• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jamie Newman NFL

socaldeac

Reaction score
Wake has the potential for 3 first round draft picks in NFL draft. Will Newman represent Wake or Georgia. Does he get to decide? It would be bizarre to Rep Georgia and never to play in a game. It would be nice to see Wake with 3 picks in first round. Especially for recruiting.

Me and Jamie have the same chance of being drafted in round one. Even Stevie wonder can see that!!11121!!!

My guess is that he reps Wake since he never played a down for UGA, but either way he’s a 3rd or 4th rounder at best now. Sitting out this fall didn’t help.

does he look back on his time at Wake fondly, or was he busting to seek greener pastures as soon as he blew up last season?

He gave us 4 years, got his college degree, and is an amazing representative for Wake Forest off the field. I still dont get bitterness towards him. If he stayed this year, Its possible Sam would have transferred to seek immediate playing time, so credit to Newman for that gift as well. With the new one time transfer rule inevitably happening, get used to a lot of our guys choosing to use their final year of eligibility elsewhere.

Hope Jamie finds a spot in the NFL and proud of everything he did for us.

He gave us 4 years, got his college degree, and is an amazing representative for Wake Forest off the field. I still dont get bitterness towards him. If he stayed this year, Its possible Sam would have transferred to seek immediate playing time, so credit to Newman for that gift as well. With the new one time transfer rule inevitably happening, get used to a lot of our guys choosing to use their final year of eligibility elsewhere.

I agree completely. The unfortunate things is that this a down year for QBs at UGA and Jamie would have had a chance to show what he could do with UGA-level talent.

Yep, I agree with this. No hard feeling toward Jamie at all. Boogie is the only one that might go first round.

Jamie led the team to wins over State twice, Duke twice, and UNC - three of those wins in one season. I love the guy. At the same time, I can think he made the wrong decision to transfer and then to sit out.

Newman screwed up. Shouldn't have left, as he could have put up video game numbers in the ACC. Shouldn't have sat out because it just looks like he wasn't good enough to start at UGA. Probably cost himself a lot of money. He's going to have to kill it in workouts to get drafted in the first two rounds.

Similarly to someone previously mentioned in another thread...

It is a strange plan of action (well, inaction) to prepare yourself for a future in football by not playing football. Who knows how these GM's and scouts think these days? Will they adopt the old saying, "what have you done for me lately?"

Similarly to someone previously mentioned in another thread...

It is a strange plan of action (well, inaction) to prepare yourself for a future in football by not playing football. Who knows how these GM's and scouts think these days? Will they adopt the old saying, "what have you done for me lately?"

I completely agree. Players play. If I were a GM I would seriously consider this in my eval. You want guys to be about more than just the benjaminz.

I think don’t have any bad feelings toward Jamie or Sage for their decisions, however I think it was a mistake for both to not play in hindsight. Right now it looks like all the BCS conferences will play some kind of schedule this year and if things go as planned by the end of the year, this season will have much more of a somewhat normal feel to it. So, I don’t see how it helps them to have chosen to sit it out. Of course at the time of their decisions, things looked a little different in all fairness.

It’s easy to look in hindsight. But we also don’t know what is going to happen the rest of this year. UF has a ton of cases. They’re spiking around the country.

It reminds me of the story Philip Seymour Hoffman tells at the end of Charlie Wilson’s War. We’ll see.

A lot of opt out guys opted back in, just not ours. Seemed like a bad decision to not leave options open at the time of opting out.

A lot of opt out guys opted back in, just not ours. Seemed like a bad decision to not leave options open at the time of opting out.

I equate it to a summer internship. Jamie got a taste of it LAST summer - he trained with a QB guru to position himself for an optimal transfer location and was successful. I think he saw what happens if you cut out the distractions (i.e., school, game planning, game prep) and focus on two things:

* Preparing for the NFL combine
* Preparing to be an NFL QB

Whatever Jamie learned when he was working with the QB Guru - coupled with the pandemic - led him to commit fully to training for his professional future.

I have no idea if he had Sage's ear, but Sage decided the same thing.

I think Jamie absolutely made the right decision. I think he made the right decision to transfer and the right decision to opt out. If he had stayed at Wake, there was no guarantee he would be our starting QB. He had a far easier path to starting QB at Georgia when he committed and even when he left their camp. The SEC has been more chaotic than the ACC as far as pandemic stuff.

Sage, I am on the fence. Wake is a pretty controlled environment. It makes more sense if he wasn't healthy enough in September.

But both guys are going to be making money in the NFL next year with the opportunity/possibility of making a lot of money over the next 10-15 years. Prepping to maximize that makes a bit of sense to me.

Back