Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728 LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 543

Thread: VT @ WF — Saturday 3:30 RSN

  1. #521
    Quote Originally Posted by saltydeac View Post
    I think anytime a team has 2 missed FGs (granted one was 50+ but just wide and had the distance) and 3 INTs with 2 of them in the redzone you consider that shooting yourself in the foot especially when you outgained the other team by 100+ yards. Yes it may have been due to some scheming by our D knowing we would rather risk Hooker passing mistakes vs. being run over, but the reality is even a poor QB should avoid 3 ints in any game especially when on 2 occasions you had points to be had if you just make the conservative pass and don't try to go deep down field. Poor decision making by Hooker and will be interesting to see if they give another QB snaps going forward who is a more accurate passer otherwise a lot of teams will follow our formula and make Hooker beat them in the redzone with his arm.
    Well sure, missing 2 FG's and throwing 3 INT's makes a big difference. However, I think it's not giving our guys enough credit to say that's why Va. Tech lost. It'd be different if both FG's missed was from inside 40 yards or all 3 INT's came in the red zone, but we really played well on both lines of scrimmage and despite the stats, controlled most of the game. When got out to a 10-0, they came back, but we responded to lead by 7 at half and then I though it was really important that we got points to start the 2nd half. We controlled the bulk of the game and it wasn't a situation where Va. Tech controlled things and then made mistakes at the worst times. I didn't see any of the Rutgers v. Michigan State game, but Michigan State committed 7 turnovers, that's shooting yourself in the foot, in fact that's blowing your foot right off. The last INT Hooker threw wasn't meaningful anyway, we had them in an almost impossible position, needing to go 98 yards with no timeouts and little time left. Yeah, we got some breaks, but our team played a really good all around game and that shouldn't be overlooked by saying, "well the Hokies beat themselves."

    As far as Hooker not throwing accurately, even though we were focusing on stopping their running game, we were covering their receivers pretty well too. Several times Hooker was having to throw to guys that were well covered. He wasn't missing guys that didn't have a defender within 20 yards of them.
    Last edited by liveanddiedeac; 10-26-2020 at 02:38 PM.
    boorish ruffian

  2. #522
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekin View Post
    That's a great photo! Chin bandaged up, blood on his jersey and the whole team surrounding him celebrating.
    He should frame that one to show to his kids and grandkids someday.
    That’s even the kind of photo that shows up in the first few pages of SI, which I think is called “Leading Off.” It shows the essence of team & sport in one shot.

  3. #523
    My question is about the tickets sold for the game. How did so many VATech fans get those few tickets that were sold.
    I had hokies all around me, and I was on the 50 yard line.

  4. #524
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    116,469
    LOL. Do we really have to ask how VT fans "get" tickets?

  5. #525
    Quote Originally Posted by DownEastDeac View Post
    Liberty just outside the polls this week at #26. Will be interesting to see how they match up against VT when they play next month.
    Aren't the Deacs scheduled for a trip to Lynchburg in the next year or two?
    If they lose to Liberty, Fuente's seat is going to get scorching hot. I am not so sure they beat Louisville this week.

  6. #526
    Very WF to have our best win against a no longer ranked team and same for one of our losses

  7. #527
    Conor was kind enough to slow this down and tweet it out. I'm sure there is a better 6-yard run out there somewhere; I just don't recall seeing it:


  8. #528
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    LOL. Do we really have to ask how VT fans "get" tickets?
    Any elaboration? Sorry, slow this morning.

  9. #529
    In 06 they counterfeited tickets in the student section to get into the game

  10. #530
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    Conor was kind enough to slow this down and tweet it out. I'm sure there is a better 6-yard run out there somewhere; I just don't recall seeing it:

    Watch #23 Brandon Chapman. He never quits on his block, allowing Walker to turn around and get his second push toward the goal line.
    Last edited by BlackjackMc; 10-27-2020 at 01:49 PM.

  11. #531
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    116,469
    Throw a spotlight on Chapman and put this on in the background.

  12. #532
    Quote Originally Posted by RVADeac View Post
    If they lose to Liberty, Fuente's seat is going to get scorching hot. I am not so sure they beat Louisville this week.
    Fuente is safe. In a Wellman-like move, they extended his contract in 2017. He's now good through 2023. VPI does not have the cash to pay 2 coaches.

  13. #533
    I'll go ahead and say it, VT is a dirty program. Always has been. From spearing Kevin Harris and giving him a concussion to intentionally landing on Sage's upper arm, they are taught and encouraged to play this way. Why I was always sick of hearing Beamer and Foster lauded by the press, esp ESPN. They grab face masks in scums where they can't be caught by refs. (Did it twice vs us). Oh, and the classic stealing a TO with a fake injury, VT invented it! I could go on...

  14. #534
    Quote Originally Posted by tagsfan View Post
    Fuente is safe. In a Wellman-like move, they extended his contract in 2017. He's now good through 2023. VPI does not have the cash to pay 2 coaches.
    They are stuck with a guy who almost left them high and dry this offseason. You're right about not having the money. They think their problems start with a lack of investment in football from the school, but it's also from a lack of participation from fans. For having a football crazy fanbase, they have historically struggled to get them to come off the dollars and donate.

  15. #535
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackMc View Post
    Watch #23 Brandon Chapman. He never quits on his block, allowing Walker to turn around and get his second push toward the goal line.
    I went back and watched this a few times. Chapman came across from the left side, got on his man and ended up blocking him (and another) to the right side behind the line of scrimmage. Great block.

  16. #536
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekin View Post
    I went back and watched this a few times. Chapman came across from the left side, got on his man and ended up blocking him (and another) to the right side behind the line of scrimmage. Great block.
    Also Zach Tom somehow ended up almost directly behind KWIII on the final push into the endzone.

  17. #537
    Who knew - this season was the first time Wake beat VT and UVA in the same year since 1983.

    https://roanoke.com/sports/college-n...6d8500e03.html

    The VT coach that year was Bill Dooley, a couple of years before he came to Wake.

  18. #538
    That was also the last year we played them both in the same year according to the Game Notes.
    Hungry

  19. #539
    Quote Originally Posted by wfunme View Post
    My question is about the tickets sold for the game. How did so many VATech fans get those few tickets that were sold.
    I had hokies all around me, and I was on the 50 yard line.
    I think all the Hokies was directly attributable to a late decision to ban our students from the game. That opened up 750 seats right there, and I dont get the sense that Wake is turning away anyone from attending in person due to lack of available seats.

  20. #540
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU1977 View Post
    I think all the Hokies was directly attributable to a late decision to ban our students from the game. That opened up 750 seats right there, and I dont get the sense that Wake is turning away anyone from attending in person due to lack of available seats.
    The ticket office called me thursday wanting to sell me tickets to the game. It makes sense that the student tickets were the ones gobbled up by VT fans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •