• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Horror Movie Recommendations by Streaming Service

It’s one of the best films of all time. You should also check out the 1970’s Invasion of The Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland.

Pretty sure that one was the first time I saw boobs in a movie. That one is on Amazon Prime.

Ok, time for a top 10 horror movie list of all time. Yell at me and tell me I'm stupid and what I left out.

In no particular order

The Exorcist
Don't Look Back
The Fog
Halloween
Let the Right One In(if it can be classified as horror)
Get Out
It Follows
The Wicker Man(Original, probs honestly my favorite horror movie if not my fav movie)
Candyman
Behind the Mask(The Rise of Leslie Vernon)

Honorable Mentions
The Thing
The Vanishing(Original)
The Shining(prob should be in top 10)
28 Days Later
Rosemary's Baby
I should probably put a Korean/Japanese horror movie on here as well, but it's hard to choose between Audition/The Guest/Train to Busan/The Wailing and I'm a Eurocentric dipshit.

Have you seen Drag Me to Hell? That's one of my favorites.

Ok, time for a top 10 horror movie list of all time. Yell at me and tell me I'm stupid and what I left out.

In no particular order

The Exorcist
Don't Look Back
The Fog
Halloween
Get Out
It Follows
The Wicker Man(Original, probs honestly my favorite horror movie if not my fav movie)
Candyman

Honorable Mentions
The Thing
The Vanishing(Original)
28 Days Later
Rosemary's Baby
I should probably put a Korean/Japanese horror movie on here as well, but it's hard to choose between Audition/The Guest/Train to Busan/The Wailing and I'm a Eurocentric dipshit.

Senior year at Wake I did a directed study with Lynn Neal on Religion in Horror Film. My final project was a comparing the use of Religion in the two Wicker Man films. Loved that paper.

Senior year at Wake I did a directed study with Lynn Neal on Religion in Horror Film. My final project was a comparing the use of Religion in the two Wicker Man films. Loved that paper.

What was the theological context of my favorite moment in cinema history?

In no particular order

The Exorcist
Don't Look Back
The Fog
Halloween
Get Out
It Follows
Candyman

Honorable Mentions
The Thing
The Vanishing(Original)
28 Days Later
Rosemary's Baby

Great list...Pretty much covers all the greats. Do we count Jaws? If so, I'd have that in my top-10.

While cheesy, Scream(1996) was a somewhat original concept at the time and probably deserves a spot on a list somewhere. Hereditary and Goodnight Mommy also scary.

Great list...Pretty much covers all the greats. Do we count Jaws? If so, I'd have that in my top-10.

While cheesy, Scream(1996) was a somewhat original concept at the time and probably deserves a spot on a list somewhere. Hereditary and Goodnight Mommy also scary.

Goodnight Mommy is on tap for tonight.

I've forgot Tucker and Dale vs Evil. That movie is awesome.

aff5e78fc972baf50891ec795f9d4c58.jpg

aa06ca2827cf0edb1176c3d91f354e8a.jpg

I do love Frailty.

Man, Martyrs though. Have you actually rewatched that?

Frailty is excellent.

The movies I introduce to friends are typically Donnie Darko or Natural Born Killers. Although at this point, if someone hasn't seen either, they're most likely not my friend.

Just rewatched The Brood the other day and damn if that’s not a traumatic movie. The classroom murder scene is maybe the most unnerving horror scene ever IMO. I wonder how film code didn’t prevent them from shooting that.

Usually when children are filmed in a violent or traumatic scene, there are cuts between the violence and the children’s reaction, so that they don’t have to be filmed at the same time. I’m sure there are more exceptions to that rule that I’m not aware of, but...ugh I sure as fuck wouldn’t want my elementary age child acting in a scene like that.

I've actually never seen the Brood. I think I've watched pieces of it on TV. I'm putting it in the queue to watch over then next couple of weeks.

For nostalgic reasons, I'll add Creature From the Black Lagoon to the list.

My favorite uncle, who I idolized as a kid, showed me the Creature, Pet Cemetery, Halloween, Pumpkinhead and Jaws by the time I was 8. I'd crash over at his house and stay up late eating junk food watching those movies with my aunt and uncle. Would go home the next day and tell my folks we watched Goosebumps or something kid friendly. Kids will never forget moments when adults lets them sneak and do cool like shit like that.

Haven't seen The Omen (1976) mentioned yet, so I'll add that. That, Rosemary's Baby, and The Shining are a clear top 3 for me. I also love 28 days later. Never liked The Exorcist as much, mostly because the priest's faith crisis got too much air time in place of the mother dealing with her possessed child.

My list from teen to now (spitballing - no order):

Halloween
Friday the 13th
Scream
The Strangers - Still gives me the creeps!
Jaws - definitely if considered scary - never would have guessed that I would love surfing after that movie.
Cabin in the Woods
Tucker and Dale - awesome
Psycho
The Fly
The Thing - original
28 Days Later
Get Out
Alien - does this count?
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Ring
American Werewolf in London
Pet Semetary - and most of Stephen King's movies, IT, CUJO, but moreso out of my love of his books than cinematic staying power

Back