• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman NFL

Yeah, Surratt could easily bounce back up to where he was just by reminding people of his impressive talents at his pro day. I would think he'd be fine.

Sure, it would help a bit. I think his combine 40 could be big. What is his expected 40?

Do you know something we don’t? Walker tweeted that he will be back.

Just read the tea leaves actually that were out there plain as day to me:

1] opted out of playing before the Louisville game after having awesome numbers, even though he was not hurt & supposedly not sick with Covid. If that is a player who has played 3 years, that is usually a sign of somebody opting for the NFL draft [Boogie]. But somebody with fewer years, a transfer to a higher ranked school
2] breakout season in sophomore year and is from Memphis, TN area & wanted to play in SEC but got no offers. Came to us after decommitting from Kent St. I can see an Ole Miss or UT in his future [maybe Arkansas because that is also close to home and has a good offense]
3] new NCAA transfer rules make it very easy to transfer now so lower teams on the pecking order will lose players who want to move up the ladder. Can now transfer once without having to sit out.

As Clawson often says: Next Man Up! We have really good RB's

Panthers and Dolphins staffs are coaching in the Senior Bowl. The Panthers are looking for a QB of the future.

Panthers and Dolphins staffs are coaching in the Senior Bowl. The Panthers are looking for a QB of the future.

The problem you run into at 8 is if both NYJ and Atl take QBs, presumably Fields and Wilson. Then Det may beat you to Lance.

The problem you run into at 8 is if both NYJ and Atl take QBs, presumably Fields and Wilson. Then Det may beat you to Lance.

This is the Newman thread.

Boogie, Newman, and Sage were invited to the NFL Combine.

Workouts will be on pro days and interviews and psychological testing will be virtual. Limited medical exams.

From what I've been reading, Basham could sneak into the late 1st and won't last long on day 2. Surratt and Newman are looking at the middle of day 3, and neither had good Senior Bowl week reviews, although Newman did greatly enhance Richie Grant's draft prospects. Surratt could really use a good 40 time today because the main knock on him at the SB was he couldn't get any separation.

Sage Surratt will be a productive NFL player. If he is a late-round pick, some NFL team will get a bargain.

In 2019, WF was 7-1 heading into VT, and Surratt was essentially uncoverable. WF led into the 3rd quarter in Blacksburg and Surratt had two TDs; the VT secondary that day has a consensus 2021 1st round CB Caleb Farley. Surratt then separated his shoulder, and the WF offense went into the tank after that. Realize that there are many productive college players, but their talent doesn't translate at the NFL level. Don't see Surratt as one of those guys.

Last edited:
From what I've been reading, Basham could sneak into the late 1st and won't last long on day 2. Surratt and Newman are looking at the middle of day 3, and neither had good Senior Bowl week reviews, although Newman did greatly enhance Richie Grant's draft prospects. Surratt could really use a good 40 time today because the main knock on him at the SB was he couldn't get any separation.

And the numerous times he got walked from behind (albeit, he had already gained about 40 yards by the time he caught the ball).

I've seen a great comparison of JJ Arcega-Whiteside, although I would say Surratt is more physical.

hasn't Boogie pretty much always been projected as a first?

Not saying a good 40 time won't help, but I can't imagine scouts put much stock in 40 times at pro days. They are almost always faster than the standardized ones at the combine in Indy. Granted these pro days are all scouts have to go on this year, of course.

Sage Surratt will be a productive NFL player. If he is a late-round pick, some NFL team will get a bargain.

In 2019, WF was 7-1 heading into VT, and Surratt was essentially uncoverable. WF led into the 3rd quarter in Blacksburg and Surratt had two TDs; the VT secondary that day has a consensus 2021 1st round CB Caleb Farley. Surratt then separated his shoulder, and the WF offense went into the tank after that. Realize that there are many productive college players, but their talent doesn't translate at the NFL level. Don't see Surratt as one of those guys.

I get the Surratt production, but most draft sites have him as a 5th round grade. I've been eyeing him for my Ravens in that round because he has good size, blocks well and is good in contested situations. Is he more effective against zone rather than man? If so, the Ravens see more zone than man because Lamar outside of the pocket with heads turned downfield is a scary proposition.

Surratt has otherworldly body control, but is slow. I think both he and Newman would have benefited from another year of tape (Surratt more than Newman, because I honestly don't think Newman ever had a chance at being more than a backup). I completely understand sitting out due to COVID, but it may have cost Surratt money. If he had put up 70-80 catches for 1100 in 9 games- something that was definitely in reach for him, his college production may have bumped him up a round or 2.

Surratt has otherworldly body control, but is slow. I think both he and Newman would have benefited from another year of tape (Surratt more than Newman, because I honestly don't think Newman ever had a chance at being more than a backup). I completely understand sitting out due to COVID, but it may have cost Surratt money. If he had put up 70-80 catches for 1100 in 9 games- something that was definitely in reach for him, his college production may have bumped him up a round or 2.

If you're not Chase or Farley and you sat out this year, it really does seem like your draft stock went down. Out of sight, out of mind. But regardless of sitting out, running a 4.6 would put you off till day 3 anyway.

Back