• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Tunnels Voter Suppression Thread - Were You Able to Vote ?

Who is arguing that early voting is suppressing the vote? I am reading that voters are saying that there aren't enough polling places in a lot of districts causing longer transportation times and longer lines at certain times of day but hey man everyone just needs to google it I guess...my bad they are just whining :noidea:

Post here to share your harrowing voting experience. This might include having to put the ballot inside of two different envelopes in the proper sequence. Determining whether you're putting the ballot in an actual BOE ballot box instead of an Amazon box sitting on a street corner, waiting in line for 45 minutes to early vote, observing a Covidiot with his mask pulled below his nose for five seconds, or pushing yourself to the brink by waiting until November 3 to cast your ballot at your regular precinct.

I early voted yesterday in Charlotte. Got in line, voted. NO IRREGULARITIES ! I went at 3;55 PM and the whole process took 20 minutes.

LOL

Seems like a lot of posters here believe police chiefs fearing armed men at polling places, and voters raising concerns about opportunities to vote, are either :

1) Liars
2) Lazy complainers
3) fake news

fascinating

National election day should be a federal holiday.

How would this help this issue? People who can't vote early for a variety of reasons enumerated above aren't working for companies who are going to respect a federal holiday, and even if they do, they're hourly and not getting the day off paid. It's like saying Presidents Day will give Joe Plumber a well-deserved paid day off.

How would this help this issue? People who can't vote early for a variety of reasons enumerated above aren't working for companies who are going to respect a federal holiday, and even if they do, they're hourly and not getting the day off paid. It's like saying Presidents Day will give Joe Plumber a well-deserved paid day off.

Agree, I tried to edit "federal" out and replace with national, but there was no text to edit.

No, that's not my point.

They can pick a window (15 min is laughable to get across town, vote, get back to work in some places) on the days leading up, but in some districts they have reduced the number of days they have to choose from, thus limiting voting opportunity. If days were added to early voting and more polling places were opened, it would increase opportunity for some voters with tighter time restrictions to vote. I can't see the downside to that. :noidea:

What is your argument, that this is all bullshit whining?

I agree that there needs to be more early voting. But I truly believe that Mecklenburg County residents who find themselves standing in line for 3 hours on Election Day have themselves to blame, as there are 33 locations all over the county, open all day from now until Election Day. And at least one of those locations is next to the central bus station and could have had 40 people show up at the exact same time as me and we STILL wouldn't have waited. They actually asked us to post about it on social media, because they are NEVER busy.

Seems like a lot of posters here believe police chiefs fearing armed men at polling places, and voters raising concerns about opportunities to vote, are either :

1) Liars
2) Lazy complainers
3) fake news

fascinating

This is partly the result of making the case for voter suppression through a series of anecdotes about how long it takes to vote. It would be nice to have some data showing trends over time and/or space.

sure, but some people who have a difficult time would have an easier time

how so? I promise I'm not being intentionally dense here. Someone please give me the example of the reasonably common voter whose personal situation will make it easier for him/her to vote on Election Day vs going at a time of their own choosing in the next 2 weeks.

If someone is consumed with child care: why won't that be the case on 11/3?
If someone's work won't pay them for time off: why won't that matter on 11/3?
If someone doesn't have transportation to get to a polling station: why won't that matter on 11/3?

And if you're afraid of a MAGA crowd - the Spectrum Center is absolutely the best place to go. There was not a soul outside even handing out fliers.

how so? I promise I'm not being intentionally dense here. Someone please give me the example of the reasonably common voter whose personal situation will make it easier for him/her to vote on Election Day vs going at a time of their own choosing in the next 2 weeks.

If someone is consumed with child care: why won't that be the case on 11/3?
If someone's work won't pay them for time off: why won't that matter on 11/3?
If someone doesn't have transportation to get to a polling station: why won't that matter on 11/3?

And if you're afraid of a MAGA crowd - the Spectrum Center is absolutely the best place to go. There was not a soul outside even handing out fliers.

You serious Clark? When there is a national holiday adults can each take the time to go vote while the others watch the kids.

They can carpool when their family members are also on a holiday day, or borrow the car, or take extra time for public trans or walking.

Require employers who are open on national holidays to permit workers to go vote and then give them an official receipt they can present to their employer when they return.

perhaps there's a market for a crowdsourced google app that provided real time wait line info.

You serious Clark? When there is a national holiday adults can each take the time to go vote while the others watch the kids.

They can carpool when their family members are also on a holiday day, or borrow the car, or take extra time for public trans or walking.

Require employers who are open on national holidays to permit workers to go vote and then give them an official receipt they can present to their employer when they return.

Couldn't we just pass the last thing? A law requiring employers to allow employees 2 hours to go vote at any time in the early voting period or on Election day? Not paid time, but you can't fire someone for going to vote if they bring back the receipt? That does seem like a fair idea.

The first time I voted was last Thursday. We had to go at lunchtime since its the only time my wife can get off work and I didn't want to have to handle all our kids by myself so she could go in the evening - ended up waiting 40 minutes even though the app showed no wait when we left the house. To my surprise everyone was masked correctly except the one poll worker designated to handle the disabled vote from car folks. She would approach the vehicle and immediately pull down her mask. I said something to her when she passed by and she responded that she can't talk with a mask covering her mouth. :dumb:

Went to a different location closer to my house this morning and was in and out in under 15 minutes. Gonna try the downtown location later this week.

not everybody lives with their face buried in a phone looking at apps. Voting is sacrosanct, and while it should keep up with the times to a certain degree it isn't and shouldn't be even somewhat dependent on an app or a goggle search. I appreciate how easy your voting experience was but I think the point here is that the least privileged among have as few obstacles as possible to voting. Busy lives and hard economic times for large swaths of voters can be overcome with minimal change and the desire to make it easier for them, which is non-existent in many places who have an interest in low turnout. Is this even news?

Couldn't we just pass the last thing? A law requiring employers to allow employees 2 hours to go vote at any time in the early voting period or on Election day? Not paid time, but you can't fire someone for going to vote if they bring back the receipt? That does seem like a fair idea.

Agreed. If only our politicians could agree on smart, simple solutions to big problems. Seems there is one team that is not interested at all in removing obstacles for shift workers....

Back