• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Basketball Season - "Experts" Think We Suck

Didn't realize that DFL got us left out of the ACC-BIG Ten Challenge yet again. :(

Great to finally have a real coach.

Didn't realize that DFL got us left out of the ACC-BIG Ten Challenge yet again. :(

Great to finally have a real coach.

WF tied with UNC and Pitt for last in the ACC. Since UNC has never missed out on an ACC/Big 10 Challenge, while Pitt (once since they joined the ACC in 2013) and WF (3 times since the Challenge started in 1999) have, if every conference school was treated impartially, it would've been UNC's turn to sit out the Challenge this year. However, they are UNC, and the Challenge is played because ESPN pays big money to the conference to televise the games, and they want UNC in the event. So, WF sits out. The 3 ACC schools to have played in every Challenge are: Duke, UNC and FSU. Among ACC schools, only Duke and UVA have more Challenge wins than WF's 12, and only Duke has a better winning percentage than WF (the Deacs are 12-6 .667).

WF tied with UNC and Pitt for last in the ACC. Since UNC has never missed out on an ACC/Big 10 Challenge, while Pitt (once since they joined the ACC in 2013) and WF (3 times since the Challenge started in 1999) have, if every conference school was treated impartially, it would've been UNC's turn to sit out the Challenge this year. However, they are UNC, and the Challenge is played because ESPN pays big money to the conference to televise the games, and they want UNC in the event. So, WF sits out. The 3 ACC schools to have played in every Challenge are: Duke, UNC and FSU. Among ACC schools, only Duke and UVA have more Challenge wins than WF's 12, and only Duke has a better winning percentage than WF (the Deacs are 12-6 .667).

This is how little I cared about basketball last season, I had totally forgotten that UNC sucked so hard. Normally that is something I would cherish the memories of for quite some time.

Last edited:
This how little I cared about basketball last season, I had totally forgotten that UNC sucked so hard. Normally that is something I would cherish the memories of for quite some time.

Same. Seems like an eon ago.

Three games in three days should provide Forbes a lot of information about his team. I expect to see every scholarship player on the floor and for Forbes to make this a physically challenging experience.

Well, I was kidding in a way, but still it would not be a good look for us to lose that "tournament" on our home court against bottom barrel competition.

So should we not play it? Or play tourney teams and hope to win one? Play whomever and see what we have.

So should we not play it? Or play tourney teams and hope to win one? Play whomever and see what we have.

Less and shorter travel is better for the kids. Hope they took into account what the schools are doing to help protect their students against covid. After that take on anyone. I'm confident Forbes will have the team's attention and get them to give the appropriate effort. I did not have that confidence about either of the previous coaches. On occasion the team or individual players looked like they were invested in individual game or stretches of games.

Let's go!

UNC finished last ? What ? How did I not know that? My ten year old self would have been the most obnoxious kid in school because I would have mocked every Tarheel fan I could find(would not matter that Wake also sucked.). Seriously, Danny Manning and Jeff [Redacted] suck.

Or Manning losing to Delaware State within the first 8 or so games.
Was this the same game Manning called a T.O. with none left? All the precious memories run together for me.

Here is link to all of the reported college basketball "multi team events (MTE)": https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2020-21-events-schedule-10-07-2020/

The WF MTE event participants are:

WAKE FOREST’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Nov. 25-27
Teams: Wake Forest, Alabama State, Delaware State, Longwood

This MTE will open WF's season, and will tip off three weeks from tomorrow.

Some other MTEs involving ACC Teams:
SPACE COAST CLASSIC (Melbourne, Fla.)
Nov. 25-26
Teams: Clemson vs. Mississippi State; Purdue vs. Liberty

EMPIRE CLASSIC (Uncasville, Conn. – Mohegan Sun)
Nov. 25-26
Teams: Baylor, Arizona State, Villanova, Boston College

So far, no MTE announced for Florida State, Pitt, Virginia Tech or Notre Dame

NC STATE’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Nov. 25-27
Teams: NC State, Eastern Kentucky, North Florida, Charleston Southern

BUBBLEVILLE POD 1 (Uncasville, Conn. – Mohegan Sun)
Nov. 25-27
Teams: Virginia, Florida, Maine, TBD

GEORGIA TECH’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Nov. 25-27
Teams: Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Mercer
LOUISVILLE’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Nov. 25-Dec. 4
Teams: Louisville, Seton Hall, UNCG, Winthrop, Duquesne, Little Rock, Southern Illinois, Prairie View A&M

SYRACUSE’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Nov. 29-Dec. 1
Teams: Syracuse, Binghamton, Niagara

MAUI INVITATIONAL (Asheville, NC – Harrah’s Cherokee Center)
Nov. 30-Dec. 2
Teams: Texas vs. Davidson; Indiana vs. Providence; North Carolina vs. UNLV; Stanford vs. Alabama

CHAMPIONS CLASSIC
Dec. 1
Michigan State vs. Duke; Kansas vs. Kentucky (Didn't something similar involve these same team's last year?)

DUKE’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Dec. 4-6
Teams: Duke, Howard, Elon, Bellarmine

CBS SPORTS CLASSIC (Cleveland, Ohio)
Dec. 19
North Carolina vs. Ohio State; Kentucky vs. UCLA

Here is link to all of the reported college basketball "multi team events (MTE)": https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2020-21-events-schedule-10-07-2020/

The WF MTE event participants are:

WAKE FOREST’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Nov. 25-27
Teams: Wake Forest, Alabama State, Delaware State, Longwood

This MTE will open WF's season, and will tip off three weeks from tomorrow.

Some other MTEs involving ACC Teams:
SPACE COAST CLASSIC (Melbourne, Fla.)
Nov. 25-26
Teams: Clemson vs. Mississippi State; Purdue vs. Liberty

EMPIRE CLASSIC (Uncasville, Conn. – Mohegan Sun)
Nov. 25-26
Teams: Baylor, Arizona State, Villanova, Boston College

So far, no MTE announced for Florida State, Pitt, Virginia Tech or Notre Dame

NC STATE’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Nov. 25-27
Teams: NC State, Eastern Kentucky, North Florida, Charleston Southern

BUBBLEVILLE POD 1 (Uncasville, Conn. – Mohegan Sun)
Nov. 25-27
Teams: Virginia, Florida, Maine, TBD

GEORGIA TECH’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Nov. 25-27
Teams: Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Mercer
LOUISVILLE’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Nov. 25-Dec. 4
Teams: Louisville, Seton Hall, UNCG, Winthrop, Duquesne, Little Rock, Southern Illinois, Prairie View A&M

SYRACUSE’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Nov. 29-Dec. 1
Teams: Syracuse, Binghamton, Niagara

MAUI INVITATIONAL (Asheville, NC – Harrah’s Cherokee Center)
Nov. 30-Dec. 2
Teams: Texas vs. Davidson; Indiana vs. Providence; North Carolina vs. UNLV; Stanford vs. Alabama

CHAMPIONS CLASSIC
Dec. 1
Michigan State vs. Duke; Kansas vs. Kentucky (Didn't something similar involve these same team's last year?)

DUKE’S MULTI-TEAM EVENT
Dec. 4-6
Teams: Duke, Howard, Elon, Bellarmine

CBS SPORTS CLASSIC (Cleveland, Ohio)
Dec. 19
North Carolina vs. Ohio State; Kentucky vs. UCLA

VPI to play in a not-terrible MTE at the Mohegan Sun bubble.

https://roanoke.com/sports/local/vi...cle_b6290282-17a6-11eb-a82c-0f5a9527cc48.html

FWIW, the other three teams in the WF multi-team event were horrid last season (KP rank out of 353 teams):

Longwood -- #318 (14-18) -- played as bad a schedule as possible (#348 in schedule strength); they did not play a single Power 6 team last year.
Alabama State -- #332 (8-24) -- played 3 Power 6 teams losing to Tennessee by 35, K State by 45 and Oregon by 39
Delaware State -- #346 (6-26) -- played 2 Power teams losing to UGA by 34 and VA Tech by 36.

FWIW, as awful as Danny Manning's tenure was a WF, his teams never lost to a team rated 300 or lower. His worst two losses were to Houston Baptist #281 in 2017-8, and Delaware State #262 in 2014-5.

Like WF chances to get off to a good start in a few weeks!

Are we going to be able to watch any of the games in this MTE? I assume they'll be carried on ESPN3.

Yes, The ACC schedule is supposed to drop in the next week. Forbes has already said that all 7 of the OOC games will be at home. Fully expect the OOC competition to be in the range of 4 teams (Troy, Longwood, Bama State and Del State) already on the schedule. Would like to play Richmond this year as they are projected as a top 25 team, but seems like Forbes wants to rack up OOC wins and pump up team confidence, before heading into ACC play.

FWIW, if the corona-influenced ACC basketball schedule follows the same construct as the ACC football schedule (to screw WF), the ACC will find a way to play Duke, UNC and UVA twice (maybe even three times :cool:). Do think the ACC will make an effort to factor travel into the conference schedule; so, guessing that WF plays each of the NC schools twice and maybe VT as well..

Last edited:
Back