• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Basketball Season - "Experts" Think We Suck

Sometimes you can just tell by listening to someone talk that they really know basketball and how to coach it.

I'll be surprised if Forbes doesn't win big here after listening to that interview.

Starting to think that to the extent there is a schedule at all for this basketball season, it will simply be a "guideline". Schedules will be adjusted on the fly. Can see a scenario where the schedule says WF is to play Clemson on a Wednesday; but Clemson basketball gets shutdown ; so, just a few days before the WF/Clemson was to be played, the ACC advises that WF is now going to play UVA; who was supposed to play ND, but they are shutdown too. Going to be bizarre. WF will play some teams twice, maybe even three times, while not playing others at all. The ACC needs to fill programming spots on the ACCN and ESPN; so, they will do what it takes to get that done.

Last edited:
Starting to think that to the extent there is a schedule at all for this basketball season, it will simply be a "guideline". Schedules will be adjusted on the fly. Can see a scenario where the schedule says WF is to play Clemson on a Wednesday; but Clemson basketball gets shutdown ; so, just a few days before the WF/Clemson was to be played, the ACC advises that WF is now going to play UVA; who was supposed to play ND, but they are shutdown too. Going to be bizarre. WF will play some teams twice, maybe even three times, while not playing others at all. The ACC needs to fill programming spots on the ACCN and ESPN; so, they will do what it takes to get that done.

Pilchard, when in heavens name are we going to get a schedule????? The season gets underway in a month.

Pilchard, when in heavens name are we going to get a schedule????? The season gets underway in a month.

Driving me crazy. The networks that pay the big money to the ACC have to be satisfied; I'm sure ESPN and CBS are fighting over which Duke games they get. Then, the ACC has to space it out; so, there is wiggle room for likely COVID outbreaks, with other ACC games scheduled the same day that can fill programming gaps. Also, you have to coordinate everyone's 7 game OOC schedule which just got upended by the termination of the Orlando bubble plan. FWIW, Forbes talked about this in his most recent media chat: the ACC/Big 10 Showdown is on for 2020, but WF was the one ACC team left out (15 ACC Teams; 14 Big 10 teams). Also, it sounded like WF is planning on hosting each of the 7 OOC games (which includes the 4 team tournament). Guessing that WF OOC schedule will be ridiculously soft. It may appear as if WF is competing for the MEAC title.

A friend and I were talking this morning about how it should be infinitely easier to fill a BB schedule than one for FB on the fly. It's easy to envision Wake getting games with HPU, Elon, etc. solely because they are local and won't ask for too much. Some schools are better geographically situated for better games. UVA matching up with Richmond and VCU would be good viewing.

I agree with that. We will need to be flexible and thankfully we have plenty of programs within a short bus ride.

I wonder if the AD is considering inviting four more teams to the event with the Orlando plan out of the picture. Maybe generate some more revenue.

Know I'm late, but thanks for the vid, Les.

I could listen to Forbes all day.

What a night-and-day difference from the last 2 doofuses.

And I'm going to take this to mean that we should be getting a schedule on Friday...

You know this really puts the pressure on Forbes to start his tenure, I mean if we don't win this it would rival the start to the the Bzzz era by losing to what was it, Stetson?

Last edited:
2020-21 WF Basketball Season - "Experts" Think We Suck

Or Manning losing to Delaware State within the first 8 or so games.

I distinctly remember that game. They had a guard who went for like 30, and their big had like 10 blocks and 20 boards.

I distinctly remember that game. They had a guard who went for like 30, and their big had like 10 blocks and 20 boards.

Me too. I was sitting in the car at the beach while the wife was in Home Goods (I'd rather get run over by my car then go in there) shopping and listening to that game in disbelief.

I don't see how this puts any pressure on Forbes. We're supposed to suck this year. The non-conference schedule for most programs will be made up of games like these and matchups against local programs.

I think Forbes has been pretty clear in his desire to put together as easy of a schedule as he can this year, knowing that the roster isn't where he wants it to be AND we have a 20 game ACC schedule (in a 27 game season).

He wants to run up as many Ws as he can, but if we lose one of these games it isn't going to derail any momentum. It'll be more about how we're playing at the end of the season.

I don't see how this puts any pressure on Forbes. We're supposed to suck this year. The non-conference schedule for most programs will be made up of games like these and matchups against local programs.

I think Forbes has been pretty clear in his desire to put together as easy of a schedule as he can this year, knowing that the roster isn't where he wants it to be AND we have a 20 game ACC schedule (in a 27 game season).

He wants to run up as many Ws as he can, but if we lose one of these games it isn't going to derail any momentum. It'll be more about how we're playing at the end of the season.

Well, I was kidding in a way, but still it would not be a good look for us to lose that "tournament" on our home court against bottom barrel competition.

Me too. I was sitting in the car at the beach while the wife was in Home Goods (I'd rather get run over by my car then go in there) shopping and listening to that game in disbelief.

A couple of years ago I was with my wife's cart in Home Goods (she had wandered off somewhere in the store). Some guy who I didn't know from Adam, obviously reading my body language, walked by and said "Come on, man. At least look like you're having fun." I replied "It's hard, brother, it's hard." That was likely the best laugh either of us had that day.

A couple of years ago I was with my wife's cart in Home Goods (she had wandered off somewhere in the store). Some guy who I didn't know from Adam, obviously reading my body language, walked by and said "Come on, man. At least look like you're having fun." I replied "It's hard, brother, it's hard." That was likely the best laugh either of us had that day.

I guess faking a happy face in those places is our way of evening it up when they "fake it," am I right?:thumbsup:

Back