• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs at Cuse - Halloween Noon - ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
Our Deacs take a three game winning streak to upstate New York to face the 1-5 Orange.

Cuse is coming off their best game of the season as they hung with Clemson into the 3rd quarter (the Orange cut it to 27-21 in the 3Q; the Cuse did benefit from a blocked punt, and a pick six on a tipped pass). Before the attrition, the season was expected to be a struggle for Cuse, but over the first six games they have lost: their starting QB (Tommy DeVito), their best player (A-A safety Andre Sisco), their other starting safety Eric Coley, their leading rusher Sean Tucker, OL Dakota Davis, among others. Deacs are currently 11 point road favorites (WF is not often a double digit road favorite in a conference game), and find themselves in a revenge spot, having lost at the Carrier Dome to close the 2019 regular season.

Deacs need to win this one, as they will likely be dogs in 4 of the last 5, which include ranked UNC, Miami and ND. Then again, WF was a dog in each of its last two wins, including the win over the ranked Hokies...

Last edited:
Our Deacs take a three game winning streak to upstate New York to face the 1-5 Orange.

Cuse is coming off their best game of the season as they hung with Clemson into the 3rd quarter (the Orange cut it to 27-21 in the 3Q; the Cuse did benefit from a blocked punt, and a pick six on a tipped pass). Before the attrition, the season was expected to be a struggle for Cuse, but over the first six games they have lost: their starting QB (Tommy DeVito), their best player (A-A safety Andre Sisco), their other starting safety Eric Coley, their leading rusher Sean Tucker, OL Dakota Davis, among others. Deacs are currently 11 point road favorites (WF is not often a double digit road favorite in a conference game), and find themselves in a revenge spot, having lost at the Carrier Dome to close the 2019 regular season.

Deacs need to win this one, as they will likely be dogs in 4 of the last 5, which include ranked UNC, Miami and ND. Then again, WF was a dog in each of its last two wins, including the win over the ranked Hokies...

Must win to have any shot of getting to 6 wins I think. Can't have a let down after the big win against the Hokies, hopefully the revenge factor from last year will motivate our guys to come out and play as hard and as well as they did against Va. Tech. A winning season this year, against the schedule we have, would be really good.

Amazingly, this game and the game at L'vile are WF's only games this season outside of North Carolina. Stay COVID safe.

Random stat. Wake has played on 7 of the last 8 Halloweens that fell on a Saturday*. Each of those games was against a team that wears orange. To my knowledge, we haven't done black jerseys vs. orange jerseys.

2020 Cuse
2009 Miami
1998 Virginia
1992 Clemson
1987 Clemson
1981 Clemson (the 82-24 game)
1970 Tennessee

*We played Louisville on Friday, Oct 30 in 2015.

If our defense continues trending in the direction of the last two games, I honestly think we will be very competitive in all of our remaining games.

Not sure if Clawson had a come-to-Jesus with the DC or if it's the younger kids stepping up or both. Probably a little of both.

That 2009 Miami game was an epic nightmare; my most awful memory as a WF fan, just nauseating. WF led 17-0 early and 27-14 in the 4th quarter (the last WF score came on a 44 yard Skinner to Givens TD pass). Miami was cooked.

Then, in the 4th quarter, with Skinner out of the game (IIRC, due to a late hit that wasn't called), WF muffed a punt inside its own 10 yard line. With a new possession on the goal line, Miami scored two plays later. Miami cut the lead to 27-21. Even so, the Deacs looked have the game won when the Canes faced a 4th and 16 on their own 41 with a 1:30 left. Naturally, Miami completed a 17 yard pass (the awful Jacory Harris was Miami's QB) to keep the drive alive and scored the go ahead TD right after. Even so, the Deacs almost rallied. WF's Ryan McManus played the only meaningful QB snaps of his career, and managed to drive the Deacs 36 yards, which included a mindless false start penalty, but the Deacs Jimmy Newman missed a 60 yard FG as time expired.

Of course, not only did that game ruin Halloween for me; showing my maturity, I was a complete nonresponsive a-hole for the rest of the night for my family and neighbors to ensure that everyone had a miserable Halloween. That game pisses me off to this day.

Last edited:
That 2009 Miami game was an epic nightmare; my most awful memory as a WF fan, just nauseating. WF led 17-0 early and 27-14 in the 4th quarter (the last WF score came on a 44 yard Skinner to Givens TD pass). Miami was cooked.

Then, in the 4th quarter, with Skinner out of the game (IIRC, due to a late hit that wasn't called), WF muffed a punt inside its own 10 yard line. Miami cut the lead to 27-21. Even so, the Deacs looked have the game won when the Canes faced a 4th and 16 on their own 41 with a 1:30 left. Naturally, Miami completed a 17 yard pass (the awful Jacory Harris was Miami's QB) to keep the drive alive. Miami scored two plays later. Even so, the Deacs almost rallied. WF's Ryan McManus played the only meaningful QB snaps of his career, and managed to drive the Deacs 36 yards, which included a mindless false start penalty, but the Deacs Jimmy Newman missed a 60 yard FG as time expired.

Of course, not only did that game ruin Halloween for me; showing my maturity, I was a complete nonresponsive a-hole for the rest of the night for my family and neighbors to ensure that everyone had a miserable Halloween. That game pisses me off to this day.

Newman also missed a very makeable FG earlier in the 4th quarter that would have iced it. Ylou Brown trying to field a punt in the rain inside the 10 was an epic fail.

Then, in the 4th quarter, with Skinner out of the game (IIRC, due to a late hit that wasn't called), WF muffed a punt inside its own 10 yard line. Miami cut the lead to 27-21. Even so, the Deacs looked have the game won when the Canes faced a 4th and 16 on their own 41 with a 1:30 left. Naturally, Miami completed a 17 yard pass (the awful Jacory Harris was Miami's QB) to keep the drive alive. Miami scored two plays later. Even so, the Deacs almost rallied. WF's Ryan McManus played the only meaningful QB snaps of his career, and managed to drive the Deacs 36 yards, which included a mindless false start penalty, but the Deacs Jimmy Newman missed a 60 yard FG as time expired.

That game was especially painful as part of a 5-game losing streak to take the Deacs out of bowl contention. Deacs followed that heartbreaker with the OT loss at #10 Georgia Tech in what could have been the second top ten win in program history; Deacs led at halftime and then had the ball at GT's 35 with a minute to play in a tie game; Rinfrette got trucked and yielded a sack, pushing us out of FG range. Losing streak also included a loss at Navy in a monsoon.

That game was especially painful as part of a 5-game losing streak to take the Deacs out of bowl contention. Deacs followed that heartbreaker with the OT loss at #10 Georgia Tech in what could have been the second top ten win in program history; Deacs led at halftime and then had the ball at GT's 35 with a minute to play in a tie game; Rinfrette got trucked and yielded a sack, pushing us out of FG range. Losing streak also included a loss at Navy in a monsoon.

This and the aforementioned Miami game really harshed my vibe. I had completely forgotten about those games.

Random stat. Wake has played on 7 of the last 8 Halloweens that fell on a Saturday*. Each of those games was against a team that wears orange. To my knowledge, we haven't done black jerseys vs. orange jerseys.

2020 Cuse
2009 Miami
1998 Virginia
1992 Clemson
1987 Clemson
1981 Clemson (the 82-24 game)
1970 Tennessee

*We played Louisville on Friday, Oct 30 in 2015.

That's completely awesome and how have we not made orange v black happen? We owe it to the college football world in 2020.

Whats the rule of thumb about the Washington football team on the weekend before the election? A win at home means incumbent victory or something?

I’d be surprised if double digit road favorite (in conference) has happened even 10 times in our history?

Then, in the 4th quarter, with Skinner out of the game (IIRC, due to a late hit that wasn't called), WF muffed a punt inside its own 10 yard line. With a new possession on the goal line, Miami scored two plays later. Miami cut the lead to 27-21. Even so, the Deacs looked have the game won when the Canes faced a 4th and 16 on their own 41 with a 1:30 left. Naturally, Miami completed a 17 yard pass (the awful Jacory Harris was Miami's QB) to keep the drive alive and scored the go ahead TD right after. Even so, the Deacs almost rallied. WF's Ryan McManus played the only meaningful QB snaps of his career, and managed to drive the Deacs 36 yards, which included a mindless false start penalty, but the Deacs Jimmy Newman missed a 60 yard FG as time expired.

I went to a party that night with some friends and a girl I was trying to date and I’m sure I did NOT make a good impression.

Good recap of that game event. With a few finer details I didn't necessarily immediately recall. I will add one point, my vivid recall of the muffed punt was it was well INSIDE the 5. Never should have been an attempt to field. Biggest brain fa#t I recall in 60 years of following Wake football.

On a much happier note, the Clemson game in 1992 was one of my best memories as a Wake fan. My brother and I were sitting in the bleachers that used to be on top of Deacon Hill. When Todd Dixon scored the game winning touchdown, everyone around us went crazy. We were all hugging strangers. It was our first win over Clemson since 1976. That was also our last home game of the season. We were on the road for all of November. I remember going to the games at Duke and at State.

Clemson 1992 epic.

At Navy 2009 should have been delayed start. Lightning at half time too. Those guys love water. When it finally stopped raining, we nearly came back to win. We had the better team and much better QB.

Clemson 1992 epic.

At Navy 2009 should have been delayed start. Lightning at half time too. Those guys love water. When it finally stopped raining, we nearly came back to win. We had the better team and much better QB.

I'm still drying out from that game.

My hope for this game is that we put it away early and continue to build on our progress on defense. Syracuse was in the game with Clemson but have to figure that was more a case of getting up for a big game than actual quality of their team. Don’t let them hang around late with an opportunity to steal one (again).

Back