• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs at Cuse - Halloween Noon - ACCN

October 31, 1987

Awesome Facilities !!!

47Ulhaa.jpg

That 2009 Miami game was an epic nightmare; my most awful memory as a WF fan, just nauseating. WF led 17-0 early and 27-14 in the 4th quarter (the last WF score came on a 44 yard Skinner to Givens TD pass). Miami was cooked.

Then, in the 4th quarter, with Skinner out of the game (IIRC, due to a late hit that wasn't called), WF muffed a punt inside its own 10 yard line. With a new possession on the goal line, Miami scored two plays later. Miami cut the lead to 27-21. Even so, the Deacs looked have the game won when the Canes faced a 4th and 16 on their own 41 with a 1:30 left. Naturally, Miami completed a 17 yard pass (the awful Jacory Harris was Miami's QB) to keep the drive alive and scored the go ahead TD right after. Even so, the Deacs almost rallied. WF's Ryan McManus played the only meaningful QB snaps of his career, and managed to drive the Deacs 36 yards, which included a mindless false start penalty, but the Deacs Jimmy Newman missed a 60 yard FG as time expired.

Of course, not only did that game ruin Halloween for me; showing my maturity, I was a complete nonresponsive a-hole for the rest of the night for my family and neighbors to ensure that everyone had a miserable Halloween. That game pisses me off to this day.

IIRC, wasn't there also a very questionable pass interference call on the same drive where they completed the 4th and 16?

My hope for this game is that we put it away early and continue to build on our progress on defense. Syracuse was in the game with Clemson but have to figure that was more a case of getting up for a big game than actual quality of their team. Don’t let them hang around late with an opportunity to steal one (again).

Maybe Cuse just has Clemson's number. They've played Clemson well much of Clemson's dominant stretch. Cuse almost beat them in 2018 and they did beat them in 2017. 2014 and 2015 were close.

Maybe Cuse just has Clemson's number. They've played Clemson well much of Clemson's dominant stretch. Cuse almost beat them in 2018 and they did beat them in 2017. 2014 and 2015 were close.

my theory is that Clemson just doesn't care about Cuse and it's their letdown game most years

1987 both those guys were gone

that's Elkins, right? don't know who #22 was in 1987

You know though, I think that picture is from 85 maybe. 87 was Dooley's first year and I'm pretty sure we went to the white flying WF without the helmet stripes and our jersey's were a little different.

http://nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/acc1.htm Scroll to the bottom and see our helmet starting in 1987.

Last edited:
Clemson's 2018 game against Syracuse is the one where Lawrence made his first start and got hurt, and Kelly Bryant had already left the team to preserve a transfer redshirt, meaning Clemson won the game with their thrid string QB, Chase Brice.

That 2009 Miami game was an epic nightmare; my most awful memory as a WF fan, just nauseating. WF led 17-0 early and 27-14 in the 4th quarter (the last WF score came on a 44 yard Skinner to Givens TD pass). Miami was cooked.

Then, in the 4th quarter, with Skinner out of the game (IIRC, due to a late hit that wasn't called), WF muffed a punt inside its own 10 yard line. With a new possession on the goal line, Miami scored two plays later. Miami cut the lead to 27-21. Even so, the Deacs looked have the game won when the Canes faced a 4th and 16 on their own 41 with a 1:30 left. Naturally, Miami completed a 17 yard pass (the awful Jacory Harris was Miami's QB) to keep the drive alive and scored the go ahead TD right after. Even so, the Deacs almost rallied. WF's Ryan McManus played the only meaningful QB snaps of his career, and managed to drive the Deacs 36 yards, which included a mindless false start penalty, but the Deacs Jimmy Newman missed a 60 yard FG as time expired.

Of course, not only did that game ruin Halloween for me; showing my maturity, I was a complete nonresponsive a-hole for the rest of the night for my family and neighbors to ensure that everyone had a miserable Halloween. That game pisses me off to this day.

It was pouring down rain. I was so depressed after that game I literally sat in my seat inside the stadium in the rain until the only people left where a couple of people from the grounds crew removing the goal post protector foam and endzone pylons. I remember looking up at the rain drops falling through the light towers. I couldn't move. The lowest I've ever been after a game and there have plenty of times we have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the last 45 years

It was pouring down rain. I was so depressed after that game I literally sat in my seat inside the stadium in the rain until the only people left where a couple of people from the grounds crew removing the goal post protector foam and endzone pylons. I remember looking up at the rain drops falling through the light towers. I couldn't move. The lowest I've ever been after a game and there have plenty of times we have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the last 45 years

A true Deacon fan. That passion is why we are all here.

22 was probably Mark Young. Or maybe Darryl McGill. Both were very good backs for us. (If that pic is from 85-86)

Yeah, I think it is picture from 85, so it’s Topper.

Yeah. Since the program is for game day in 1987, the picture was most likely taken at the Wake-Clemson game in 1985. The RB is Topper Clemons (from Cinnaminson NJ) and the QB is probably Mike Elkins.

Yeah. Since the program is for game day in 1987, the picture was most likely taken at the Wake-Clemson game in 1985. The RB is Topper Clemons (from Cinnaminson NJ) and the QB is probably Mike Elkins.

Yeah, I think 85 was the year Foy White got injured against Tennessee and Elkins was forced to play as a freshman.

Back to Saturday's game, WF is 1-6 the last 7 times as a away favorite.

Some other tidbits:

- Since Cuse's starting QB (Tommy DeVito) is out, they have been playing Rex Culpepper who has not played well (under 50% completions with 4 TDs and 4 picks. So, there is talk that Cuse may start true frosh Dillon Markiewicz, who played a few snaps against Clemson last week. Also, the Orange's top RB, Sean Tucker, and top WR, Taj Harris, were hurt against Clemson. Their status this week is unknown.

WF rarely brings its A game when it's a favorite (not counting the games against Elon and Campbell). This is game that WF should win, but not sure if it will be comfortable.

Back to Saturday's game, WF is 1-6 the last 7 times as a away favorite.

Some other tidbits:

- Since Cuse's starting QB (Tommy DeVito) is out, they have been playing Rex Culpepper who has not played well (under 50% completions with 4 TDs and 4 picks. So, there is talk that Cuse may start true frosh Dillon Markiewicz, who played a few snaps against Clemson last week. Also, the Orange's top RB, Sean Tucker, and top WR, Taj Harris, were hurt against Clemson. Their status this week is unknown.

WF rarely brings its A game when it's a favorite (not counting the games against Elon and Campbell). This is game that WF should win, but not sure if it will be comfortable.

You would have to assume Dino Babers gets a mulligan on this season with the pandemic and the awful attrition. But the let down last season after being preseason top 20 may cost him if they don't steal a few wins this season. They're staring down the barrel of a 1-10 season right now and that might just be his death sentence. I would give him another year even if that comes to fruition, I think he's the best coach they've had since joining the ACC and that's including Marrone.

I would normally be more nervous about this game and concerned about our focus, but after the ending last year I'm sure they will have our full attention.

Back