• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hatch retiring?

I know the “Hatch hates athletics” and “Hatch destroyed WF basketball” talking points are super popular but can anyone explain exactly how they think our sports team will improve under a new president? We have crazy facilities, a young and aggressive AD and two presumably excellent coaches for the b-ball/fball programs. On the surface it doesn’t seem like bringing in a new president changes that much — maybe more flexible admissions standards but I doubt we stray too far on that front.

Yes, there were rumors that he's been wanting to for a while. I heard the original plan was spring of 2020, but COVID changed all that.

I wonder if Michelle Gillespie would get a shot? Hands down one of my favorites from my time at Wake. Currently the Dean of the College.

I wonder if Michelle Gillespie would get a shot? Hands down one of my favorites from my time at Wake. Currently the Dean of the College.

I like her, too. But seems like a huge jump from dean to president.

Announcement just came across Twitter and my Email.

He gone.

I like her, too. But seems like a huge jump from dean to president.

Jim Ryan was the Dean of the Harvard Graduate School of Education before becoming UVA’s President. Previously a professor at the law school at UVA.

fuck that pretentious douche

-Stu O. Gotz

Last edited:
Does this mean Shaka will be the new President?

Shaka's wife...turns out RJ had bad info. Shaka wasn't demanding a tenured position for his wife, he was demanding Hatch's position for her. That's the reason Hatch wouldn't hire Shaka. Makes so much sense now!!!

Last edited:
I know the “Hatch hates athletics” and “Hatch destroyed WF basketball” talking points are super popular but can anyone explain exactly how they think our sports team will improve under a new president? We have crazy facilities, a young and aggressive AD and two presumably excellent coaches for the b-ball/fball programs. On the surface it doesn’t seem like bringing in a new president changes that much — maybe more flexible admissions standards but I doubt we stray too far on that front.

It means we probably won't we signing any stupid long contracts, holding onto a losing coach for far too long, or worrying about the potential of lost decade of basketball going forward.

I have it from a pretty reliable source at the med school that the Atrium-WF Baptist-WFUSOM merger (that went official within the past 72 hours) includes $5 billion (with a b) of Atrium funds going into the WFU endowment.

So this timing seems right. COVID going reasonably OK on the undergrad campus, prodigious increase in the endowment, Wellman nudged to the curb/replaced by a young, aggressive successor, both men's revenue sports successfully resuscitated (or in the process of same), consistent/high profile success in all nonrevenue sports. Given the COVID-related uncertainties regarding the economy and the contentious national/state political situation coming to head 3 weeks from today, I would certainly get out while things are in relatively good condition overall.

I hope the new president cares about Wake Forest sports.

Congrats to Hatch for finding that $75K/year sweet spot between Elon and Duke.

Yeah, I remember when Wake grads used to be excited at the idea of their kids wanting to go to Wake. The grads I know from the late 90's and early 2000's all seem to be just fine if their kids never want to go to MSD. Noted, the [Redacted]/Manning era may have helped solve that problem by making Wake basketball absolutely irrelevant during their formative years.

Jim Ryan was the Dean of the Harvard Graduate School of Education before becoming UVA’s President. Previously a professor at the law school at UVA.

The dean of a large college would definitely be a strong internal candidate. But typically the Provost would be an even stronger internal candidate. Seems like Wake would be in the market for a Provost from an Ivy/Stanford/Duke tier institution though.

Back