• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA at WF - Saturday October 17 - 4 pm ACCN

Yeah. But it's not wrong to want to be better. A 3 point half is a huge positive sign.

No doubt. However, the D made some adjustments at half time and gave up few points in the second half.

I doubt Wake practiced against a three QB offense this past week. Have to give the defense some credit for making changes at half.

Dunno what’s happening in this thread but came in to say Hell Yes. If someone could possibly explain to me why we don’t hand KW the ball more I would love to hear it otherwise I’ll see you beautiful MF’ers next week.

KWIII had 20+ carries and around 130 yards. Pretty good workload. I'm with the suggestion that he get the ball on pitches a few times a game.

Walker got 23 carries and CBS got 14 carries. That's a pretty good distribution. I'd like to see both more involved in the passing game. We only have one catch by a player with a carry. That's one catch by Walker. I can't imagine there are any other teams in that situation. We aren't throwing the ball to our backs or handing the ball off to our WRs.

Walker got 23 carries and CBS got 14 carries. That's a pretty good distribution. I'd like to see both more involved in the passing game. We only have one catch by a player with a carry. That's one catch by Walker. I can't imagine there are any other teams in that situation. We aren't throwing the ball to our backs or handing the ball off to our WRs.

I think the few passes to backs is a function of the RPO scheme. If the back isn't given the handoff, he blocks. Remember, the back is right next to the QB for the first seconds after the snap. No time for the back to run much of a route after that before the QB has to throw or run.

It's one of the few things I'm a purist about. UVA is just egregiously bad about it.

I'm going to agree with PH here... No way in hell does some fat dude wearing number 36 ever become a solid quarterback. And no way does a QB wearing 98 or 99 ever become a passing threat. It just won't happen unless you are wearing a leather helmet with no facemask

In an already bizarre year I kind of enjoy that extra twist of weirdness. Of course that’s easier to say because we won.

I might have missed it but has Bronco explained the Jersey numbers?

Traditionalist here. I like the structured number system too.
And I have a hard time with anyone who picks 0. Why????

I find it interesting that two of Wake's best players wear #9.

i have no real defense of hemphill except that it seems clear to me that talent is the primarily culprit on defense. there were some dumb plays for sure, but i think that’s unsurprising given some of the guys in. we are literally starting a true freshman walk-on.

I’m going to disagree with you here, with the exception if LB. We don’t have a LB that excels on space and pass coverage. I was excited about DJ Taylor coming back because I though he would be an upgrade at MLB, but he hasn’t beaten out Smenda. Smenda is great at inside run stopping, but his coverage and angles are bad when going to space.

Otherwise, I think the talent is close.

Our biggest issue is communication. I like what Nick Anderson brings to the table, but you can tell that his grasp of what needs to be communicated backfield wasn’t at the level of Masterson, especially the first half. I’m not sure if he settled in the second half, but it did not look as egregious to me. he does seem to be a better player physically than Masterson, which helps.

But what I see on defense isn’t as much a matter of talent, as it is a matter of an understanding of roles. We don’t have a good understanding of who has contain on outside runs, and are often confused about where we should line up until just before the ball is snapped. And this puts us half a step behind the play.

That could be an issue of communication from Hemphill to the defense, or an issue of on field communication and at the line playcalling. But we are missing responsibilities, either by an oversight on defense of design, or not understanding where our players are supposed to be. Hey

Btw, what’s the situation with Masterson? I may have missed it, but how bad is his injury and how long will he be out?

Btw, what’s the situation with Masterson? I may have missed it, but how bad is his injury and how long will he be out?

I haven’t heard anything official, but it looked bad (as was his reaction), and I thought the announcers mentioned the season last night (although they were terrible, and i put no stock into what they said)

BTW, I was wrong on my prediction of 2 trick plays foe UVa and none for us. Really, of of their playbook looked like "trick plays". And Clawson said shallow KO was planned.

Also thought we may see Armstrong if needded, but evidently he wasn't cleared.

Dunno what’s happening in this thread but came in to say Hell Yes. If someone could possibly explain to me why we don’t hand KW the ball more I would love to hear it otherwise I’ll see you beautiful MF’ers next week.

Generally I agree with need to get KW more touches, but I will say outside the long 75 yard run and 9 yard TD he averaged around 2 yards per carry on the other 20+ carries, while CBS Was over 4. He no doubt brings the big play ability you rarely see, so we need to get him all the touches we can but also curious why he is only getting 2 yards per carry on other 20? Is OL struggling early? Ds more geared to stop run when KWIII is out there?

I might have missed it but has Bronco explained the Jersey numbers?

They have a jersey draft every year. Before you can participate, you have to earn the right to chose a number. Stone didn't "earn" his number until a week before the season started his freshman year.

Back