• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hatch retiring?

The dean of a large college would definitely be a strong internal candidate. But typically the Provost would be an even stronger internal candidate. Seems like Wake would be in the market for a Provost from an Ivy/Stanford/Duke tier institution though.

I appreciate that insight. I know that Hatch was Provost at ND but really have no idea what that entails.

I’m nowhere close to the inside but if Wake goes with an internal hire, Kersh seems like the obvious pick.

The Provost is basically the VP of Academics or Chief Academic Officer or however you want to put it. The deans of each college report to the provost. At most institutions, the provost is the #2 most powerful person next to the president.

Provost Rogan Kersh, Class of 1986.

I was his Huffman RA. He likes sports. :thumbsup:

If Wake goes with an internal hire, he would be the logical choice.

However, Wake has generally stepped outside the WFU family for presidents. The note above, suggesting that Hatch's successor would come from ivies, Stanford, Duke , ND etc. only fits Hatch historically.

Modern Wake presidents have come from presidency of smaller schools.
Harold Tribble: Andover Seminary
James Scales: Oklahoma Baptist U

Thomas Hearn was Vice President of non-medical at U of Alabama, Birmingham.

Nathan Hatch: Provost, Notre Dame.

Only Hatch was selected without the requirement of being a member of the Southern Baptist Convention. For that he can thank Dr. Hearn.

The field of potential candidates is as wide as it has ever been. It will be an interesting process. Does Wake step outside the usual old white guys and pick a woman or person of color?

I think it will be someone who has significant time as a high level administrator at a private college or university. Beyond that, IDK.

If Wake goes with an internal hire, he would be the logical choice.

However, Wake has generally stepped outside the WFU family for presidents. The note above, suggesting that Hatch's successor would come from ivies, Stanford, Duke , ND etc. only fits Hatch historically.

Modern Wake presidents have come from presidency of smaller schools.
Harold Tribble: Andover Seminary
James Scales: Oklahoma Baptist U

Thomas Hearn was Vice President of non-medical at U of Alabama, Birmingham.

Nathan Hatch: Provost, Notre Dame.

Only Hatch was selected without the requirement of being a member of the Southern Baptist Convention. For that he can thank Dr. Hearn.

The field of potential candidates is as wide as it has ever been. It will be an interesting process. Does Wake step outside the usual old white guys and pick a woman or person of color?

I think it will be someone who has significant time as a high level administrator at a private college or university. Beyond that, IDK.

The smart decision would be yes. We’ll see if the Board is actually committed to inclusion and diversity.

I hope the board is committed to picking best available for the job, regardless of sex or race.

Regardless of what you think, the best person for the job may not be another white guy.

Last edited:
I vote this is at best third related to athletics. See Dead Manningkin walking

It's not just the retirement. It is the next hire. Just like with other jobs, the person holding the position shapes it to his or her personality. The job of university president is one where the personal proclivities of the incumbent significantly shape what is and what is not important to the university.

Regardless of what you think, the best person for the job may not be another white guy.

How the hell do you know what I think? I'm fully on board with black/white/straight/gay/female/male, as long as it is the best person available. Take your bullshit somewhere else.

How the hell do you know what I think? I'm fully on board with black/white/straight/gay/female/male, as long as it is the best person available. Take your bullshit somewhere else.

Sorry. You implied you were against a commitment to diversity and inclusion.

I certainly don't speak for all current students but I'm very happy to see him go. Between letting Trump use the Joel lot as parking for his super spreader rally while enforcing overly strict regulations on campus, taking years to buy out Manning while accepting an absurd salary, sending an email accepting the racist dean of admission's apology on behalf of black students, trying to kill Greek life, and a host of other issues I think we clearly need a president that isn't a self promoting hypocrite and actually cares about the student experience.

Back