• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: BIFF IS STEALING THE CHAT THREAD !

Status
Not open for further replies.
about to dip out to pick up my bro and nieces from the hospital

hold down the Deacs for me

My power is out indefinitely. Not cool on a College Football Saturday.

That sucks.

After our 34 hours without power, some aspects of which we found a way to enjoy, I marvel at how dependent we are today on household electric power. Something humans lived without for 200,000 years.

Looking at real estate prices in Charlotte, I would have never guessed they were so high. Why? Can't you like live a 30 minute commute outside of the city at a third of the cost?

Covid apparently had people feeling crazy generous this year, because we went to 7 houses and my kids both have 2 overflowing buckets and a giant bag of candy a piece.

Looking at real estate prices in Charlotte, I would have never guessed they were so high. Why? Can't you like live a 30 minute commute outside of the city at a third of the cost?

Poor layout of the roads over time (dumb farm paths over hilly land vs a traditional grid) and no forward thinking road infrastructure (two lane roads to giant tract housing burbs) plus the huge geographic footprint of the city means a 30 minute commute to a fairly compact downtown area requires you to live pretty close.

charlottes got a lot.

that quote from the Playboy interview about slapping women is pretty nuts

Listening to XmFly this morning got me thinking, which is the greatest rap lyric of all time,

"I don't have no problem with you fucking me
But I have a little problem wit you not fucking me"

Or

"Real G's move in silence like lasagna"?

that quote from the Playboy interview about slapping women is pretty nuts

Trying to find it...here's something from here: Talk:Sean Connery/Archive 1

Abuse of Women quote
I've heard this mentioned many times, but I've never found a source of what he actually said. Anyone have a pointer to where I could see that excerpt of the interview? -Fuzzy 16:51, 30 September 2005 (UTC)

Playboy 1965 "I don't think there is anything particularly wrong in hitting a woman, though I don't recommend you do it the same way that you hit a man." (Connery) It's buried in this [1] report. His ex-wife is writing an autobiography where shes claiming that he bullied her. K1Bond007 17:06, 30 September 2005 (UTC)
Connery also caused an uproar when he said similar things on the Barbara Walters show in December 1987. There have always been allegations, which he denies, that he physically abused his first wife during their marriage (they divorced in 1973).

This quote is mis-leading, if taken in context Sean Connery was discussing the fact that women should not be exempt from violence on account of the fact that they were women, and takes into account that men that are in situations that call for violence should take into account the fact that women are generally physically weaker.

Weather he is right or not, I think that it is mis-representing his views as written.

He later claimed his words had been taken out of context, but certaionly it is something that is always mentioned regarding Connery.

pretty charitable take

PLAYBOY: How do you feel about roughing up a woman, as Bond sometimes has to do?

CONNERY: I don't think there is anything particularly wrong about hitting a woman ... although I don't recommend doing it in the same way that you'd hit a man. An openhanded slap is justified ... if all other alternatives fail and there has been plenty of warning. If a woman is a bitch, or hysterical, or bloody-minded continually, then I'd do it. I think a man has to be slightly advanced, ahead of the woman. I really do ... by virtue of the way a man is built, if nothing else. But I wouldn't call myself sadistic. I think one of the appeals that Bond has for women, however, is that he is decisive, cruel even. By their nature women aren't decisive ... "Shall I wear this? Shall I wear that?" ... and along comes a man who is absolutely sure of everything and he's a godsend. And, of course, Bond is never in love with a girl and that helps. He always does what he wants, and women like that. It explains why so many women are crazy about men who don't give a rap for them.

http://conduitcut.blogspot.com/2012/12/sean-connery-playboy-interview-nov-1965.html

link to pic of magazine interview, pull quote at bottom left: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d1/d5/a5/d1d5a57f0fcc6cb087157d1ec50456fa.jpg

Dude, there's no question that Sean Connery was cool with putting an open hand schmack on a lippy broad, but only when "called for."

Personally, I've never hit a woman, but I lament the stigma that physical altercations between men has accrued. I know drafting the law would be hard, but I feel like certain kinds of physical assault should be legal (especially in the case of "fighting words"). There are SO MANY people in this world that just need one or two good ass beatings to help them appreciate the world in a different light.

did anyone think to ask Sean about whether or not his feelings had changed in the 40 years since he was actively promoting his hit character

I think I’m going to have to start having some difficult conversations with my family about Thanksgiving.

My brother and his girlfriend were out at the bars for Halloween. My parents are driving to Maryland this week to visit my brother and his wife and are constantly going out to eat.

Meanwhile my wife and I have been stuck at home for 7 months with a toddler.

I think I’m going to have to start having some difficult conversations with my family about Thanksgiving.

My brother and his girlfriend were out at the bars for Halloween. My parents are driving to Maryland this week to visit my brother and his wife and are constantly going out to eat.

You should just fight them.

yeah we told everyone we're not doing thanksgiving unless they decided to live our life of total inconvenience for just two weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back