• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VT @ WF — Saturday 3:30 RSN

Pilchard

Reaction score
The Hokies have played 4 games:

September 26 NC State:

VT ran for 314 yards 7.7 ypc

NC State's rush defense against its other opponents:

WF: 149 yards 3.0 ypc

Pitt: 92 yards 2.5 ypc

UVA: 82 yards 2.8 ypc

Duke: 129 yards 3.1 ypc

October 3 Duke:

VT ran for 324 yards 6.5 ypc

Duke's rush defense against other opponents:

ND 178 yards 4.2 ypc

BC 84 yards 2.0 ypc

UVA 188 yards 5.1 ypc

Cuse 28 yards 1.2 ypc

NC State 118 yards 3.1 ypc

October 10 UNC

VT ran for 260 yards 5.4 ypc

UNC's rush defense against other opponents:

Cuse: 68 yards 1.9 ypc

BC: 40 yards 2.1 ypc

FSU: 241 yards 6.7 ypc

October 17 BC:

VT rushed for 350 yards 8.5 ypc against BC

BC's rush defense against other opponents:

Duke: 134 yards 4.6 ypc

TX State: 128 yards 3.2 ypc

UNC: 176 yards 4.5 ypc

Pitt: 98 yards 2.5 ypc

On the season, VT is averaging 312 yards per game and 6.9 ypc, against defenses that are giving up less than 120 rushing yards a game against everyone else. While it appears that WF's defense has improved slightly with the extended break, VT's rushing offense brings it to another level with Khalil Herbert (9.7 ypc - he should be on the short list for the Heisman) and dual threat QB Hendon Hooker (7.4 ypc). The good news is that VT's defense has struggled this year, allowing 31 points per game and 6.4 yards per play, but the idea of the WF rush defense, which is arguably the weakest of any of VT's opponents, against the VT rush offense looks really bad -- on paper.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not feeling very good about this game. We just ever seem to match up well with Va. Tech, except when we both sucked and won 6-3. I thought we took some positive steps against UVa, but I'm just not liking this matchup. Hope I'm wrong. Brutal schedule this year really, not an excuse, just a fact.

If we hold them under 40 I'll be pretty happy, but yeah this seems like a bad matchup for Wake.

I don't expect VPI to go over 60 unless it's a shootout. If they get a big lead, Fuente will get the backup QBs in there fairly quickly.

Looks like they are no. 2 nationally in rushing and we are 62nd at rush defense. Big yikes.

It could be a shootout. Clawson should plan for it to be a shootout.

In all seriousness, I'm bummed we aren't getting the chance to witness what Jamie Newman could do with that team.

Wake may need all the D-line people Clawson has deemed "playable."

Would Wake use a somewhat gimmicky defense with five D-line guys and dare the QB's to throw against a small secondary?

Wake may need all the D-line people Clawson has deemed "playable."

Would Wake use a somewhat gimmicky defense with five D-line guys and dare the QB's to throw against a small secondary?

WF can either put the corners on island and bring everyone but the deep safety close to the line of scrimmage (but Hooker can throw the ball, and Herbert has breakaway speed; so, against that D, if WF doesn't make the tackle within a couple of yards of the LOS, he is gone); or

WF can play a soft zone with everyone facing the backfield and hope to prevent the long gains, forcing VT to execute long multiple play drives to score (that scheme wears down a defense and is frustrating as VT gets 5 yards plus on essentially every rushing play).

It's just a tough matchup as WF doesn't have the LB speed to keep up with Herbert and Hooker once they break past the line of scrimmage.

Hopefully Grier and Masterson are back.

Only chance is to play a 4-4 with a spy on Hooker and as coach Bill Yoast said "BLITZ ALL NIGHT". Hope for a couple of turnovers and maybe, just maybe we can keep it tight going into the 4th.

Back