• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Nick Andersen Appreciation Thread. Scholly?

CreamyGoodness

Thanks Creamy!
Reaction score
I don't think anybody thought Nick would be this productive this early but here we are. Kudos, young man! Can't wait to watch this for 4 more years.

Last edited:
Coming off of 9 tackles and a couple pass breakups last week. 20 tackles, 3 interceptions and a couple PBU's against his home state schools.

Conor called it in his newsletter

Young Deac to watch: (I’d first like to point out that last week’s pick was Caelen Carson, who had six tackles and a fantastic leaping interception, and I’ll never stick another one quite like that again.)

I’m making an executive decision here, as I am the executive editor and every title of this publication, and saying this doesn’t have to be an under-the-radar pick. So … Nick Andersen is the pick here. It’ll be interesting to see how the freshman walk-on safety follows up his breakthrough performance last weekend.

In the video of the players chanting scholly Clawson said Anderson will be on scholarship in the spring. Kid has earned it. Go deacs. Bummed us students couldn't be in the stands to see it, but the excitement among the student body for football is really high after this game.

Another kudo for Nick is that one of his 11 tackles prevented four points. A VaTech runner was headed for the endzone when Nick stopped him. There was nobody behind him. Instead of that play being a TD, VaTech had to settle for the three from the long FG.

That has to be one of the best walk-on performances in NCAA history. No joke. What a player.

I don't think anybody thought Nick would be this productive this early but here we are. Kudos, young man! Can't wait to watch this for 4 more years.

This story makes my modest annual contribution to the DC all the more meaningful.

Conor called it in his newsletter
Conor knows football and knows the Deacs at a level I’ve never seen before in a lengthy stretch of time.
Watch for his next call this week.

Yes, no way anyone picked Andersen to impact the team this much back in July, 2020.
Recruiting is a very tricky business on SO many levels!

It’s great when LOWF is the beneficiary since we’re not a UNC, MIAMI, tOSU, etc. where the NCAA rules are a mere suggestion to be skirted with the best clandestine schemes devised.

Gotta be the ACC defensive player if the week, right?

I appreciate that, DeacAssured.

Gotta be the ACC defensive player if the week, right?

ACC doesn't really do "defensive player of the week", it's split among position groups. I can't imagine anybody else in ACC would get defensive back of the week, though.

I appreciate that, DeacAssured.

ACC doesn't really do "defensive player of the week", it's split among position groups. I can't imagine anybody else in ACC would get defensive back of the week, though.

Got it. Agreed.

Nick got a lot of love on the Packer and Durham show this morning. Was, not surprisingly, the best of the best this week.

Nick's performances the last two games really help give credence to the other half of Clawson's philosophy, that if you can contribute, you will play. True freshman walk-on. Starting in the fifth game of the season and turning in a performance that five star guys would love to have. Three interceptions and 11 tackles. And that was a follow up to the nine tackle, two pass break-up performance against UVA.

That much success is a result of hard work, preparation and smart play. It isn't just him being lucky.

And it's good news that this season doesn't count towards future eligibility. Ie. there's no such thing as redshirting this year.
If Nick (and other freshmen) decide to stay and play 4 more years, they can do it.

In the year of Covid this is the national feel good story for sports fans. It really is awesome.

Back