• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman NFL

I don't think opting back in with Georgia would have been an option for Mr. Newman once he opted out on September 2, just 3.5 weeks before the first game of the season. Pretty amazing that a starting quarterback could quit on two different teams who invested everything in him in just nine months.

I would expect Clawson to invite Newman to Wake's pro day in the spring. It is the right thing to do and Jamie will have a chance to be paired up with Sage again and shine. But he clearly screwed up and is likely looking now at the 3rd or 4th round. Opting out at Georgia two or three weeks after practice started was not a good look; wish he had pulled the ripcord on Georgia once they recruited over him. He might have still had a chance in early summer to land with a P5 team that needed a starting QB.

Although highly competitive, Clawson does not strike me as a vengeful type of guy. Nothing to be gained from being spiteful, but lots to be gained by showing some class. Sends a message to 90 other men. Clawson no doubt realizes that Newman could use some help reestablishing himself with scouts. Jamie no doubt realizes he screwed up with his decisions, and should be most appreciative of such a gesture. Jamie is a Wake grad after all.

It’s not every day Wake has a QB likely to get drafted. Clawson should welcome him back with open arms.

It’s easy to look at what’s going right, but a backup running back on the Jaguars had his season ended after being hospitalized twice for Covid.

If Newman initiated a request to participate in Wake's Pro Day, I think Clawson would be agreeable. I doubt Clawson would send an unsolicited invitation. Newman quit the program.

Newman a lot like Jalen Hurts, IMO, in his skill set. Their throwing ability pretty much the same. Accuracy sometimes suspect, but good enough to get a look. Ability to read defenses and react is questionable for both players. Hurts the better runner and has proven durability, but Newman is a few inches taller-- a big deal in the NFL. I didn't see Hurts as anything but a 5th round guy, but the Eagles snarfed him up in the 2nd round. Newman sitting the season out will not help his stock or get him a 2nd round pick barring some kind of ridiculous pro day where he runs a 4.4 and nails every pass, but I think he can be a 5th round guy.

I personally want Newman to identify himself as a Wake guy in the NFL because this is where his skills were honed and where he got on the radar. I would love for Wake and Clawson to get credit for that, instead of basically nobody. The flip side is that means I think he should be welcome at our pro day.

I hope Jamie and Sage go to Wake's pro day. It could help get more scouts to show up and see other guys. Jamie needs Sage wherever he goes. Somebody is going to have to reel in all of those underthrows.

I personally want Newman to identify himself as a Wake guy in the NFL because this is where his skills were honed and where he got on the radar. I would love for Wake and Clawson to get credit for that, instead of basically nobody. The flip side is that means I think he should be welcome at our pro day.

I'll be shocked if Newman ever takes a snap in a non-preseason NFL game.

if he's a backup QB good chance he'll get some action. Dallas is about to start their 3rd string QB this weekend, and what if he's injured?

I'll be shocked if Newman ever takes a snap in a non-preseason NFL game.

Prepare to be shocked then. That may be a catch-22 though ... once you start preparing to be shocked ...

I'll say it once again. Newman and Hartman were neck and neck in spring ball for two years. THE reason that Newman won the job last year was because Hartman had a redshirt year due him AND we had 4 games to play in and he would still retain his year. If there had been no COVID and we went into Spring ball last year, there WERE NO GUARANTEES that Newman would be the starter. He would have been in a dog fight. Newman is arguably a tougher matchup to prepare for than Hartman with his dual threat and size (which is why he is also a 2nd/3rd rd NFL QB potentially), but Hartman is a peacock and a grinder, and those are two things that work well for coaches and their relationship with QBs.

In other words, the writing was clearly on the wall that Newman had three options - turn pro (in hindsight, he should have), stay and fight for the starting job at Wake this year, or transfer to a pro style offense that had a clear need. He made the right choice with the info he had at the time. In hindsight, he should have gone pro. Under no scenarios (IMO), was staying at Wake a safe or better decision for his pro career.

Prepare to be shocked then. That may be a catch-22 though ... once you start preparing to be shocked ...

I'll say it once again. Newman and Hartman were neck and neck in spring ball for two years. THE reason that Newman won the job last year was because Hartman had a redshirt year due him AND we had 4 games to play in and he would still retain his year. If there had been no COVID and we went into Spring ball last year, there WERE NO GUARANTEES that Newman would be the starter. He would have been in a dog fight. Newman is arguably a tougher matchup to prepare for than Hartman with his dual threat and size (which is why he is also a 2nd/3rd rd NFL QB potentially), but Hartman is a peacock and a grinder, and those are two things that work well for coaches and their relationship with QBs.

In other words, the writing was clearly on the wall that Newman had three options - turn pro (in hindsight, he should have), stay and fight for the starting job at Wake this year, or transfer to a pro style offense that had a clear need. He made the right choice with the info he had at the time. In hindsight, he should have gone pro. Under no scenarios (IMO), was staying at Wake a safe or better decision for his pro career.

Not sure what you mean by "peacock", I have not seen him strutting too much along the sideline or talking about me, me and me. The back channels that I am hearing is that he is becoming the true leader of the team, particularly with the BLM and voting initiatives.

Back