• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman NFL

Why has Boogie apparantly dropped out of being taken in the 1st round ?

Boogie dropped out of the first round in a lot of mocks around the time of the Senior Bowl - the general consensus seems to be that Boogie will operate as the Closed End with the ability to shift inside in passing situations in the NFL and that position simply isn't as coveted as your Open Ends. Basically, Boogie is seen as a DE who will have his hand on the ground every play rather than a DE who could rush or drop into coverage out of a two point stance.

Draft analysts love the quick-twitch of the other DE prospects, if I had to give one main reason.

Boogie dropped out of the first round in a lot of mocks around the time of the Senior Bowl - the general consensus seems to be that Boogie will operate as the Closed End with the ability to shift inside in passing situations in the NFL and that position simply isn't as coveted as your Open Ends. Basically, Boogie is seen as a DE who will have his hand on the ground every play rather than a DE who could rush or drop into coverage out of a two point stance.

Agreed. I don't think teams who run a base 3-4 are going to look closely at him, and he'll go in the 35-45 range.

Keep hearing Newman's name as a possible 3rd or 4th round option. That seems in conflict with prevailing opinion here. QBs are at such a premium right now that it seems like QBs are overvalued throughout the draft. As an example, would be willing to bet that in retrospect Kyle Pitts will have a far more productive/valuable career than all, but maybe one QB in the draft, but 3, 4 or even 5 QBs could get drafted before Pitts.

Keep hearing Newman's name as a possible 3rd or 4th round option. That seems in conflict with prevailing opinion here. QBs are at such a premium right now that it seems like QBs are overvalued throughout the draft. As an example, would be willing to bet that in retrospect Kyle Pitts will have a far more productive/valuable career than all, but maybe one QB in the draft, but 3, 4 or even 5 QBs could get drafted before Pitts.

I saw every one of Kyle Pitt’s plays live and if the Jags didn’t have the #1 pick my strong preference would be to take him at 2.

Quarterbacks and wide receivers will make up half the first round. Boogie plays defense. That is devalued currently in the NFL. 3-4 teams haven't seen him do much out of stand-up starting position to first round him as an outside linebacker. 4-3 teams may not see him as big enough to swing inside in situations. So he is purely a 4-3 defensive end.

I think some team is going to get a pleasant surprise after they draft him because they will discover he can do more things.

Did Boogie drop out of the 1st or was he always a late 1st or 2nd round prospect?

The Athletic ranks Newman the #11 QB between Franks and Book.

Last edited:
Boogie has been in plenty of mocks as a first rounder.

FWIW, think the earliest we could see Boogie drafted is 17 if the Raiders stay there. Gus Bradley is their new DC and he was at the table next to mine for Pro Day. One of the video assistants up there said he overheard Bradley tell somebody that it was the only Pro Day he was going to. When Boogie ran his 40, Bradley let out a "oooooh, boy."

Not saying that's a lock -- just that that feels like the earliest spot.

FWIW, think the earliest we could see Boogie drafted is 17 if the Raiders stay there. Gus Bradley is their new DC and he was at the table next to mine for Pro Day. One of the video assistants up there said he overheard Bradley tell somebody that it was the only Pro Day he was going to. When Boogie ran his 40, Bradley let out a "oooooh, boy."

Not saying that's a lock -- just that that feels like the earliest spot.

I've seen a lot of mocks with Boogie to the Steelers at 24 and also heard that Newman met with the Steelers at some point. Do you know if they sent a bunch of people to the pro day?

I've seen a lot of mocks with Boogie to the Steelers at 24 and also heard that Newman met with the Steelers at some point. Do you know if they sent a bunch of people to the pro day?

Not really -- the only reason I know about Bradley is because he was sitting 10 feet away and had Hemphill, Cohen and Clawson all come up to glad-hand and talk to him.

I do know that the Steelers ESPN reporter, Brooke Pryor, was on Wake's Zoom strictly because of Newman, because he fits the profile of them taking a developmental QB to stash for a year or two.

Not really -- the only reason I know about Bradley is because he was sitting 10 feet away and had Hemphill, Cohen and Clawson all come up to glad-hand and talk to him.

I do know that the Steelers ESPN reporter, Brooke Pryor, was on Wake's Zoom strictly because of Newman, because he fits the profile of them taking a developmental QB to stash for a year or two.

I could see Newman as the third QB on a team with a veteran starter. Some team who would do what Joe Gibbs did with QBs: Starter. Veteran backup who could step in and play if the starter was injured during a game. Developmental inexperienced third QB who was being developed and who would become the starter if the starter was out for more than a game or two. Jamie fits in that third spot. Big arm, good size, but a lot to learn.

I could see Newman as the third QB on a team with a veteran starter. Some team who would do what Joe Gibbs did with QBs: Starter. Veteran backup who could step in and play if the starter was injured during a game. Developmental inexperienced third QB who was being developed and who would become the starter if the starter was out for more than a game or two. Jamie fits in that third spot. Big arm, good size, but a lot to learn.

The problem with that now is that so few teams keep 3 QBs on the game day roster and to get him on the practice squad, you have to cut him and hope another team doesn't sign him before you can get him on the PS. So if he isn't a 4th round caliber pick or better, he will probably be looking at the PS for a bit.

The problem with that now is that so few teams keep 3 QBs on the game day roster and to get him on the practice squad, you have to cut him and hope another team doesn't sign him before you can get him on the PS. So if he isn't a 4th round caliber pick or better, he will probably be looking at the PS for a bit.

Seems to me like most teams do keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster. Some keep 3 and also add someone to the practice squad.

temp_QB_2.jpg

I could copy and paste all these from the 2018 season or you could just go look yourself

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/12/2...-a-3rd-qb-on-53-or-practice-squad-this-season

*Edit, the Joe Gibbs comment made me think of something, the NFL had a 3rd Quarterback rule up until 2011, where the 3rd Quarterback didn't count towards the 40 man game day roster. This isnt a thing anymore.

Last edited:
The practice squad guy dresses out I think and can play in an emergency.

Well never mind. Should have read your entire post.

Back