• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hatch retiring?

Current student here as well. Wouldn't be mad if we trimmed some of the fat of the university to get back some of our tuition money. That includes admin duties and getting rid of some majors/classes/professors that don't really appeal to the majority of the school.

Yes but having majors and minors with very few students in them costs the university more in professors salaries, opportunity cost in various office and classroom spaces on campus, and eventual alumni donations than they will ultimately receive in tuition from the students that choose to major in those fields (compared to those in more popular/lucrative fields). College is a business and the finances of this university are not limitless. Bolstering some of the great and popular tracks and programs to make them truly world class would help the university raise its popularity and status against our peer institutions far more than keeping/expanding with more good-to-mediocre programs.

How do you know what majors will be popular 10 years from now?

I've always thought of college as a place that should prepare you for a job. So for me, it's not about what majors are popular. I have trouble envisioning how many of these majors help you prepare for jobs, unless you want REALLY specific jobs. It would be really interesting to see the stats / percentages on how many Wake grads are using their major in their current jobs. It's worth noting that Wake apparently eliminated my major since I graduated lol.

A
Accountancy
African Studies
American Ethnic Studies
Anthropology
Applied Mathematics
Arabic
Art History

B
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Bioethics, Humanities and Medicine
Biology
Biophysics
Business & Enterprise Management

C
Chemistry
Chinese Language and Culture
Classical Languages
Classical Studies
Communication
Computer Science
Creative Writing
Cultural Heritage & Preservation Studies

D
Dance

E
East Asian Studies
Economics
Elementary Education
Engineering
English
Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise
Environmental and Sustainability Studies
Environmental Science
Environmental Studies

F
Film and Media Studies
Finance
French Studies

G
German & German Studies
Global Trade and Commerce Studies
Greek

H
Health and Exercise Science
Health and Human Services
Health Policy and Administration
Hindi-Urdu
History

I
Interdisciplinary Humanities
Interdisciplinary Major
International Studies
Italian Language & Culture

J
Japanese Language and Culture
Jewish Studies
Journalism

L
Latin
Latin-American & Latino Studies
Linguistics

M
Mathematical Business
Mathematical Economics
Mathematical Statistics
Mathematics
Medieval & Early Modern Studies
Middle East and South Asia Studies
Music
Music in Liberal Arts
Music Performance

N
Neuroscience

P
Philosophy
Physics
Politics and International Affairs
Psychology

R
Religious Studies
Russian
Russian and East European Studies

S
Schools, Education, and Society
Secondary Education
Sociology
Spanish
Statistics
Studio Art

T
Theatre

W
Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Writing

to clarify, brendan's list is majors and minors

Yes but having majors and minors with very few students in them costs the university more in professors salaries, opportunity cost in various office and classroom spaces on campus, and eventual alumni donations than they will ultimately receive in tuition from the students that choose to major in those fields (compared to those in more popular/lucrative fields). College is a business and the finances of this university are not limitless. Bolstering some of the great and popular tracks and programs to make them truly world class would help the university raise its popularity and status against our peer institutions far more than keeping/expanding with more good-to-mediocre programs.

I don't think I've ever read anything that says "I'm a Calloway student" without saying it directly than this right here

The admissions director Martha Allman is not racist. That’s just bullshit. She was the KA sweetheart in 1978 and was in a photo with them on the steps behind Davis House. The confederate flag was included because Robert E Lee founded the KA fraternity. WF students need to get over that.

"1-2-3, Robert E Lee!
3-2-1, The South shoulda won!"

is something I heard at KA circa 2008, FWIW.

College shouldn’t prepare you to do a job the previous generations say is important enough to pay someone to do.

College, especially elite four year institutions, should prepare people to understand the world they live in so they can figure out how to carve out a living for themselves by making the world better.

my dad talks of being blown away by the ongoing relevance of the Confederacy and the KA quad cosplay at Wake in the early 80s

The news of Hatch’s retirement stirs no emotion in me one way or the other. I guess I don’t really give a shit. He hired a bunch of useless administrators and grew the school bureaucracy in a dramatic way. It took him forever to do anything with Wellman. I guess overall he sucked. I won’t miss him. Bye.

College shouldn’t prepare you to do a job the previous generations say is important enough to pay someone to do.

College, especially elite four year institutions, should prepare people to understand the world they live in so they can figure out how to carve out a living for themselves by making the world better.

This

What I hear when Ph talks about what college should be:

I've always thought of college as a place that should prepare you for a job. So for me, it's not about what majors are popular. I have trouble envisioning how many of these majors help you prepare for jobs, unless you want REALLY specific jobs. It would be really interesting to see the stats / percentages on how many Wake grads are using their major in their current jobs.

This is a popular take, but a bad one in my opinion. A vocational school prepares you for a job. A college, especially a liberal arts college, teaches you how to think, how to write, how to argue persuasively, and how to live in the world. Counting the number of wake grads who "are using their major in their current jobs" would tell us precisely nothing about how much those people learned in the course of their major.

At my previous institution, the highest salaries right out of school were (unsurprisingly) commanded by majors in petroleum engineering. Ten years after graduation, English majors had caught up salary-wise and had significantly better career satisfaction. Very few of those English majors were "using their major" in the prepare-you-for-a-specific-job way you seem to be thinking about it in your post above -- they were succeeding in a variety of different fields using the methodological and skills-based training they received in humanities courses.

I've got more to say on this, of course, but I'm outta time.

Back