• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hatch retiring?

It’s really nice to have a current student perspective on this.

I hope this means the BOARD OF TRUSTEES is fired along with him!!!!

Has there ever been a Wake President who went to Wake as a student......undergrad or grad?

I wonder if there is a college or university in America where the current president is beloved by students and rabid sports fans, much less the subpopulation of students and rabid sports fans who choose to post their feelings on anonymous message boards.

Like any leader of a large organization, Hatch can and should be criticized for the bad decisions made during his tenure, but should also be recognized for the many accomplishments of the University under his leadership. How one weighs the accomplishments (say, the creation of the Innovation Quarter and the first engineering program in the school's history, as just one example) vs. the detriments (the Wellman/[Redacted]/Manning decade of failure) are a matter of personal perception I suppose, but I think it's a bit much to act like Nathan Hatch was some anchor around the neck of Wake Forest University.

I wonder if there is a college or university in America where the current president is beloved by students and rabid sports fans, much less the subpopulation of students and rabid sports fans who choose to post their feelings on anonymous message boards.

Like any leader of a large organization, Hatch can and should be criticized for the bad decisions made during his tenure, but should also be recognized for the many accomplishments of the University under his leadership. How one weighs the accomplishments (say, the creation of the Innovation Quarter and the first engineering program in the school's history, as just one example) vs. the detriments (the Wellman/[Redacted]/Manning decade of failure) are a matter of personal perception I suppose, but I think it's a bit much to act like Nathan Hatch was some anchor around the neck of Wake Forest University.

Well he certainly wasn’t some helium ballon - we’ve stalled out in the national rankings while tuition has skyrocketed.

I guess congratulations on not making things worse?

Hatch was, is, and always will be an "academics first" guy. Thus his big accomplishments:
Wake Will
Innovation Quarter
Engineering School and Program
Increased life sciences graduate programs
Working relationship agreement with Atrium Health

One area Wake is well behind its peer private universities is endowment funds. Most peers have 5 or more times Wake's endowment.

Harvard's endowment is large enough to generate Wakes total endowment every year at 2.5% interest.

Put another way, 2% interest on Harvard's endowment would be more than half Wake's annual operating budget.

Money is what makes higher education go. Wake Will just barely kept Wake in the billion club. Expect another big fund raising push once a new president is on board and Covid concerns have been mitigated.

I'm curious about what Hatch did to fuck with Greek life on campus, as noted in an above post? I'm class of '75, and had not heard about any antagonism. There has always been an "uneasiness" between the administration and Greeks.

Well he certainly wasn’t some helium ballon - we’ve stalled out in the national rankings while tuition has skyrocketed.

I guess congratulations on not making things worse?

Do you think all the other top 30 or top 50 schools were keeping tuition level and not doing anything to try and rise in the rankings?
Wake is in an arms race with every other elite or wannabe elite private university in the country, as well as the top public schools. That tuition pays for the experience necessary to attract the very wealthy, elite students who can keep that ranking high with their high SAT scores, selectivity, etc.
I pulled data for WFU, Duke and Vandy on tuition and ranking in 2005 when Hatch was hired, and 2020. Tuition is inflation adjusted, and I used only tuition because they didn't report room and board in 2005.
WFU 2005 tuition $39,667 2020 54430 73% increase. Rank 27 then, 27 now.
Duke 2005 tuition $42,55 2020 58031 73% increase. Rank 5 then, 10 now.
Vandy 2005 tuition $41,663 2020 52070 80% increase. Rank 18 then, 17 now (although they have been as high as 14 recently).

I didn't cherry pick these, I picked the two most obvious (to me) comparisons. If someone has time you can look up the same data for Emory or any other school you fancy. Tuition data comes from the Chronicle of Higher Ed, you must sign up for a free account to get the historical data.

If the gripe is high tuition and stagnant ratings, that's a gripe about the entire US higher education system. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I'm curious about what Hatch did to fuck with Greek life on campus, as noted in an above post? I'm class of '75, and had not heard about any antagonism. There has always been an "uneasiness" between the administration and Greeks.

As I posted in the Pit thread, it was the same with Hearn in the 90s. Everyone thought he was out to run the Greeks off campus.

Hatch was, is, and always will be an "academics first" guy. Thus his big accomplishments:
Wake Will
Innovation Quarter

One area Wake is well behind its peer private universities is endowment funds. Most peers have 5 or more times Wake's endowment.

Harvard's endowment is large enough to generate Wakes total endowment every year at 2.5% interest.

Put another way, 2% interest on Harvard's endowment would be more than half Wake's annual operating budget.

Money is what makes higher education go. Wake Will just barely kept Wake in the billion club. Expect another big fund raising push once a new president is on board and Covid concerns have been mitigated.

Exactly. Due to the power of compounding returns, a school in a Southern state that only figured out the industrial revolution in about 1890 is always going to be way behind schools in the Northeast that got a 200 year head start on the endowment race. For a Southern comparison, we're also behind - our patron saint of tobacco money only arrived in 1940, vs. Commodore Vanderbilt setting up his school with $21,000,000 (in today's money) in 1872.

has any school made a significant rise in the rankings the last 20 years? it seems like it's the same top 30 schools, maybe moving 2-3 spots in either direction temporarily. but i don't pay particularly close attention it it.

has any school made a significant rise in the rankings the last 20 years? it seems like it's the same top 30 schools, maybe moving 2-3 spots in either direction temporarily. but i don't pay particularly close attention it it.

Too lazy to look it up but I would guess maybe Washington University in St Louis or Tufts...

You don’t have to look very far to the recent past President of Elon U. Ok he’s retired but was beloved for decades and did a solid job. Real solid.

UC Irvine has had a huge rise; no idea what to attribute it to. Seemed like there was a lot more movement up to the mid-2000s, and then a lot of schools started to strategize around not gaming the rankings anymore (dropping testing requirements, not disclosing faculty salaries, etc.).

Wake Will
Innovation Quarter

#1, #2 and #5 are more of real estate/$$$ achievements than academic.

The more $$$ Hatch brings into Wake, the higher salary he could justify.

Another way to look at the rankings is like you would prospective athletes. If Forbes successfully recruited the #27 player, but passed on #23-26 because they played spots he already had filled would it really matter? Is #27 that different from #26 or #25?

Do you think all the other top 30 or top 50 schools were keeping tuition level and not doing anything to try and rise in the rankings?
Wake is in an arms race with every other elite or wannabe elite private university in the country, as well as the top public schools. That tuition pays for the experience necessary to attract the very wealthy, elite students who can keep that ranking high with their high SAT scores, selectivity, etc.
I pulled data for WFU, Duke and Vandy on tuition and ranking in 2005 when Hatch was hired, and 2020. Tuition is inflation adjusted, and I used only tuition because they didn't report room and board in 2005.
WFU 2005 tuition $39,667 2020 54430 73% increase. Rank 27 then, 27 now.
Duke 2005 tuition $42,55 2020 58031 73% increase. Rank 5 then, 10 now.
Vandy 2005 tuition $41,663 2020 52070 80% increase. Rank 18 then, 17 now (although they have been as high as 14 recently).

I didn't cherry pick these, I picked the two most obvious (to me) comparisons. If someone has time you can look up the same data for Emory or any other school you fancy. Tuition data comes from the Chronicle of Higher Ed, you must sign up for a free account to get the historical data.

If the gripe is high tuition and stagnant ratings, that's a gripe about the entire US higher education system. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

They don’t give out medals for treading water.

Back