to the flight but whatever. Ticket price was pretty cheap, too - under $300.00.

I have stayed in several hotels during the pandemic and no concerns there. Some are better than others but all of them have been pretty good. I go out to eat regularly, too, but I won’t go back to a couple of our favorites because so many of the customers don’t wear masks.

I flying to western NY in a couple weeks for a fishing trip. Thought about driving but that would be miserable (2 hour flight v. 10 hour drive). Not looking forward to the flight but whatever. Ticket price was pretty cheap, too - under $300.00.

I have stayed in several hotels during the pandemic and no concerns there. Some are better than others but all of them have been pretty good. I go out to eat regularly, too, but I won’t go back to a couple of our favorites because so many of the customers don’t wear masks.

Yeah, I've got some air travel coming up in a couple of months and I'm not anxious about it yet. Reports seem to be pretty good from the airplanes but hit or miss from the airports.

We walked into RuRu's last night and there was a wait for a table and the patio looked like it was a regular night from 2019. I said no way, family complained, but I held fast. We went to 1900 Mexican Grill over on Elizabeth Ave and after about 15 minutes my daughter threw a chip in the queso and announced, "This place sucks !"

Yeah, I've got some air travel coming up in a couple of months and I'm not anxious about it yet. Reports seem to be pretty good from the airplanes but hit or miss from the airports.

We walked into RuRu's last night and there was a wait for a table and the patio looked like it was a regular night from 2019. I said no way, family complained, but I held fast. We went to 1900 Mexican Grill over on Elizabeth Ave and after about 15 minutes my daughter threw a chip in the queso and announced, "This place sucks !"

Ha! Went to RuRu’s a couple weeks ago - food was very good, drinks were better, and I felt good enough about safety so we stayed.

I've had no issues with it...just annoying to have to wear the mask that long but c'est la vie.

My wife and kids are going back East for the month of November after living in California for 6 months. It took awhile to convince my wife to drive but I was not about to let her fly with 3 kids. Who knows what they would touch or lick in the airport or plane. I am meeting them for Thanksgiving week which forces me to fly but I like my odds better than theirs.

This is how you get COVID.

Flying out west tomorrow for a job interview with the board of a company. Seems like an awesome opportunity. They gave me the out to not come and I guess do things via zoom, but I did not want to come across as uncooperative. The job would also require air travel once or twice a month. Am I stupid for doing this? I've had off and on anxiety about it this week.

Planes are the cleanest now that they have ever been and are not as crowded as they used to be.

Headed to California in December. Haven’t seen the kids/Grandkids in over a year.
We are going to be as careful as possible.

Flying out west tomorrow for a job interview with the board of a company. Seems like an awesome opportunity. They gave me the out to not come and I guess do things via zoom, but I did not want to come across as uncooperative. The job would also require air travel once or twice a month. Am I stupid for doing this? I've had off and on anxiety about it this week.

You will be ok. Everyone wears masks on the flights. Probably the right decision from an interview perspective as well. I have work trips to Azores, Barcelona and Madrid coming up, and while I have not flown domestically in the US, I did a flight in this summer, and everyone did what they were supposed to.

agreed - we flew CLT-SFO in August and it was fine. Everyone on the plane wore masks and no issues. Just bring a snack as they are cutting back on that.

Flew to Montana and home from Wyoming a few weeks ago. From GSO and via O'Hare.

- Airfares were extremely low....less than $300 roundtrip.

- Flights were crowded (airline = AA), but apparently Delta is leaving the middle seats open, which is very commendable.

- In flight policies are very good. Masks required, very limited services, etc. Enforcement of these policies was good, but not great. After takeoff, there were always a few who simply refused to cover both their nose and mouth. Rarely saw them called out by the airline.

- Airports were much less crowded. Sure, the gate of a boarding flight is crowded, but the neighboring gate usually was not. Obviously, hole up there.

It's a numbers game. Pre-covid I was on about 4 trips per month via airline. Not comfortable with that, but I could do 1x / month now and feel safe.

I flew round trip to San Juan last week, my first trip down there since March. (pre-COVID I went down there typically once a month).

I flew American out of Charlotte as I normally do. Other than wearing a mask the entire time inside the airport and on the plane, and not having in-flight drink/snack service (they handed out baggies with a small bottle of water, a cookie, and a disinfectant wipe as you board the plane), there wasn't much difference than before. The number of daily flights to and from San Juan from/to Charlotte is down overall, but the flight itself had as many passengers as it used to. Everyone on the flights down and back all complied with wearing a mask, so I did not witness any issues with any non-compliant/non-cooperative passengers.

Last edited:
We are headed to St. John tomorrow... First flight since the whole pandemic thing started. We haven't even eaten inside a restaurant. Little anxious but not going to pass up St. John! Had to get a negative covid test and upload it to the VI travel portal. My wife will wipe everything down as soon as we get on the plane, I am sure... AA already emailed us and said the flights are packed and asking for volunteers to change flights. Great!

We are headed to St. John tomorrow... First flight since the whole pandemic thing started. We haven't even eaten inside a restaurant. Little anxious but not going to pass up St. John! Had to get a negative covid test and upload it to the VI travel portal. My wife will wipe everything down as soon as we get on the plane, I am sure... AA already emailed us and said the flights are packed and asking for volunteers to change flights. Great!

Yea my flight down there was completely full. AA is shitting the bed with this middle seat jive, but I usually get bumped to first class so ill let the peasants worry bout that.

Back