• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Joe Morgan

Pilchard

Reaction score
Could do it all offense, defense and base-running. Loved him on TV as well.

511161baac336362d7c6bbe68837da6b.jpg

s-l640.jpg

Not a baseball fan any longer but was a big fan as a kid, and the big red machine was my favorite NL team. He was 1 of the best 2Bs ever and was a good announcer. And had that strange elbow twitch awaiting a pitch.

Not a baseball fan any longer but was a big fan as a kid, and the big red machine was my favorite NL team. He was 1 of the best 2Bs ever and was a good announcer. And had that strange elbow twitch awaiting a pitch.

The Reds' trade with the Astros to acquire Morgan ranks with the trade of Frank Robby to the O's a few years earlier as among the most unbalanced trades ever. I guess for the Reds they cancelled each other out over time. RIP, Joe.

The Reds' trade with the Astros to acquire Morgan ranks with the trade of Frank Robby to the O's a few years earlier as among the most unbalanced trades ever. I guess for the Reds they cancelled each other out over time. RIP, Joe.

Just to complete that circle of the 3 worst trades in baseball history, all involving the O's, Astros and Reds, in the late 80s, the O's traded Finley, Schilling and Harnish for Glenn Davis.

Same here. Not a fan any more, but as a kid the Reds were great and a favorite. What a team. When I saw this thread, the first thing I thought of was his elbow twitch. I’m sure lots of kids tried it.

I am most connected to Joe Morgan through firejoemorgan.com, which remains one of my favorite websites of all time.

Was run by a guy (Michael Schur) who wrote for SNL and went on to write for The Office, Parks and Rec, and others.

Joe Morgan provided one of the key hits in Braves history. In 1982 on the last day of the season as a Giant he hit a tie-breaking 3 run HR against LA, helping the Braves finish 1 game ahead. I loved Joe with the Reds but probably never more so than on that Sunday afternoon. That put the Braves in the playoffs for the first time since the rotten years (as the song called them) of the 1970s.

I am most connected to Joe Morgan through firejoemorgan.com, which remains one of my favorite websites of all time.

Was run by a guy (Michael Schur) who wrote for SNL and went on to write for The Office, Parks and Rec, and others.

Oh, so that's where the name Ken Tremendous came from - I wasn't familiar with the site and had to google it. Wasn't an Office fan but was a big Parks and Rec fan and like Schur. Funny that virtually no one knew who Chris Pratt, Aubrey Plaza and Nick Offerman were before he and Allison Jones found them.

What a brilliant website. It’s still up - those who’ve never read it should check it out.

The great contradiction of Morgan the ball player vs Morgan the announcer is that as a player, he was an analytics darling. He did all those little things that created value and added wins that weren’t captured in traditional, back of the baseball card stats. Yet as an announcer, he shit on the “stat nerd” people who had the most appreciation for the things he did as a player. Regardless, he’s an inner circle hall of famer and probably the 2nd best second baseman ever, behind Hornsby.

Key Member of the Big Red Machine.

Of all the great teams I've seen, that Team had the most talent one to nine.

RIP Joe.

He reminds me of a time when I cared deeply about baseball and the Sox. When I apparently had nothing better to do for 3-5 hours at a time than sit and enjoy a baseball game. I really liked Joe Morgan as an announcer, he just had a very unique and memorable sound. I remember all of the announcers during my baseball fandom heyday, including the PA announcers at Fenway and Yankee Stadium. I still remember being annoyed when cell phones started to make their way into the ballparks and people became more and more fixated on their phones instead of the game. I think it was a combination of the Sox finally winning, the passion of the overall fanbase going down significantly after the 2004 and 2007 wins, the overall popularity of baseball dwindling over a longer period, the game length, and my own (and everyone's) attention spans getting shorter. Anyway..RIP Joe Morgan.

He was the quintessential Sunday Night Baseball commentator - would watch him every Sunday as a kid, and that's how I learned about his contributions to the Big Red Machine in the 70s.

For the record I hated Joe Morgan as a player and hated Joe Morgan as an announcer. Thank you.

As a Phillies' fan in the late 70's - 80's I hated Lil' Joe and all of the Reds. But, when we played whiffle ball I loved to imitate his elbow "twitch". It didn't help my hitting.... Later, I respected the Reds, and their teams, and definitely enjoyed listening to Joe on Sunday night baseball. RIP, "Toy Cannon".

My bad. I remember Jimmy Wynn as well. Too many childhood stars leaving too early.

My bad. I remember Jimmy Wynn as well. Too many childhood stars leaving too early.

I know. It’s easy to accept the fact that the guys we grew up watching are retired. It’s harder to come to grips with the fact that they’re passing. The picture of Joe at the top of the thread just doesn’t seem that long ago.

Back