• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VT @ WF — Saturday 3:30 RSN

In recent past seasons, Clawson's D has been pretty good vs the run. This year we are vulnerable everywhere. Our best hope is to cause some mistakes, get TOs, and force FG attempts inside the red zone. They will have a ton of yards anyway.

Jeez, no reason to be so doom and gloom. VT is not a powerhouse this year. They barely beat a bad Duke team and were pretty handily beaten by a UNC that is overrated. They've played 2 mid-tier and 2 bottom-tier ACC teams.

In recent past seasons, Clawson's D has been pretty good vs the run. This year we are vulnerable everywhere. Our best hope is to cause some mistakes, get TOs, and force FG attempts inside the red zone. They will have a ton of yards anyway.

I feel like we don't have much of a choice at this point except to adopt the "bent but don't break defense." Seemed like we implemented that strategy against UVA more often than not. Kept them in front of us and made them drive the length of the field on 10+ play drives to reach the endzone. We gave up a lot of yards on the day, but also held them to 4 FG attempts and a 4th and goal stop at the end of the game. I'm just of the mindset that the longer you make the opposing offense drive the length of the field, they will screw up a play based on sheer probability. And that one screw up is all it takes for the defense to get a stop.

Jeez, no reason to be so doom and gloom. VT is not a powerhouse this year. They barely beat a bad Duke team and were pretty handily beaten by a UNC that is overrated. They've played 2 mid-tier and 2 bottom-tier ACC teams.

Keep in mind that VT had 15-17 kids in quarantine for their first 2 games.

I think this is our second toughest game of the year. Granted, a HUGE drop off from the toughest, Clemson.

Clemson

2- VPI
3- ND
4- UM
5- UNC

6-10- everyone else
11- Campbell

Last edited:
Virginia Tech: not that good!

Deacs: not that good!

tune in Saturday to find out what happens!

We've beaten them exactly one time since they joined the league (thank god for that 6-3 OT thriller). Saturday will extend the misery.

Keep in mind that VT had 15-17 kids in quarantine for their first 2 games.

And their DC. The secondary was decimated and a walk-on was starting for a couple of games. They had their best DB opt out, a couple of injuries, one felony arrest suspension (still in place), and some apparent COVID absences.

did we ever get an explanation as to why Notre Dame did not have to play down a bunch of players like VT?

did we ever get an explanation as to why Notre Dame did not have to play down a bunch of players like VT?

They were afraid of our Defense of course!

I'm not all that upset about it. I think we would've stood zero shot at beating them at the time. Things can get weird with late season games. I don't mind playing them in December now.

Wake needs to stay balanced on offense to keep the VaTech defense off balance. CBS and KWIII need to get enough yards on the ground to make the safeties cheat up so Hartman has room to throw behind them. Or, if the safties stay back, the runners need to get yards.

I think Hartman will have to rely more on the short game in passing attempts.

My local sports radio station had the voice of the Hokies, John Laser on yesterday. He said he felt as if Wake's offense is more efficient under Hartman versus Newman. He touched on the fact that the Hokies need to be focused on trying to slow our offense down and watch out for the big play. They are getting a lot of their defensive starters back, but said many are either playing out of position due to numbers or simply not in game shape yet. On the flip side, he went on and on about how bad our defense is and insinuated that he cant see how they lose this game.

My local sports radio station had the voice of the Hokies, John Laser on yesterday. He said he felt as if Wake's offense is more efficient under Hartman versus Newman. He touched on the fact that the Hokies need to be focused on trying to slow our offense down and watch out for the big play. They are getting a lot of their defensive starters back, but said many are either playing out of position due to numbers or simply not in game shape yet. On the flip side, he went on and on about how bad our defense is and insinuated that he cant see how they lose this game.

Hard to disagree. Our defense and offense will have to play at a level we haven't yet this year to have a chance.

Back