• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: BIFF IS STEALING THE CHAT THREAD !

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are y'all's plans for Halloween?

My neighborhood is doing socially distanced trick or treating with an informal contest for giving out candy from >6 feet. We bought a bunch of those army parachute men toys and one of us will drop candy from the second floor while the other takes the kids.

last night as I was leaving my brother's apartment I was trying to handle the mask-glasses-hearing aid mess that is behind my ears and one of my hearing aids got slingshotted by the mask strap, so I just hired a metal detectorist who found it in some bushes in a few minutes

I never knew metal detectorist was a service offered by people.

again, gonna be a big dick here but in my experience especially on teh politics board i don't see a lot of empathy for people outside this in-group of privilege

i relayed a story of a family member killing himself after rationing medical care from continued unemployment and drastic poverty and was met with "he should have voted democrat" as the subtextual response. i am closer to empathizing with the 40-60% of nonvoters who think nobody will improve their lives via govt than i am with either party in 2020. i think i get more radicalized with each passing month of do-nothingness from our leaders. i think the earth will be largely uninhabitable in either my son or his children's lifetime, which seems like a bigger deal than knight going "wow that's big gay." i guess you try and control the things you can control.

also i might be completely out of serotonin from lack of sleep

well, for one you're comparing the empathy for other people in this specific group with empathy for the rest of the planet. seems a little silly but you do you.

i know when i'm; on the playground and one of the kids tells the other kid he's going to kill him and a parent says "hey, don't say" i always remind them that there are millions of people without clean drinking water and maybe he should reflect on that instead

I lived next door to a very mentally handicapped girl only a few years older than me for my entire childhood. The hard "r" word isn't a funny insult/joke, and really needs to go away for good. I've seen first hand how much it can hurt someone, and even more so, their family members.

However I also certainly wouldn't let it bother me on an anonymous internet message board and consider it my SJW duty to scold someone or question their real-life integrity for 10+ pages. Surely there are more important things in life to occupy one's mind & attention.

my presumption for both knight and creamy is that for their own children they are teaching them that everyone on earth is deserving of love and respect, regardless of who they are, and that if they caught their children saying the words they say on here, the kids would have repercussions. i think that's probably the appropriate level of woke scolding, the kind with real world repercussions to limit harm.

again, gonna be a big dick here but in my experience especially on teh politics board i don't see a lot of empathy for people outside this in-group of privilege

i relayed a story of a family member killing himself after rationing medical care from continued unemployment and drastic poverty and was met with "he should have voted democrat" as the subtextual response. i am closer to empathizing with the 40-60% of nonvoters who think nobody will improve their lives via govt than i am with either party in 2020. i think i get more radicalized with each passing month of do-nothingness from our leaders. i think the earth will be largely uninhabitable in either my son or his children's lifetime, which seems like a bigger deal than knight going "wow that's big gay." i guess you try and control the things you can control.

Edit: Also moving my post over to the Political CT

Sorry for getting too political in the chat dudes

Last edited:
well, for one you're comparing the empathy for other people in this specific group with empathy for the rest of the planet

hm i don't think i am doing that

maybe i was unclear with my real world example

roasted butternut squash with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper is delicious.

I lived next door to a very mentally handicapped girl only a few years older than me for my entire childhood. The hard "r" word isn't a funny insult/joke, and really needs to go away for good. I've seen first hand how much it can hurt someone, and even more so, their family members.

The elementary school that I attended and that my mom taught at was the area EC school. My god sister also had special needs. Because of that I grew up in an inclusive environment and learned at any early age how fucked up these kind of jokes are. I am very thankful for that upbringing.

I’m going to put my response to this on the politics chat thread, but I had a similar thought

However I also certainly wouldn't let it bother me on an anonymous internet message board and consider it my SJW duty to scold someone or question their real-life integrity for 10+ pages. Surely there are more important things in life to occupy one's mind & attention.

I agree with everyone that retarded is an offensive word. I also agree with both of these posts.

I said y'all were gay snowflakes and you'd think I fucked your mom's or something.

Also, people evolve and learn as they go, so me being ripped on for voting Trump in 2016 is dismissing the fact that I've educated myself on the importance he isn't president in 2021. Continuing to harp on that is only going to keep posters around here who support him to continue staying quiet and never open up about different political views...Non politically speaking, of course.

But anyways, I'm done discussing the ridiculousness of hurting people's feelings on message boards. Would be happy to answer any questions via PM.

Does anybody else occasionally sleep eat? This is something I should probably get checked out, right?

my presumption for both knight and creamy is that for their own children they are teaching them that everyone on earth is deserving of love and respect, regardless of who they are, and that if they caught their children saying the words they say on here, the kids would have repercussions. i think that's probably the appropriate level of woke scolding, the kind with real world repercussions to limit harm.

Thank you, Townie, for being a reasoned voice in this discussion. You are 100% correct. I would never allow my children to harm anyone, in any way.

This is the kind of response that gives me a good reason to not be offensive around here. It's hard to apologize when being attacked but due to Townie having the ability to discern between silly message board banter and the real world, I do apologize to those that I've offended. I'll work on not making gay jokes on these forums. I don't think I said retard but if I did, I'm certainly sorry to throw around harmful slur like that.

Last edited:
Ok I need to remember to untag other posters... But my last response was to Townie.

So, creamy, with that response in mind, where do you stand now on Knight's continued advocacy for such terms? Do you still find it funny knowing that many people find it offensive?

(That's what I was interested in learning about from the start, before you called me a prick)

So, creamy, with that response in mind, where do you stand now on Knight's continued advocacy for such terms? Do you still find it funny knowing that many people find it offensive?

(That's what I was interested in learning about from the start, before you called me a prick)

It's hard to find offense on an internet message board in my opinion. For that reason, I'm not going to further comment on anything that was said in the past. I will view each future post, from everyone here, with the understanding that many find certain words and phrases offensive.

I know you won't like that answer. Also, I don't think you're a prick and, despite our differences on these boards, I bet we could find some common ground and even enjoy a beer together at a tailgate one day.

It's hard to find offense on an internet message board in my opinion. For that reason, I'm not going to further comment on anything that was said in the past. I will view each future post, from everyone here, with the understanding that many find certain words and phrases offensive.

I know you won't like that answer. Also, I don't think you're a prick and, despite our differences on these boards, I bet we could find some common ground and even enjoy a beer together at a tailgate one day.

Very diplomatic post, and actually I find that to be an extremely reasonable response. In fact, all I really asked of you above was to think about the way that stuff like this can impact other people.

I'm not personally offended by most of what I read on this board (knight's bs included), but I always think it's worth talking about the impact of punching down. Good reminder to me too.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure we'd have zero problem drinking a beer at a tailgate or any other time or place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back