• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Horror Movie Recommendations by Streaming Service

For everybody watching horror films this month, here are my horror recommendations by streaming service:

Amazon Prime:
- The Wailing
- The Taking of Deborah Logan
- Oculus
- Frailty
- House of the Devil
- We Are Still Here
- Heriditary

Netflix:
- Session 9
- The Autopsy of Jane Doe - still available
- Oculus - no longer on Netflix
- Creep
- Veronica

HBO Max:
- The Brood
- Carnival of Souls
- Eyes Without A Face
- Lights Out

Hulu:
- Sinister - requires additional subscription
- The Bay - requires additional subscription
- Don’t Breathe
- It Follows
- The Last Exorcism
- Ouija - The Origin of Evil
- Don’t Be Afraid Of The Dark

I tried to jump on a few of these last night and found them not available with the basic hulu plan. I watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe though, good rec.

I like Emile Hirsch a lot and thought his performance was excellent. There was nothing particularly revelatory or inventive about the story or plot itself, but I really found the setting and filmmaking compelling. The close quarters of the house basement were very confining and intimidating. Good performances and a story interestingly told.

I think some of the genius of Don't Look Now is realized watching it as a double feature with Wicker Man, which is how it was originally theatrically debuted. That's a lot to take in in one sitting but pretty awesome.

Taking of Deborah Logan is pretty fun in the found film-ish genre. I thought it had an interesting idea but then kinda veered away from it. The idea of losing one's mental faculties from disease is, to me, a much more frightening concept than what ends up being the horror element of the film. Though the final act is pretty thrilling.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and rewatch Halloween 3 tonight. I love that movie.

Taking of Deborah Logan is pretty fun in the found film-ish genre. I thought it had an interesting idea but then kinda veered away from it. The idea of losing one's mental faculties from disease is, to me, a much more frightening concept than what ends up being the horror element of the film. Though the final act is pretty thrilling.

We watched this last night, it was my second time and the wife's first time seeing it. I had forgotten most of the plot so it still felt new to me. It was definitely not your average possession movie. The performance from the actress playing Deborah really made the movie, she was great. The wife is TERRIFIED of degenerative diseases so it got her pretty good. An origin story spin off set in the past with Desjardins would be a pretty cool concept, I'm surprised in this day and age that they didn't explore that idea.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and rewatch Halloween 3 tonight. I love that movie.

How has this developed a cult following over the years? At the time, it was a big disappointment because people weren't expecting it not to have Michael Myers. Something about masks and witches or some crap. I saw it a few years ago and thought not only did it not have Michael Myers, but it sucked too. There's an appeal to 80s schlock, though, I guess.

Speaking of which, I was just watching Return of the Living Dead Pt. 2 last night. Not the original, but Part 2. A lot of 80s schlock in that one, but IMO it is as watchable as the first one. Not that that is saying much.

I See YOU was definitely creepy! Especially when you hear the story of some guy living in a closet of a Florida family for weeks.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...cle_30222cdc-0396-11eb-9efd-fbee82255ebc.html

We watched Autopsy of Jane Doe, started off great, but just lost "something" the last 15 mins or so. Loved Emile Hirsch in it.

House of the Devil is starting in 15.
There are 3 types of plots I don't like in movies: ghosts, devil possession, and native american mystical shit. I guess it's that I don't believe in them (while so many people do) and I'm trying get into something I think doesn't exist. But I can get into zombie / vampire / monster stuff since I know they don't exist and I can just enjoy it. I loved Autopsy of Jane Doe then it start to off the rail for me for the mentioned reasons. It started so promising.

Somehow, even as a devout horror aficionado, I had never seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre before last night. Holy Shit, what a movie.

There are 3 types of plots I don't like in movies: ghosts, devil possession, and native american mystical shit. I guess it's that I don't believe in them (while so many people do) and I'm trying get into something I think doesn't exist. But I can get into zombie / vampire / monster stuff since I

That is almost the opposite of my preferences - I avoid almost all zombie and vampire films unless they have a unique hook that really interests me. I tend to prefer the cosmic horror/existential dread films or supernatural horror. I’m really picky either way, most nights that I set out to watch a horror film I end up searching for 30 minutes and not finding anything.

Last edited:
One I always forget about but am obsessed with is Wolf Creek

Somehow, even as a devout horror aficionado, I had never seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre before last night. Holy Shit, what a movie.

That movie fucked me up more than any other on first viewing. I was a teenager and just not prepared. Felt like a real found footage snuff film to me.

Second was the first nightmare on elm street which I watched when I was way too young and just ruined me for a while. I kept having Freddy dreams and was legit afraid to go to sleep.

Winchester was pretty solid. I prefer that kind of horror/thriller opposed to shit like the HOuse of the Witch. God that sucked.

I thought The Woman (2011) was really well done. Amazon Prime

Oh shit, I haven’t thought about that movie in a while. It’s crazy! Jack Ketchum stories are brutal. Another really well done Jack Ketchum film adaptation is “The Girl Next Door”(2007), but it’s...not a fun movie.

If anyone is interested in a cheesy horror movie filmed locally, I’d like to suggest The Dark Power. IIRC, it’s filmed in Wilkes County.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228183/

Phil Smoot’s other stupid horror move, Alien Outlaw even has a shot of downtown Winston and the old Wachovia building (Winston Tower).

Back