• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman NFL

WF would've had more participants in Pro Day, if not for the NCAA rule allowing for an extra year. Miles Fox, Traveon Redd, Ja'Sir Taylor and maybe Javonte Nash would've participated in pro day if they weren't coming back to WF.

Definitely. But if they were NFL prospects, they wouldn't be coming back and they'd be participating in Pro Day.

Here's a comparison for Boogie's 40 time. Dortch ran a 4.59 40 at the combine.

I can't see Surratt getting drafted with a 4.7 forty time.

No idea. I'd say it was COVID but his brother played. He could maybe get by with 6-2/209 and a 4.7 40 if he had more highlights or he'd get the advice that he needs to get to 230 and be a pass catching TE.

It's just hard not to be disappointed that Newman, Sage, and going back a few years Dortch severely overestimated themselves and didn't max out their college careers.

No idea. I'd say it was COVID but his brother played.

You say this as though brothers always have the same mindset and decision-making. Maybe Sage thought the risks of playing football and having a higher chance of getting COVID was a big deal and his brother didn't.

Most likely scenario is that Sage was close to leaving for the NFL after the 2019 season, then COVID happened and that pushed him to the other side of the decision. It may have been the wrong decision, but I also don't know that I've ever seen players get significantly faster through one extra year of playing, and if his 40 time is that big of a concern to NFL teams then more highlights of him high-pointing jump balls is pretty worthless. So minimizing the risks of additional injury, graduating from Wake, and trying his luck in the NFL seems reasonable to me.

I would not bury Sage's NFL prospects yet. Keep in mind the following 40 times for stud NFL receivers entering the NFL draft:

- Larry Fitzgerald 4.63
- Anquan Boldin 4.71
- Jerry Rice 4.71
- Chris Carter 4.63

More recently DaVante Adams ran a 4.56, Tyler Boyd ran a 4.58, Jarvis Landry ran a 4.61 on his pro day. Obviously, it will help if Surratt can improve on his 4.66.

No idea. I'd say it was COVID but his brother played. He could maybe get by with 6-2/209 and a 4.7 40 if he had more highlights or he'd get the advice that he needs to get to 230 and be a pass catching TE.

It's just hard not to be disappointed that Newman, Sage, and going back a few years Dortch severely overestimated themselves and didn't max out their college careers.

Greg Olsen is 6'5", 255 lbs and he's not even one of the big ones. Kelce is 6'5", 260 lbs. Ian Thomas is 6'3", 260 lbs.

This is correct. I was more understanding on Sage, but I thought for sure he'd be a mid-round pick (what the hell do I know??). Newman never made any sense to me - you transfer out of a system in which you were successful, then bail upon some competition being brought in, and take a pass on a 40 at pro day.

Agreed. But what is somewhat sad is that many, many people could have have given them objective advice at the time of their decisions. So many of these kids hear what they choose to hear.
I'll never understand the Newman decision.

I would not bury Sage's NFL prospects yet. Keep in mind the following 40 times for stud NFL receivers entering the NFL draft:

- Larry Fitzgerald 4.63
- Anquan Boldin 4.71
- Jerry Rice 4.71
- Chris Carter 4.63

More recently DaVante Adams ran a 4.56, Tyler Boyd ran a 4.58, Jarvis Landry ran a 4.61 on his pro day. Obviously, it will help if Surratt can improve on his 4.66.

Okay fine. But Fitzgerald was the #3 pick and Rice was #15. Bolding was mid second round and Carter was a third round supplemental pick, which is hard to compare. Sage isn't sniffing the first or second day right now.

And Surratt's 4.7 is hand timed, not combine.

Agreed. But what is somewhat sad is that many, many people could have have given them objective advice at the time of their decisions. So many of these kids hear what they choose to hear.
I'll never understand the Newman decision.

generally speaking?

maybe because being a college athlete is a pretty terrible experience (plus some athletes don't give a shit about school/education in the first place) and the potential to even make a lil piece of pro sport money looks pretty nice.

not that hard to understand why they might bolt for a chance.

not saying it's a good call, but the mindset isn't really that tough to understand.

generally speaking?

maybe because being a college athlete is a pretty terrible experience (plus some athletes don't give a shit about school/education in the first place) and the potential to even make a lil piece of pro sport money looks pretty nice.

not that hard to understand why they might bolt for a chance.

not saying it's a good call, but the mindset isn't really that tough to understand.

The mindset is extremely easy to understand. That was my entire point.

got it. sorry for misunderstanding.

Last edited:

This a 1000x. There has to be more to the Sage story. His brother played and he sat. Not that all brothers are the same, but its the same parents speaking to their kids. Then people opted back in and he still sat out. Claws is a class guy and would never say anything, but I just don't get it. By mid season it was clear that other receivers were moving ahead of him on draft boards. The guy went from a day two pick to an UDFA and it could have been avoided. He could have opted in at any point last year.

Newman's actions the last year scream character issues. He thought the grass would be greener in Athens and then got a taste of big time college football when they recruited over him before he even made it to campus. Instead of competing he ran.

Last edited:
Made me laugh that the @WakeFootball Instagram had a TON of shots of Boogie, a few each of Sage and Jack Crane, and none of Newman.

Newman's actions the last year scream character issues.

tenor.gif

Back