• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Basketball Season - "Experts" Think We Suck

I haven’t heard of a single player on that list. Just goes to show how thoroughly the past decade has ended my attention for anything ACC basketball related.

That pre-season list is pretty terrible. I expect that actual All-ACC teams to look much different.

Besides, Joe Girard, of course. That dude is gonna blow up this year.

I haven’t heard of a single player on that list. Just goes to show how thoroughly the past decade has ended my attention for anything ACC basketball related.

Same. I can't really judge that list by saying it is good or bad because I simply don't have any knowledge of those players.

I will judge the list of top-rated ACC performers. It sucks. Duke frosh Jalen Johnson is the only lock to be a top 10 NBA pick, and the ACC might have as few as 3 1st round draft picks (Johnson, Scottie Barnes and UNC's Caleb Love), which would be among the worst drafts for the conference in a long time.

Not sure where to post this. There was a really good John Collins piece on Sportscenter just now about his veteran outreach program. He’s a great representative of Wake.

Got to like Massoud putting up 30 in the scrimmage. He's has the potential to be a big time scorer. Hard to guard a 6-8 guy who can catch and shoot. Also, Neath with the 12 assists sounds promising. G

Not one mention of paint touches or getting to the free throw line. I don't know how to process..

Didn't see a thread to put this in so I'll just throw it here. Is anyone else concerned about the Gregg Marshall story from Wichita? Reminds me of Mike Rice at Rutgers. It's not pretty and I feel for the student athletes there. You have to assume Forbes was a witness to some of this behavior from Marshall and I would hope he would've had the courage to bring it to the attention of the athletic department. Keep in mind this is a guy that Forbes said he "owes everything to" when he was hired at Wake. Being an assistant during two different major scandals is concerning, but I understand as of now there is no reason to think Forbes is acting in any way other than perfectly responsible at Wake. The guys involved with the program that I know seem to love Forbes so hopefully my concern is misplaced.

Didn't see a thread to put this in so I'll just throw it here. Is anyone else concerned about the Gregg Marshall story from Wichita? Reminds me of Mike Rice at Rutgers. It's not pretty and I feel for the student athletes there. You have to assume Forbes was a witness to some of this behavior from Marshall and I would hope he would've had the courage to bring it to the attention of the athletic department. Keep in mind this is a guy that Forbes said he "owes everything to" when he was hired at Wake. Being an assistant during two different major scandals is concerning, but I understand as of now there is no reason to think Forbes is acting in any way other than perfectly responsible at Wake. The guys involved with the program that I know seem to love Forbes so hopefully my concern is misplaced.

Gregg Marshall discussed here:
https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/32611-Allegations-of-abuse-at-Witchita-State

ACC media pick WF to finish last in the ACC, and no Deacs are found on any of the pre-season all-conference lists: https://theacc.com/news/2020/11/10/virginia-named-2020-21-acc-mens-basketball-preseason-favorite.aspx

Predicted Order of Finish
School, Points
1. Virginia (97), 2214
2. Duke (34), 2146
3. Florida State (15), 1973
4. North Carolina (7), 1933
5. Louisville (2), 1693
6. Syracuse, 1234
7. Miami, 1223
8. NC State, 1149
9. Georgia Tech, 1147
10. Clemson, 1057
11. Virginia Tech, 794
12. Notre Dame, 769
13. Pitt, 635
14. Boston College, 404
15. Wake Forest, 229
First-place votes in parentheses; 155 total voters

Preseason All-ACC Team
First Team
Name, School, Points
Garrison Brooks, North Carolina, 137
Sam Hauser, Virginia, 89
Scottie Barnes, Florida State, 59
Jalen Johnson, Duke, 52
Aamir Simms, Clemson, 50
Chris Lykes, Miami, 50

Second Team
David Johnson, Louisville, 46
Jose Alvarado, Georgia Tech, 43
M.J. Walker, Florida State, 38
Kihei Clark, Virginia, 37
Wendell Moore Jr., Duke, 32

Preseason ACC Player of the Year
Name, School, Points
Garrison Brooks, North Carolina, 102
Sam Hauser, Virginia, 24
M.J. Walker, Florida State, 10
Wendell Moore Jr., Duke, 7
Aamir Simms, Clemson, 5
Matthew Hurt, Duke, 3
Chris Lykes, Miami, 3
Kihei Clark, Virginia, 1

Preseason ACC Freshman of the Year
Name, School, Points
Scottie Barnes, Florida State, 64
Jalen Johnson, Duke, 60
Caleb Love, North Carolina, 9
Day'Ron Sharpe, North Carolina, 6
DJ Steward, Duke, 4
Reece Beekman, Virginia, 3
Jeremy Roach, Duke, 3
RJ Davis, North Carolina, 3
Mark Williams, Duke, 2
Cam Hayes, NC State, 1

Man this is shaping up to be an underwhelming ACC season. Excited to see Forbes and company in action!

It's funny that this thread is subtitled - "Experts" Think We Suck... When in fact it could be "Everyone" Thinks We Suck.

And I don't blame them.

As an aside - 10 players listed for FOY... 8 of them are Duke/UNC/NSCU

Link to a 4 minute "insider" video summarizing the first scrimmage.

https://twitter.com/WakeMBB/status/1326306139688988673

We may not win a lot of games, but it will be easy to root for these players and coaches....

As I've posted before, I will be thrilled to see player and team development over the course of 3-4 months. I'm not fixated on W's and L's this year given the absolute gutting of this program.

Outside of John Collins, I can't think of anything that was developed the past 10+ years. And I'm not sure that wasn't just his raw talent developing.

It will be fun to see a team improve. I hope this will be the case.

As I've posted before, I will be thrilled to see player and team development over the course of 3-4 months. I'm not fixated on W's and L's this year given the absolute gutting of this program.

Outside of John Collins, I can't think of anything that was developed the past 10+ years. And I'm not sure that wasn't just his raw talent developing.

It will be fun to see a team improve. I hope this will be the case.

I agree. I think Danny gets too much credit for JC's development. You could see his talent as a freshman and it was a crime he didn't play more alongside Devin Thomas.

Back