• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home WiFi

DeacsPop

Resident Old Man
Reaction score
My homes not large (2800 sq.ft and 1 floor) but my WiFi strength sucks. Back rooms barely get anything.
I got quoted $325 by a local electronic store to come in with 3 devices placed around the home and get the speed up.
Is there a better, and inexpensive way to get this done?
Thanks

I would be curious what they’re putting in. We upgraded to Google Nest early on in the pandemic with 3 access points (added a 4th outside recently).

It’s made a massive difference but the 3 points was about $350.

I would be curious what they’re putting in. We upgraded to Google Nest early on in the pandemic with 3 access points (added a 4th outside recently).

It’s made a massive difference but the 3 points was about $350.

Not sure but that was around the price he quoted.

Not sure but that was around the price he quoted.

Mesh internet systems are the way to go. There are several brands available at all of the major retailers. The price will depend on the number of hubs that you get. A simple search on each manufacturers website will tell you how much square footage each hub will cast. You will probably be good with two hubs. A review site like cnet.com will point you in the right direction.

Once you decide on a model you can set it up yourself pretty easily. I imagine you will probably spend $200-250.

I used a simple range extender repeater. Plugs into an outlet, picks up the router signal, amplifies it and resends it. That covered the other end of the house. The main router is at one end of a long rambler.

Cost about $20 and 10 minutes to set up.

Mesh internet systems are the way to go. There are several brands available at all of the major retailers. The price will depend on the number of hubs that you get. A simple search on each manufacturers website will tell you how much square footage each hub will cast. You will probably be good with two hubs. A review site like cnet.com will point you in the right direction.

Once you decide on a model you can set it up yourself pretty easily. I imagine you will probably spend $200-250.

This is the answer. I have tried wifi extenders, and you get what you pay for. The mesh systems are far and away better. And a simple plug and play. I got a Google nest system from Costco and it's been terrific (very necessary because we use Roku/YouTube TV and need good internet in multiple rooms).

Last edited:
I used a simple range extender repeater. Plugs into an outlet, picks up the router signal, amplifies it and resends it. That covered the other end of the house. The main router is at one end of a long rambler.

Cost about $20 and 10 minutes to set up.

This is what we do, as well, and it’s worked out great for us. Former dead spots can now stream Netflix, YoutubeTV, Peloton, etc without any trouble.

Before you leave invest $350, determine whether your speed or your range (coverage) is the problem. If you’re getting full range coverage, but the up/down speeds are bad, extenders aren’t going to solve your problem. You could just need to reposition your router, or to change your connection settings.

We have an Orbi router with an extender. Pretty sure it’s under $200. Our first floor is about the same sq ft as your house. Router is in the master bedroom closet. Extender is by the TV in the living room on the other side of the house. That’s enough to cover TVs and tablets on the first floor and patio along with video game consoles in the bonus room upstairs.

i bought an Orbi system when we moved. our house is all one floor and the satellites work very well, even booming into the yard ~50-75yds or so away. We have two satellites. It was just plug and play - i wouldn't hire someone to install it; i don't think it's necessary even for the tech disinclined.

Last edited:
i bought an Orbi system when we moved. our house is all one floor and the satellites work very well, even booming into the yard ~50-75yds or so away. We have two satellites. It was just plug and play - i wouldn't hire someone to install it; i don't think it's necessary even for the tech disinclined.

Yeah. I forgot to mention that. The instructions are very easy to follow. Plug and play. Couldn’t be much simpler.

that's the same size as dcdeac's powder room!

Piling on. The mesh made a huge difference for us. After 15 minutes of on line comparing, we went with google Nest version. Was around $325 for 3 access points. Took no more than 20 minutes to install all of them (and go outside to throw away the box). They also act as speakers so there's that.

My new issue is my home laptop hums while my work one and all the firewall crap is much slower. Evidently there is a fix, I just need to find the time to call tech support.

Google fiber is about to get turned on in our hood so thinking hard of making the switch. The issue is my wife uses an nc.rr.com email address and she refuses to change. I'm thinking about a divorce.

From worst to best:

1) Single band repeater: Amplifies your current WiFi but shares the same band. Works but can cause drastic speed reductions.
2) Dual band repeater: Same as above but has a dedicated channel for the added traffic.
3) Powerline Extender: Uses your electrical outlet and underlying power circuit to transmit to another outlet. Fast but dependent on a good electric cabling setup at higher speeds.
4) Mesh Network: Imho Orbi best, Google Nest 2nd, Eero 3rd, all are excellent. Leverages backhaul channels and smart features to create a single seamless WiFi network. Consider a cabled back-haul if you have Gigabit FiOS. Dead simple to set up and support. Fewest issues over time.

Thanks so much for all the help.
I got someone coming in to tell me what the best System for me would be as I'm totally lost with this shit and its become a bit too much. But thanks again.

Wanted to resurrect this thread as having wifi issues as well now that my wife and I are both working from home and are on Webex meetings half the day. Router and modem are downstairs and both are about 5 years old. Don't have issues downstairs with wifi, but do have issues upstairs in the office. Purchased a wifi extender and it has helped some but wifi will lose connection quite frequently or will have latency issues due to poor signal strength.

Is the mesh system going to solve my problem or is there anything else I need to do such as also update my router or modem? Also, any updated recommendations on a mesh system or do the recommendations from last year still hold true?

Wanted to resurrect this thread as having wifi issues as well now that my wife and I are both working from home and are on Webex meetings half the day. Router and modem are downstairs and both are about 5 years old. Don't have issues downstairs with wifi, but do have issues upstairs in the office. Purchased a wifi extender and it has helped some but wifi will lose connection quite frequently or will have latency issues due to poor signal strength.

Is the mesh system going to solve my problem or is there anything else I need to do such as also update my router or modem? Also, any updated recommendations on a mesh system or do the recommendations from last year still hold true?

Mesh probably solves your issue.

If your router/modem came new 5 years ago, then you shouldn't be impacted by that equipment. However, the DOCSIS standard changed around 2010, and if your modem doesn't support DOCSIS 3.0, you need to get a new one.

Back