• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has Sage hurt his draft status?

He risked being labeled injury prone with a potential injury this season. No season-ending injury last year and he probably plays this year.

Agree 100%. Great kid, great contributor, look at it thru his eyes with a 5-10 yr possible League career at risk. Ability will win out and we should all celebrate his future opportunity to represent himself, his family and MSD.

So you don't respect a top round draft pick coming off a season ending injury? Your name fits.

Not sure why you have sand in your vagina. I respect his right to make decisions that he feels are best for him. I don't particularly respect sitting out on your team that was built around you at the last minute so he can avoid getting hurt and work out for combines. Is he even still in school at Wake now? Is he getting his scholarship to sit out? I'm mean I don't care either way but Dortch, Newman, Surratt all had opportunities to be all-time Wake greats and they all went another way. Whatever but makes me wonder why Wake can't get their draft "possibles" to play while you have multiple first round locks playing all over the country.

He risked being labeled injury prone with a potential injury this season. No season-ending injury last year and he probably plays this year.

Maybe, maybe not. It seemed like he was good to go health-wise this year. If you mean he's sitting out, not because he's unhealthy but because another injury would look bad, then maybe. (Of course I don't see how sitting out to avoid being injured looks particularly better, but hey, I'm not an NFL scout.)

Agree 100%. Great kid, great contributor, look at it thru his eyes with a 5-10 yr possible League career at risk. Ability will win out and we should all celebrate his future opportunity to represent himself, his family and MSD.

See above. I wish him the best. But he really crapped on his teammates and fans who have supported building this program. If it's what's best for him, cool. I don't have to celebrate it though.

Last edited:
no, but his brother will always have this over him for the rest of their lives. "Hey Sage, remember back in in 2020 when you sat out and I made first team All conference because I sure do."

Then there is this--Sage was leading WR vote getter on the 2019 1st team All-ACC team and only played in 8 games!

The complete 2019 All-ACC Football Team:

First-Team Offense
QB - Trevor Lawrence, Clemson; 150
RB - Travis Etienne, Clemson; 176
RB - AJ Dillon, Boston College; 168
WR - Sage Surratt, Wake Forest; 167
WR - Tee Higgins, Clemson; 153
WR - Tutu Atwell, Louisville; 153

An additional season producing at the same level as last season would only help Surratt's draft status. The same could be said for Newman and Dortch. To think otherwise is naive. The NFL isn't looking for players that play it safe. They look for players willing to put it on the line every play of every game of every season.

An additional season producing at the same level as last season would only help Surratt's draft status. The same could be said for Newman and Dortch. To think otherwise is naive. The NFL isn't looking for players that play it safe. They look for players willing to put it on the line every play of every game of every season.

Normally sure. But you go into an interview at the combine and the question comes up and the answer is I had the opportunity to get life changing money for my family and achieve my dream of playing professionally and I wasn’t willing to risk that on an unknown possibility of getting a virus that we don’t fully understand.

Normally sure. But you go into an interview at the combine and the question comes up and the answer is I had the opportunity to get life changing money for my family and achieve my dream of playing professionally and I wasn’t willing to risk that on an unknown possibility of getting a virus that we don’t fully understand.

That answer won't do him as much good as another season of high quality production.

He's entitled to do what he thinks is right for him, but he hasn't "helped" his draft status. Now nobody knows how he'll actually be after his injury. He may be healthy enough to do a pro day, if there is one.. Getting into the NFL is not guaranteed, even if Covid is your reason to skip the season. Nobody in the NFL will give you a gold star for that. Good luck to him.

I agree, plus how many other receivers may have a breakout year and move ahead of someone who didn't play. His ability to catch in traffic was better than his combine results wii

Nothing to worry about. His brother will take care of him and the family. Screw the virus, the unknown, and the Republicans. Dream Crushers !

Unless he or someone he he lives with has an underlying condition, opting out is looking like a bad decision. He’s going to slip a round or two at least. Just like he moved up the board last year there are guys moving up the board this year. COVID is still going to be around next nfl season, will he plan to take a pass on his rookie season as well? Once he decided to return to wake he really needed to play. Wake players, guys who worked their way onto draft boards and outplayed high school rankings, need to keep performing to overcome biases.

Sitting out is not going to help his draft status, that's for sure. But his 40 time will determine his draft stock more than anything else.

So ability is still the first metric. Healthy, he will do fine. AD, Covid a similar factor next season in NFL? If it is, many of these discussions on all threads will be moot.

Sitting out is not going to help his draft status, that's for sure. But his 40 time will determine his draft stock more than anything else.

I agree with this assessment, his 40 time is really going to say whether he is a late first round pick or 4th rounder. 247 is projecting 5 WR's to go in the first round right now and none of them are Sage. Heck, they don't even have him going in the top 3 rounds.

He can still have a monster combine and rise back up but sitting out is definitely going to drop his draft ranking this fall. I respect anyone's decision this year, but Sage would have benefitted from returning. He has an 8 game stretch of college dominance, but that's about it.

He can still have a monster combine and rise back up but sitting out is definitely going to drop his draft ranking this fall. I respect anyone's decision this year, but Sage would have benefitted from returning. He has an 8 game stretch of college dominance, but that's about it.

That's a lot better than what Jamie Newman has.

Jamie has the better measurables for his position than Sage does; Sage has the better production

Back